White Dogs

Guest dannycos

Guest Nightwalker

I dont know if you do any 'free lancing' during the day or if you are prone to running things denied to us by Mr Blair but if you do, running a white dog will significantly increase your risk of being noticed and having your collar felt.

imo i dont think it matters on the colour of your dog if your out lamping most of the time you get chased is because theyve seen a lamp not because theyve seen a white dog chasing rabbits :) and if theyve got nite site your fecked anyhow :yes: :whistle:

Perhaps you should reply to what I actually posted - I was talking about freelancing IN THE DAY not at night! White dogs show up literally miles away in the daytime whereas brindles dont, you can hide in a hedge with a brindle, you cant do that with a white dog. Black dogs also show up too much for my taste. If you do a lot of daytime sneaking about looking for game large and small- popping in and out of the woods and up and down the hedges as opposed to marching straight across the arable looking for hares, having a dog that doesnt show up will attract far less attention to you. Also if you are lamping and the lamp has brought the opposition out - with a brindle its lamp off and fade into the darkness - that doesnt work as well with a 27" white dog!

I dont know if you do any 'free lancing' during the day or if you are prone to running things denied to us by Mr Blair but if you do, running a white dog will significantly increase your risk of being noticed and having your collar felt.

imo i dont think it matters on the colour of your dog if your out lamping most of the time you get chased is because theyve seen a lamp not because theyve seen a white dog chasing rabbits :) and if theyve got nite site your fecked anyhow :yes: :whistle:

Perhaps you should reply to what I actually posted - I was talking about freelancing IN THE DAY not at night! White dogs show up literally miles away in the daytime whereas brindles dont, you can hide in a hedge with a brindle, you cant do that with a white dog. Black dogs also show up too much for my taste. If you do a lot of daytime sneaking about looking for game large and small- popping in and out of the woods and up and down the hedges as opposed to marching straight across the arable looking for hares, having a dog that doesnt show up will attract far less attention to you. Also if you are lamping and the lamp has brought the opposition out - with a brindle its lamp off and fade into the darkness - that doesnt work as well with a 27" white dog!

DEAD RIGHT!!! :good:

i,personley think if u av a good white dog then nothing else matters regarding colour,

ive seen a bull x whippet (lemon and white )working in the day hell ov a good dog on a fox,

the only disadvantage he had was [bANNED TEXT] the hounds pushed cover or woods,and the like

the guy was spotted a mile away by the hunted fox ,the foxs were seen many times changing

direction from that dog so basically the the dog gave away his postion but on a dig he was bang on

just try it out for yourself all the best. :good:

Guest young lampers

:good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good:

feck me,..this is all abit of bollox to me personally....not sure if afew people are imaginary hunters dreaming of the romantic version of the stealthy poacher who goes where ever when ever with out the trace of a footprint..but white dogs certainly aint ne advantage...even in the day........now if i was hiding in a bush with a dog..white or not then you obviously put your dog on the inside ov you or your all ready through the hedge and away.....so how can the white dog be a disadvantage.....what is more visable a white lurcher hiding in the bush or a brindle dog running a fallow across a field?......loads more i could say on the matter but feck it im tired lol :D

Guest Nightwalker

feck me,..this is all abit of bollox to me personally....not sure if afew people are imaginary hunters dreaming of the romantic version of the stealthy poacher who goes where ever when ever with out the trace of a footprint..but white dogs certainly aint ne advantage...even in the day........now if i was hiding in a bush with a dog..white or not then you obviously put your dog on the inside ov you or your all ready through the hedge and away.....so how can the white dog be a disadvantage.....what is more visable a white lurcher hiding in the bush or a brindle dog running a fallow across a field?......loads more i could say on the matter but feck it im tired lol :D

Perhaps if you got out and did a bit rather than theorising from your armchair you might find the answers to your questions. Having sneaked around with lurchers for the last 30 years, doing my best to leave no traces at all and having hidden in my share of hedges and woods etc I have a certain amount of experience to draw on. Not everyone hunts mob handed, marching across the middle of the fields or from a subaru. A question for you, why would anyone want to announce their presence on land, draw attention to their activities and leave evidence of what they have been up to if this could be avoided? These days I mostly hunt within a few miles of where I live - why would I (or anyone else for that matter) want to store up trouble for myself by attracting unneccessary attention? You may not have been there and seen it, but believe me, NOTHING stands out more in the day than a white dog - especially on stubble and set-aside which I run a lot . From a way off, most people wont notice a fallow or a roe running across a field and that brownish blur behind him could be another deer but a white dog always draws the eye (as to a lesser extent does a black dog) and I know of cases where having a white dog has defintely landed people in trouble.

My brindle dog is VERY hard to spot when he has just coursed a hare in the desert...my white/wheaten colour bitch is MUCH easier to see...

I like seeing a white/light coloured dog run on green fields, great when on a hare or other quarry...i cant wait to run that bitch of mine in Kansas...big green paddocks, fen like land...im hoping her light coat will be better to see on film, so we can get some good footage..

Kye..