Deerhounds and deerhound crosses

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice pics guys, i do like this breed but do you think they would benifit from being x to a grey?

DG

yes, but not to much.? as been said the down side to them. A colliexgrey x deerhoundx grey

make a great lurcher, a 1/4 deerhound is plenty. This x was very popular in the 70s :victory:

this is my pup. dam is deerhound/greyhoundx bull. sire is a bedlingtonx greyhound

i think looking at the pix and reading the details of most dogs in this thread, the actual percentage of deerhound in them is doing nothing more than adding a bit of grey wiry coat!!! :whistling: and probably not really contributing in any way to their working characteristics. Mine are/have been all either pure bred or are 1/16 greyhound.....and therefore i think my points in my earlier post are valid , pertaining to the OP.

Here's my bitch, four come April. Dam BeardiexGrey Sire Working Deerhound. 27ATS. Didn't mature until nearly three years. Not the best on bolting rabbits and does't take charley purely because she has never been put on them.

Clever dog, was easy to train and totally stock proof.Spends time in the lambing pens each year. Definately knows the difference between a sheep and a Roe.

191008005Small-1.jpg

Edited to add: She has feet like old army boots, never been lame. Like all Deerhound types loves her comforts.

Edited by Jim Grant
Here's my bitch, four come April. Dam BeardiexGrey Sire Working Deerhound. 27ATS. Didn't mature until nearly three years. Not the best on bolting rabbits and does't take charley purely because she has never been put on them.

Clever dog, was easy to train and totally stock proof.Spends time in the lambing pens each year. Definately knows the difference between a sheep and a Roe.

191008005Small-1.jpg

Edited to add: She has feet like old army boots, never been lame. Like all Deerhound types loves her comforts.

classic looking deerhound type Jim, she's a peach

i had deerhound greyhounds for a good few years and they all have done the job.this breed wins my vote all the time

i have both pure deerhounds and deerhound x greyhounds. They are not good with pain :tongue2: ....worse than any other lurcher or sight hound ive known...the chase instinct is high but can be quite hard to enter to actually take stuff. Have coursed a lot of foxes over the years!!! :thumbdown: Good on rabbits but due to sheer size are not good at turning. Health wise its vital to ensure that they come from heart tested and liver shunt tested parentage.

what is the heart problem that deerhounds have? I knowof someone who's dog has an enlarged heart or some thing.

i got a 10m 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound 28tts very calm pup looking keen and and doing all i want at that age, no need to rush these boys let them be pups for as long as it takes, if he turns out half the dog his dam was that will do me just fine....