broken cambelt

Hi everyone cambelt went on my astra estate 1.7td it only done 60000 miles will the engine be knackered cheers

Probably is the simple answer

Did you try to start it or bump it after it went? Was there a bump/bang under the bonnet when it went? If so your valves will probably be knackered too

OTC

Hi everyone cambelt went on my astra estate 1.7td it only done 60000 miles will the engine be knackered cheers

Probably is the simple answer

Did you try to start it or bump it after it went? Was there a bump/bang under the bonnet when it went? If so your valves will probably be knackered too

OTC

no bump or bang did try to start it though

seen a few of these go and you normally get away with it , just the hydrolic followers go , but this all depends how and when it went , ie less speed and less revs means less damage

chances are unless your very lucky its fecked sometimes you can get away with little damage 6ok dont sound a lot o miles for cambelt whats the reccomended change ? mines on 72k better get it done -- earth n hounds got a cheap 17td for sale ..

mate just had his vectra done after the chain snapped, did all the valves £1000 and i think that was cheap. Stick with regular changes on belts and chains just before the recomended mileage comes round and all should be well, but not even thats guaranteed...oh and by the way......also replace the tensioner as well

Edited by craftycarper