lurcher wont go in

a young lad that comes out with us got a 15 month old beddie whippit collie x . problem is shes running and turning rabbits - but not going in on them just chases em and right at the death lets em away the problems day and night shes been out a dozen or more times on the lamp . i`ve seen her tonight for the first time ran 6 0utta 6 but done the same with all of em ..any advice ??

Edited by the_stig

a young lad that comes out with us got a 15 month old beddie whippit collie x . problem is shes running and turning rabbits - but not going in on them just chases em and right at the death lets em away the problems day and night shes been out a dozen or more times on the lamp . i`ve seen her tonight for the first time ran 6 0utta 6 but done the same with all of em ..any advice ??

Penny hasn't dropped yet, try getting it to retrieve a dead rabbit, then let it run with an experienced dog, only until it picks one up, then run solo.

try lampin fields with tight hedges or sheep netting ,were the rabbits will be turnin back into the field give the dog a few chances to grab the rabbit, try with another dog as a last resort dont want to f**k up the dogs retriving.

This is quite common with collie lurchers, they try and herd the rabbit instead of picking it up!

keep retrieving with a dead bunny, and if you can beg/ steal/borrow a lure machine tie the rabbit to that and gee the dog up to catch it, if not use a piece of string on a dead bunny and run round letting the dog chase and catch, you might want to do this out of sight as you tend to look insane!!!

i had this problem with the first lurcher i got tryed every thing with it for giveing it ferreted rabbits easy rabbits day & night running it with other dogs but after a year of catching more than the dog my self i had to just face the fact that he just wasnt a worker. had him pts becouse he was a good looking dog & if i give him away some silly person whould of breed from him. now i only get lurchers from pup becouse buying peoples rejects is an expenceif hobbie. hope your mates works out becouse my mate got one just the same but she came good in the end so give her a chance & see what happens but some they just dont have what it takes.

get your self a rabbit and teese the dog with the rabbit and then let it kill it and eat it so it associates them with food so it will want them when your out lamping

ROFLMAO :rofl::rofl::rofl: like Curry do you??????????? I had a whippet That wouldnt pick up not even baby bunnies she would run at the side of them and she never did pick up but she was a smashing house dog and the kids love her.

I bought another dog for the fields and gave her the kids.

Edited by pidge
i had this problem with the first lurcher i got tryed every thing with it for giveing it ferreted rabbits easy rabbits day & night running it with other dogs but after a year of catching more than the dog my self i had to just face the fact that he just wasnt a worker. had him pts becouse he was a good looking dog & if i give him away some silly person whould of breed from him. now i only get lurchers from pup becouse buying peoples rejects is an expenceif hobbie. hope your mates works out becouse my mate got one just the same but she came good in the end so give her a chance & see what happens but some they just dont have what it takes.

Bit extreme...Why not castrate and re-home to a non working home?????

How many times has it been out and how many rabbits has it run without picking them up how many times has it been out ferreting and seen ferrets hitting the nets ?????????? would have to know the answer to all these questions before cutting it nuts off or rehoming it.

How many times has it been out and how many rabbits has it run without picking them up how many times has it been out ferreting and seen ferrets hitting the nets ?????????? would have to know the answer to all these questions before cutting it nuts off or rehoming it.

well the dog was my first lurcher i got him about 10 year ago being my first lurcher i had & i gave £100 becouse it was soposed to be a tool. so had pleanty of insentive then i whould now to make the dog a grade a worker i tryed everything with him & whent out just about every night & day that i posobley could. after about 600 outing with a dog that was meant to be a top noch worker & not one single rabbit i whould say he had his opatuneity. being a young lad at the time i didnt have the money to folk out for another dog & have the one that i had castrated & rehomed so he got the bullet & after paying a £100 for a dog then paying to feed it on the best of food for a year i whouldnt of payed a penny on castrashion that is alot of money for a 16 year old lad 10 year ago. & before you all come back with it might of been inexperance on my part i had pleanty of frends that had lurchers at the time & had them for sometime before that & they couldnt do nothing with the dog ether so my best option was to just admit deffeat. i had been riped of becouse of my inexpereance & cut my losses & start again & learn by my mistakes.

spoke to the lad this morning the dogs run about 50 - 70 rabbits and not picked up its not been out with ferrets or other dogs he got it at 9 mths old from working stuff . hes had it out with his terriers ratting and its killed rats .. the guy whr he got it from says he`ll have it back for a month and see if he can get it going the lads only 14 and wants to try and sort it himself - like he says all part of learning he comes out with us with the terriers but i aint had a lurcher for 30 yr so i`m a bit stuck as to what good advice to give him if all else fails its`ll be a good ratting dog for him - i`ve told him keep it off ratting for a bit and whr out weds with another lad ferriting .. thanks everyone for the advice .. 600 outings 50- 70 rabbits dont sound a lot now like someone said penny will drop .. Edited by the_stig