a handy squirrel cage for body grips

well i have been running a couple of 110 body grips in some wire tunnels i have made and im pleased with the tunnels they provide a perfect catch arond the back of the neck and lower abdomen resulting in a humane quick death :thumbup: as with most trapping setts simplicity works best ,the wire tunnel is 18 inches long 6x6wide and has a two inch latt wired thee quaters of the way inside the tunnel i have made a door in the top of the tunnel through which i set the trap onto the latt holding the trap securely in place this squirrel paid the price for being greedy he went for the bait at the rear of the tunnel and was caught

DSCF0250-1.jpg

as you can see a perfect strike :D

DSCF0254-1.jpg

the trap reset ready for the next customer sitting over the latt holding the trap nicely so it wont move all thats needed are some sticks in front of the entrance to pevent incedental catches of non targets

DSCF0256-1.jpg

a side elevation

DSCF0257-1.jpg

well i have been running a couple of 110 body grips in some wire tunnels i have made and im pleased with the tunnels they provide a perfect catch arond the back of the neck and lower abdomen resulting in a humane quick death :thumbup: as with most trapping setts simplicity works best ,the wire tunnel is 18 inches long 6x6wide and has a two inch latt wired thee quaters of the way inside the tunnel i have made a door in the top of the tunnel through which i set the trap onto the latt holding the trap securely in place this squirrel paid the price for being greedy he went for the bait at the rear of the tunnel and was caught

DSCF0250-1.jpg

as you can see a perfect strike :D

DSCF0254-1.jpg

the trap reset ready for the next customer sitting over the latt holding the trap nicely so it wont move all thats needed are some sticks in front of the entrance to pevent incedental catches of non targets

DSCF0256-1.jpg

a side elevation

DSCF0257-1.jpg

you have started something now lad, gary will be wanting you to catch him a lot at that size for his dinner.

them look just the ticket does the trap just res either side of the lat?

and where can i get some of that 3x1" mesh from ive run out of 1"square and the only stuff i can get now is thin and flimsy and the only stuff i can borrow :angel: is 2x2

and completely unrelated would 2x2" mesh work for a rabbit trap or could they squeeze through?

Dont you have reds in your area anymore woodga, I would love to use them up here, look a great set-up for the body grips, but there are about equal ammounts of reds and greys up the valley, so I couldnt use them, not yet anyway.

Do you make them your self? I might try and knock up a one for the big bodygrip for mink. Up to now I have used wooden tunnels with slots cut out to slide the trap in. But those mesh ones do look the business. holds the trap nice and snug! good stuff!

the reds are all gone from his area now the pox has killed them all off the last red i saw in this location was four years ago in a local reserve now its only greys the best bit is the wardens think the greys are cute :o ,

bloody idiots

that trap when seated wont go anywhere very secure and simple ;) and yes i make all my own cages :D

the reds are all gone from his area now the pox has killed them all off the last red i saw in this location was four years ago in a local reserve now its only greys the best bit is the wardens think the greys are cute :o ,

bloody idiots

that trap when seated wont go anywhere very secure and simple ;) and yes i make all my own cages :D

I was glad today, I seen three reds at a place near Corbridge, more than ive seen all month including up the Valley, but they are fed and quite tame, I do the vermin there, was trapping moles today, they are a pleasure to see. They are surrounded by tree rats, but isolated on a hill top in their own wood. I will try and keep them safe for as long as I can, but once the pox gets there, well it will be good bye forever i suppose! :(

very nice thats why ratcherman wants them because they are so tasty and of course they are free he even brings sack fulls of young rooks from scotland to feed on the lads an animal :sick:

We don't see many over here, but when I do I'll try some. I was once going to try rooks, but when I'd plucked them I couldn't face it. :sick: In other parts of the world, they eat crows, owls, hawks, snakes and insects, "tastes like chicken". We must be spoilt here. I'll just stick to haggis, at least it's all good stuff, hearts lungs liver herbs and oatmeal, boiled in a sheeps stomach. :clapper::clapper::clapper:

AS USUAL COLIN ,

WELL THOUGHT OUT TUNNEL MATE ..............

NOTICED YOU HAVE HAD TO PUT SMALLER MESH AROUND THE BAIT AREA TO STOP THE CLEVER LITTLE BUGGERS REACHING IN THROUGH THE LARGER STRONGER WELD MESH ..........

NO DOUBT THE IDEAL WELD MESH WOULD BE A HEAVEY GAUGED 3/4 " MESH WITH A SMALLER INTERNAL SIZE NEARING 1/2 " ............ BUT THEN AGAIN ......... THAT MESH LOOKS JUST LIKE THE STUFF WE HAVE AROUND HERE AS TREE PROTECTION FOR SAPLINGS ......... AND ITS FREE :D

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING