advice on spayed jills

mjt

Hello all I'm looking into getting some ferrets in the summer to work next year im trying to get some information before i make my mind up on what to get. If i get Jill's and had them spayed would this affect the way they work? i do have room to build another court on the other side of the garden if a vasectomized hob is a better option.

Martin

Edited by mjt

OK thanks for that. as i understand he has to be separated once hes done the business as he will become aggressive is this true. Sorry for all the questions just i want to let myself no what I'm letting myself in for

Hello all I'm looking into getting some ferrets in the summer to work next year im trying to get some information before i make my mind up on what to get. If i get Jill's and had them spayed would this affect the way they work? i do have room to build another court on the other side of the garden if a vasectomized hob is a better option.

Martin

I have a spayed jill she works really well!but because she works well i regret having her done.

hi all ,

vasectomised hob is the best way to go.

try keeping them all together but once he starts to pull the jills around then its time to separate him, which i would expect to see this time of year .

this is what i do and have done for years with no problems, once the jills start to come into season, put the in season jill into the hobs cage , keeping a eye on them from time to time , once he,s done his bit and lost interest return the jill to her cage check her neck and if need be rub some antiseptic cream on . good luck.

hi all ,

vasectomised hob is the best way to go.

try keeping them all together but once he starts to pull the jills around then its time to separate him, which i would expect to see this time of year .

this is what i do and have done for years with no problems, once the jills start to come into season, put the in season jill into the hobs cage , keeping a eye on them from time to time , once he,s done his bit and lost interest return the jill to her cage check her neck and if need be rub some antiseptic cream on . good luck.

i am in the same position as MJT at the moment and was wondering on the price of having a hob vasectemised, the jill injections and what type of antiseptic you were talking about?

thanks

OK thanks for that. as i understand he has to be separated once hes done the business as he will become aggressive is this true. Sorry for all the questions just i want to let myself no what I'm letting myself in for

I found keeping lots of entire jills that leaving the hob in with them all year not only kept them healthy , it also lessened the '' phantom'' pregnancys they had & certainly stopped the major quarrells with in the court

I found keeping lots of entire jills that leaving the hob in with them all year not only kept them healthy , it also lessened the '' phantom'' pregnancys they had & certainly stopped the major quarrells with in the court

Kay do you mean a snipped hod or a non snipped hob, i am looking at prob getting 3 Jill's and a hob then have the op done on him would it be OK to leave them together?

i suppose would just have to moniter there behaviour. I'm start to build a big court so they will have plenty of room to move round

Kay do you mean a snipped hod or a non snipped hob, i am looking at prob getting 3 Jill's and a hob then have the op done on him would it be OK to leave them together?

i suppose would just have to moniter there behaviour. I'm start to build a big court so they will have plenty of room to move round

a vasectomised hob, you may be as well to get a proven one from somewhere, as getting any hob now will mean at least a 6 week ban on him going anywhere near the jills untill he is totally infertile after his operation, meaning you will have 3 jills needing bringing out of season by another method,

Personally i would go for a hob first get him vasectomised then add 3 jills once the dodgy periods passed , if you can get hold of adult jills that is, it all depends when your ready to get the ferrets anyway

if you opt for a rescue they will most likely already be neutered

a vasectomised hob, you may be as well to get a proven one from somewhere, as getting any hob now will mean at least a 6 week ban on him going anywhere near the jills untill he is totally infertile after his operation, meaning you will have 3 jills needing bringing out of season by another method,

Personally i would go for a hob first get him vasectomised then add 3 jills once the dodgy periods passed , if you can get hold of adult jills that is, it all depends when your ready to get the ferrets anyway

if you opt for a rescue they will most likely already be neutered

thanks for that i will have one court and a large hutch. In case any situations arise where they need to be separated not looking to get them till April/may just trying to get as much information as possible thanks for your help

Martin

Edited by mjt

I have three jills and a snipped hob all living together and have not had any problems yet. I was a bit cautious at first but they all seem to get along fine, they are in a big run though so not under each others feet.

hi all,

i paid approx £30 to get the hob vasectomised which seems expensive but pays for it,s self over the years , the antiseptic cream is the the same has you find at home, the r s p c a at the moment are giving out vouchers for small pets (ferrets) also get your hob vasectomised get round your mates with ferrets come to some agreement and take they jills out of season.

If your getting three Jill's your hob will be able to live with them all year round and there's enough females for him not to mark them up .The only thing is you need to be organized and get your hob done early well before you need him to bring the jill out of season