Fox....22LR.....FAC

There is no legal minimum calibre for fox, only guidelines. Therefore, surely the FEO has to show good reason why fox is not allowed.

No. Because the conditions generally list the Good Reason for the firearm, and not an exhaustive list of quarry species. There is no law to saw you can't shoot them. The confusing wording cannot IMHO confirm OR deny the shooting of foxes. If I don't know anything about this discussion and shoot a fox when my ticket says Vermin, if I get hauled over the coals for it, the first words out of my mouth would be 'but, officer, foxes ARE vermin, and my ticket says vermin'.

If the police wish to make a category for it, they should specifically EXCLUDE foxes on a vermin ticket.

But I doubt this confusion will ever be cleared up.

Ok, so how about the situation where your ticket is issued in one county, stating foxes on .22, and your are doing some shooting a couple of counties away such as Yorks????

Or even vice versa? Do you abide by your licencing authority or that of the area you are actually shooting in?

Luckily this is an easy one! The law allows foxes to be shot with any calibre, so if your FAC says fox you can definitely shoot them wherever you like, because the offence you might otherwise commit is contravention of your FAC conditions. Clearly, if it says on there you specifically can, you're not contravening it.

But my God, this is confusing stuff!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed SS, it is a shambles. There is no doubt for me, ground game and vermin, and dispatch of captive fox on FAC.

By definition, the captive fox element excludes charlie out in the fields.

The dictionary states that vermin as " Animal or insect regarded as a pest" which, of course charlie is.

I'd be mightily confused as to the fox element if it were not for the conditions.

It is a total farce to be honest, I agree, and when you add in the added complication of shooting foxy with the shotgun, where does that lead :wallbash: There's no logic, but then again this is FAC conditions, what has Logic got to do with it :whistling::whistling:

It's a trap, they're out to get us

Nothing if it's done right, ie, killing them, not shooting them. But I've seen so many peppered with bird/rabbit shot just to diasappear into the woods. In general I just have this feeling that as a SC is a heck of a lot easier to obtain than a FAC, some inexperienced shotgun users can be a little shall we say less disciplined than your rifle shooter?

Edited by cyclonebri1
When I applied for my FAC my FAC officer would not entertain a 22LR or 22WMRF for fox control or 17HMR for that matter. He made me apply for a centre fire which I did and went for a 243. I'm with Lothian and Borders police

Lucky you!

Fastrac10

My son just joined the company and recently aquired his Fac for a .22 which clearly stated he could shoot deer with it. I sent it back noting the mistake, The police did'nt seem perturbed at all. I'm with Tayside police and they are usually spot on.

• 3 weeks later...
open ticket .22lr vermin ground game leicestershire police will not entertain fox on .22lr .22 centrefire recomend or larger calibreall my centre fires .222 .243 .308 fox and deer open

I dont know who you have spoken to mate, but I had a long conversation with Paul Mummery our FAO from Leicester today 6/02/09 on the exact same subject.

Paul assures me that FOX IS VERMIN, it has no off season, as ground game does and there are people that shoot them with .22 in London gardens and charge £300 a night and quoted a channel 4 program on city fox control . I certainly won't have a problem shootng them with my .17 or .22lr if they are close enough to kill cleanly.

Hope that has cleared up all the doubt, and if it says vermin on your licence you can shoot them, at least you can in leicestershire.

open ticket .22lr vermin ground game leicestershire police will not entertain fox on .22lr .22 centrefire recomend or larger calibreall my centre fires .222 .243 .308 fox and deer open

I dont know who you have spoken to mate, but I had a long conversation with Paul Mummery our FAO from Leicester today 6/02/09 on the exact same subject.

Paul assures me that FOX IS VERMIN, it has no off season, as ground game does and there are people that shoot them with .22 in London gardens and charge £300 a night and quoted a channel 4 program on city fox control . I certainly won't have a problem shootng them with my .17 or .22lr if they are close enough to kill cleanly.

Hope that has cleared up all the doubt, and if it says vermin on your licence you can shoot them, at least you can in leicestershire.

what i said was they would no longer put the word fox on .22lr vermin yes ground game yes youare right fox is classed as vermin ie anything that is endangerous to game or crops i am not saying i wouldnt use it on fox under certain conditions but i ould rather use the centerfire

Guest Mass_G3nocide

Mine has fox and also has vermin on the .22lr but my .243 has deer and fox but my firearms officer told me it would be best off taking fox with the .22lr he is based at chelmsford which is the hq round here for firearms.

Mine has fox and also has vermin on the .22lr but my .243 has deer and fox but my firearms officer told me it would be best off taking fox with the .22lr he is based at chelmsford which is the hq round here for firearms.

Then inconsistancy rules?, as we all know anyway.

This may or may not go some way to explain why fox is not vermin and that is that the fox has long been regarded as a 'beast of the chase'and preserved in some areas for just that ,sport .The predations of charlie were long overlooked providing some sport was had from his chasing with hounds .Its a category of its own because some areas ,in past times, revered the fox more than others .

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not bothered either way, if I need close quarters Fox shooting, I'll use the Shotgun, and I take the centrefire for Fox. I don't go lamping Rabbits, they aren't here to shoot! So I'm not likely to encounter one when I have the HMR at night.

I'm covered :)If you have no rabbits and do,nt shoot foxes with the HMR what exactly do you shoot at night with it?.Rgds Gerald