Thanks to Deker and Mr logic

Due to the generosity of Deker and Mr logic ,i spent a great day and night up with the pair of them on their land last Monday .Met Deker at his house and after a coffee we went to a patch of his a few miles away .Typical ground for the area ,wooded with patches of bog ,scrubland -perfect .We were to stalk deer with a possible fox thrown in .Deker is very knowledgeable about the area and its wildlife and he was able to say where we'd find the deer .Spot on every time . A shot never presented itself but i really was content to see them in this surroundings and the deer i did see were in tip -top nick too .I saw a cracking dog fox at distance and was content to watch him through the bins about his business before he clocked us and was away .We moved on to another spot and saw more deer although those we saw were in a sanctuary so to speak and didnt they know it .Three does broadside at nearly 50 yards and in full veiw ,lucky beggars indeed .I glimpsed a fox here too but he was spooked by walkers and was off .

Mr logic joined us for a spot of lamping at the same place and off around we went again .A fox showed in the lamp briefly but mr logic was on him and bowled a vixen at a respectable range of 240+yds .Further on we spotted a fox in amongst some cattle and i squeaked which saw him belt in to about 60 yds .My turn to have a shot and i rested on a fence post but im ashamed to say i missed it cleanly :icon_redface: I hate fence posts and should of set the bipod up :icon_redface: .Onto another place now and more foxes but not one would stand for any amount of time .Plenty of deer here too but it was dark and ;) well you know the rest .

Enjoyable time with two knowlegeable gents on their home turf .Cant beat it .Cheers lads .

Guest JohnGalway

Well done lads for getting together, always great to have a day out like that :yes: 240 is a good shot too :good:

Had a lad out shooting the last night, I was lamping, he was shooting, it was windy enough. We spotted a pair of foxes on a hill. We made our approach, which was difficult, he decided to shoot off a cut telegraph pole now used as a fence strainer. I was wanting to get across the fence, out of the tall grass for prone shot but it was the shooters decision with what he was comfortable with. That decided, we agreed to go for the farther one out first, around 150 yards. Shot, miss. Foxes zooming across the side of the hill. Vixen cry on and they both come back to where they were initially. One even comes in close around 120. Shot, miss.

I was never a fan of posts! Lad felt bad about it, it was the rest in fairness but sometimes it's best to learn by doing.

I was really surprised how they stuck around, two shots, amber light on the entire time, rabbit call, but especially the vixen cry kept them there, from the time we spotted them first to when they left Dodge for good must've been a good 10+ minutes, pity. Off a good rest we'd have had time and oppertunity to knock any amount of foxes behaving in the same manner there.

Some nights, things just don't work.

Strange old world because I am quite a fan of fence posts...not shaky old rotten things....usually gives a bit of height and stability and therefore usually gives me an edge, love the bipods too but not a big fan of the "sitting" position!! Just the way it is....

A pleasure to have Foxdropper along..exchange of views and experiences invaluable, you never stop learning in this game!!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Guest JohnGalway

It's horses for courses with rests is what I mean. I'd never have considered the post as an option as I don't like to shoot a rifle standing or kneeling, but prone or if I had the long bipod or sticks I'd have a go sitting alright.