Phobia's

The only thing I have ever been frightened of in my life is "NEEDLES", it has affected me for over thirty years of my life now, and is a real pain.

I have avoided dentists (as some of you may already know), doctors, hospitals and anyone else that may want to poke me with one of the horrible implements.

I married a nurse and she calls me a big puff (6'4" and 16st(not her that is me)), she has offered to give me tetanus and extract blood, all to no avail.

I know in my head it will not hurt (much) but can still not abide any thing to do with them, the thought of it makes me want to run and hide! Yet I can kill things, gut them and eat them, have really nasty cuts and glue them together with super glue (rather than get it stitched), but can not even imagine someone sticking a needle in my arm!

I can not offer any rational explanation for this, apart from I will not allow anyone to stick any thing sharp into me!

There is only one good thing that I can see to this ..... " I would never be a junkie".

The term for my phobia is "Trypanophobia" it is the one and only thing that makes me shiver at the thought of it, I have no explanation of my irrational fear, but it really has affected my life.

This extract directly affecting me :

Resistive

Resistive Trypanophobia occurs when the underlying fear involves not simply needles or injections but also being controlled or restrained. It typically stems from repressive upbringing or poor handling of prior needle procedures i.e with forced physical or emotional restraint.

This form of trypanophobia affects around 20% of needle phobes. Symptoms of this form of trypanophobia include combativeness, high heart rate coupled with extremely high blood pressure, violent resistance, avoidance and flight.

The suggested treatment for this form of trypanophobia is psychotherapy, teaching the patient self-injection techniques or finding a trusted healthcare provider.

I recently went for a blood pressure test and blood test (its my age) I refused the blood test, and my blood pressure was sky high, booked for a retest (not an M.O.T) without blood test and my blood pressure was normal!

So come on what's your phobia folks? How has it affected your lives?

It really would be nice to hear if you had a phobia and managed to conquer it too.

Love "n" peas,

Gav.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im scared of the dark :icon_redface: my mum gets anoyed moaning the hall light being on keeps her awake, dont just want a little bit of light ethier i need the full light coming into the room or i wont sleep id sit there or end up turning on the hall light and having a major aurgument at silly hours in the morning. Mum tries to make me feel bad by calling me names and telling my mates but most of em already know as i demand the light on even when staying at their house lol otherwise i stay awake till its light outside and coming through the windows.

May sound silly but i have the idea someone has come into the house when we was all out and is hiding waiting for me, going to take me and no one will hear...what happens next i dont really think of i just picture my self being taken out the house and i some reason think the light being on will stop this. Also scared about ghosts being in the room as i like the light on as the littlest of sounds when in the dark make all my hairs go up and im to scared to even to go near the light switch incase what ever is there grabs me :blush:

I know its all silly and thought when i had an aggressive american bulldog sleeping at the end of my bed ill be brave enough but even then i could for some reason lol.

Guest ferret feller

phobias.... i dont like walking too my mates house after 10pm through our estate.... the amount of dicks there they will stab you in the face for a phone....

i dont like spiders that much either.......

i dont fear them but if i see them i will avoid them....

Im scared of the dark :icon_redface: my mum gets anoyed moaning the hall light being on keeps her awake, dont just want a little bit of light ethier i need the full light coming into the room or i wont sleep id sit there or end up turning on the hall light and having a major aurgument at silly hours in the morning. Mum tries to make me feel bad by calling me names and telling my mates but most of em already know as i demand the light on even when staying at their house lol otherwise i stay awake till its light outside and coming through the windows.

May sound silly but i have the idea someone has come into the house when we was all out and is hiding waiting for me, going to take me and no one will hear...what happens next i dont really think of i just picture my self being taken out the house and i some reason think the light being on will stop this. Also scared about ghosts being in the room as i like the light on as the littlest of sounds when in the dark make all my hairs go up and im to scared to even to go near the light switch incase what ever is there grabs me :blush:

I know its all silly and thought when i had an aggressive american bulldog sleeping at the end of my bed ill be brave enough but even then i could for some reason lol.

Its not silly and nothing to be ashamed of, I actually went through a phase of keeping the light on too, because of a dream I had that scared the pants off me (can't remember the ins and outs of it), I kept the light on at the bedside for years after.

I hope you are getting over this now!

I dont like total darkness either . its as if its touching you , its horrible i have to have a little bit of light all the time

my biggest fear is horses , i rode as a child regular with no problem & was thrown several times, i think it stems from a ferreting trip & being surrounded by them on a hedgerow, there behaviour to me was threttening so i panniced & went very strange

Fire was my biggest fear as a child due to my brother chucking his bricks in the open coal fire & then watching them melt on the fire grate :laugh:

Sleeping,well not actually sleeping,but my dreams/nite terrors/nitemares whatever you wanna call them :crazy:

The woman who lives next door to me has night terrors , she wakes up screaming & the first time i heard it i couldnt sleep that night it was blood curdling :laugh:

Sleeping,well not actually sleeping,but my dreams/nite terrors/nitemares whatever you wanna call them :crazy:

The woman who lives next door to me has night terrors , she wakes up screaming & the first time i heard it i couldnt sleep that night it was blood curdling :laugh:

Yeah,i do all that apparently,and more :icon_redface:

Yeah,i do all that apparently,and more :icon_redface:

It was bothering me as i thought her bloke was knocking her about so i asked her, she thrashes about as well :yes: sayes she has had them all her life , but thankfully its not every night as it wakes me up when it happens & i am a sound sleeper