hunterway x

has anyone heard of or seen a hunterway x bullxgrey, I have the chance to x these dogs and was thinking it might make for a good mix, sire a very intelligent working sheepdog with loads of stamina and the dam a very good working 1/4bullx3/4grey. I want something for foxing on the open mountains, and these dogs are available to me. Please be kind, I'm asking the question so constructive critisism or advice please.

Guest mucker

personaly i wouldnt take the chance on them if fox is what your after,not even if it was the occasional fox.

go for something where both parents are hammering them.

personaly i wouldnt take the chance on them if fox is what your after,not even if it was the occasional fox.

go for something where both parents are hammering them.

Thanks for your reply Mucker

It's just something I've been thinking about rather than using a collie, trying to introduce some intelligence and stamina without losing size, as the hunterway is a big dog. one concern was the barking tho.

It's just something I've been thinking about rather than using a collie, trying to introduce some intelligence and stamina without losing size, as the hunterway is a big dog. one concern was the barking tho.

WATS A HUNTERWAY??? HAS ANYONE GOT A PIC??

It's a sheepdog from New Zealand

been trying to get pics on for you but can't seem to manage it sorry.

try this link for pics

huntaway

Guest buster

try this link for pics

huntaway

I have just done a bit of research on the hunterway dogs, i found it on google search "hunterway-Photo sharing" The dog is a mixer of these breeds known as the border collie,rottweiller,german shephard and labs,the dog as become the national heritage dog in new zealand.

The dogs have alot of stamina working al day on the rough outback.

The average height is around 51-61cm at the shoulder, it weights upto 18-30kg.

I hope that helps you " Good Hunting for now" Buster :good::good::good:

huntaways are usually black and tan or saddle patterned and vary in looks from a leggy smooth coated sheepdog type to a smallish rottweiler. they work livestock by barking which is not exactly what you want to encourage in a lurcher cross :no:

mad max films is that one :yes:

Thats an Australian Cattle Dog :yes::yes::yes:

Why not use a foxhound? A couple of people around my way use them to cross with lurchers and they are ideal for foxing on the mountains. Or....if going for something a little different why not try a German Wirehaired Pointer? From what i know of huntaways they herd sheep up and drive them by being very vocal but they are not used for cutting out sheep or anything that requires a great deal of intelligence. Also seen some massive dogs and little bitches out of the same litter.

Just an opinion....hope a smart arse is going to try and rip this to shreds. :whistle:

HAD A LOOK THERE, I THINK THEY ARE A VARAIBLE TYPE OF DOG. TO BE HONEST IT WOULDNT BE TO MY TASTE,, WELL CERTAINLY NOT TO CROSS TO A LURCHER. I CANT SEE THE PUPS BEING VERY RACEY! ITS ONLY MY OPINION AND IM NO EXPERT, BUT IF IT WAS ME I WOULDNT BE BREEDING IT TO A LURCHER!! :)

they cross labs

Loads of em on the streets known by another name over here heinz 57 seriously though if you want a dog for mountain work consider a deerhound or deerhound x something thats doing the job you require as there would be too much wastage using a hunterheinz

well i can comment on this, we have a dozen or so in the kennels :yes: they wouldn't add anything to a lurcher cross, apart from the likelyhood of it barking it's head off. they do get used on pigs here but are worth too much as working dogs to risk getting them ripped up by a boar. the proper name is "huntaway" the refers to the fact they cast off and hunt out sheep when mustering. they push sheep and make good yard dogs, able to work from sun up to sun down barking all day in some pretty harsh weather, it's one of the two dogs born and bred in new zealand. they also come in long hair or coated similar to a beardie. they are not collies but mustering dogs. some get crossed with nz heading dogs and are know as headnhunt dogs.

thanks to everyone on their views and comments, I dont think I'll be going ahead with a huntaway x now but the foxhound sounds good apart from maybe having to walk a 150 miles to get it back.