Jill or Hobb

Guest Countryboyo

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Countryboyo
You can have them jabbed yearly at the vets to bring them out of season.

Cost around £10 - £15 depending on where in the country you are.

Do you have to get themjjabbed when there in heat or just once a year at any time? how often are they in heat?

Guest shadowz

Just when they come into heat - so when u see the vulva is swollen u take them to the vet and they jab them.

Sometimes its just once a year but you might need it twice.

But even if twice a year £20 is not that bad to keep them healthy and free from infections.

Guest Countryboyo
Just when they come into heat - so when u see the vulva is swollen u take them to the vet and they jab them.

But even if twice a year £20 is not that bad to keep them healthy and free from infections.

Thanks lad. is it possible to get small hobs?

Yes, Magwitch on here has got small Hobbs. :yes:

I use both week in week out up the dales and prefer the big strong hobs,you have too dig more but the buggers bolt at some pace when the big lads get behind them.Whether this has any bearing on this or not i don,t know but i only feed mine on rabbit heads and front ends,mine will kill in no time but will come away after a while if they cannot get too a rabbits head.Food for thought?

I have a couple of small to medium hobs, brothers. These are just as game as the bigger hobs with just as much fire, but more get away from these 2.

They take the knocks well, stick at it till the end, but more definatley get away from these 2 than the larger hobs.

It's just a bugger when you breakthrough, and they dragged along the tube 2 ft! :cry:

Which are better workers and less likely to kill below ground? Im thinking of getting two hobs and starting a bit of ferreting.2 Hobbs so I wont have the expence of neutering females. But I heard hobbs are more likely than jills to kill below ground.????

youre right there mate jills are easier to work with !!

Guest Countryboyo

well as I said the warrens where I am are almost un-diggable. Is there any other way to reduce the amount of kills below ground and improve the bolt rate? I know you can trim the nails.

If you NEVER want to dig, forget ferreting, i use both hob and jill, yes, the hob kills more often, but the jill has killed her fair share, i have never HAD to dig to either, they both come out, but i dig to get the rabbits they have killed, it would be a waste not to.

If i had to choose just one, i'd go with my hob.

Guest Countryboyo
If you NEVER want to dig, forget ferreting, i use both hob and jill, yes, the hob kills more often, but the jill has killed her fair share, i have never HAD to dig to either, they both come out, but i dig to get the rabbits they have killed, it would be a waste not to.

If i had to choose just one, i'd go with my hob.

Would it be ok to house two hobs together?