keeping my ferrets in the garden

morning guys, i got my ferrets this week and i am keeping them in a large hutch in the garden, i went out this morning to check the water etc and there was a cat at the hutch, i got rid of the cat but i know he'll come back,(its not my cat) do i need to worry about the cat trying to get to the ferrets?

cheers tony

i wouldnt worry too much about the cat.if its anything like the ones our lass has got they are all mouth and trousers.the cats were sitting on te window cill in our house while i was busy cleaning the ferrets out.i had the ferrets outside in the garden running around.the cats were watching with intent,so i decided to take the ferrets in the house to see if the cats were brave enough to go near them.and sure enough they werent,they scarpered and hid in there cat box :D .ive also got a fecking big sandy hob that is probably the size of a cat so i dont think there would be much competition

my vet told me that they only have to get close to the ferrets and sneeze on them for the ferrets to catch it,and with 10 ferrets living together it soon spread to every one,lucky i got one to the vets quick enough to be diagnosed so all could be treated ,ferrets do catch the human flu ,but they didnt seem to act the same way ,thats why i went to the vets .

About 18 months ago a cat came into my garden. My lurcher was in the garden and the cat didnt know what had hit it, needless to say the cat never left the garden. Now i dont like cats but i would never purposely set a dog on a cat and I contacted the owner telling her what had happened. too cut a long story short, I had a visit from the local bobby and he told me that the only thing I had done wrong was too be honest and what i should have done was buried it in the garden. I havent had anymore cats in the garden since though and the roses are doing nicely :D:D

I was brought up with the saying 'The only good cat is a dead cat'

(old man kept birds in aviarys in the garden.)

Not seen anything to contradict this comment yet. :thumbdown:

They can hold there own no matter what people say, and if a cats mind was properly on the job, a ferret would probs end up on the wrong side of a hiding.

(luckily most are scared of pain.)

Have never had a problem with cats & ferret have kept both here for years , all my cats did was get out of the ferrets way when they were in the kitchen having a run around, my last cat left home when i had the first greyhound & now lives 3 doors away as the woman kept feeding him anyway