Just opinions

Most greys that go as pets [ are NGRC trained dogs] that have been raced at one time or other.?

As i said i helped a bloke who 45 greys, and YES they make great pets. But if they start fighting

it dont matter who to blame, they do alot of feckin DAMAGE :wallbash: . One day when i was helping

him out, i was walking two [ dog+bitch] 58lb bitch, 69lb dog. A feckin cat run across the yard, they

seen it and went APE SHIT, now i am 6ft 13st 7lb a fair size, and it took me hell of a job to stop

these mad feckers from killing each other, and i am fairly strong guy. Regards muzzle for your dog

its up to you,? i know what i would do. :victory:

Agreed that a lot of retired greys have come from the NGRC,but once they've been adopted they are not under any NGRC rules.It is then up to the new owner wether they muzzle them/it or not.

As someone who has owned and trained greyhounds for over 20 years I would fully agree with you that when they "start" they can take some stopping. I had one that was extremely firey,if when he was out a walk and saw a cat,rabbit or small dog and obviously couldn't get to it he would attack the dog next to him.He had to be muzzled everytime he was walked with other dogs,also the other dogs had to be muzzled incase they retaliated.

Spot on :victory:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to know other peoples opinions on something i have been mulling over since this incident with a smaller dog yesterday, basically the greyhound dog caught hold of a small dog that got to close to him, he wasnt harmed just naturally shook up

No i posted elsewhere about this episode & was asked why he wasnt muzzled , i didnt need to think about an answer , my opinion is .

muzzling is ok if you have good recall , i wont muzzle this dog because he isnt coming back when called as yet, my gripe is , if he were to get off the lead while out & he was muzzled i dont think i could get him back due to not having the recall perfected , so i am off the opinion that if he isnt caught within hours & he does wander over a period of time , if he couldnt free himself of the muzzle he wouldnt be able to eat or defend himself.

I dont disagree wih muzzling but these are just my thoughts , what are yours

Oh my god, bring on the lynch mob.

You are an outragious thoughtless dog owner kay and you must be stopped at all costs.

I favour public humiliation with tar and feathers. :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::bye:

i would like to know other peoples opinions on something i have been mulling over since this incident with a smaller dog yesterday, basically the greyhound dog caught hold of a small dog that got to close to him, he wasnt harmed just naturally shook up

No i posted elsewhere about this episode & was asked why he wasnt muzzled , i didnt need to think about an answer , my opinion is .

muzzling is ok if you have good recall , i wont muzzle this dog because he isnt coming back when called as yet, my gripe is , if he were to get off the lead while out & he was muzzled i dont think i could get him back due to not having the recall perfected , so i am off the opinion that if he isnt caught within hours & he does wander over a period of time , if he couldnt free himself of the muzzle he wouldnt be able to eat or defend himself.

Greyhounds should be muzzled in a public place by law.That was the case long before the dangerous dog list.A mate of mine in the 70,s was fined when his greyhound on a lead killed a terrier which went for him despite my pal giving many and urgent warnings to the lady with the terrier to get it back to her.It went to court and he was fined for not having a muzzle on the dog and not for the dog killing the terrier which comes natural to a working or retired greyhound.Which is why you are required to muzzle the dog.The fine then was £5.oo hope this helps.
Mine have to be muzzled, but why don't you leave him on a long line until you get a better recall, as although the other dog wasn't hurt, can you imagine if that was your dog who that happened to, I am in a area where people already discriminate against breeds like them and my dogs are affected by it, so I would muzzle as if he does hurt another dog it won't help him or any dogs like him, just my opionion not trying to be mean.

I still feel that yesterday we did everything right , it was the other dog that wasnt on a lead & it wandered up to the dog, basically the owners fault for not having it on a lead

you got it in one there

Kay, I would take this view...........if the dog is likely to latch onto other dogs, then better its muzzled or it will end up being put down if it does some real damage.

If it runs away, the worst that can happen is that it go,s hungry for a couple of days untill it is found.

If it gets attacked by another dog, chances are it will run away if it cant bite back.

Better to muzzle than not in this instance would be my opinion.

Oh my god, bring on the lynch mob.

You are an outragious thoughtless dog owner kay and you must be stopped at all costs.

I favour public humiliation with tar and feathers. :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::bye:

Well what do you expect for a Cannock lass :laugh:

Greyhounds should be muzzled in a public place by law.That was the case long before the dangerous dog list.A mate of mine in the 70,s was fined when his greyhound on a lead killed a terrier which went for him despite my pal giving many and urgent warnings to the lady with the terrier to get it back to her.It went to court and he was fined for not having a muzzle on the dog and not for the dog killing the terrier which comes natural to a working or retired greyhound.Which is why you are required to muzzle the dog.The fine then was £5.oo hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case threbb,don't think there's any law that says a greyhound must be muzzled when it's in a public place. :hmm:

About a year ago my friends son [who was 18] was walking 2 unmuzzled greyhounds when a cat walked out from below a hedge right into the dogs.Needless to say the cat was in a bad way and died at the vets.When the owners arrived at my mates door kicking up a stink he apologised and offered to pay the vets bill.They said they didn't know what they were going to do,they mentioned going to the police.

My mate then told them he was happy to pay the vets bill but if they went to the police they'd be getting no money.They chose the police route and my mate got a visit from the local pc.The officer tried to get heavy,threatening my mate with going to court.My mate said to him "listen here pal,the dogs were both on a lead and under control.The cat on the other hand was not under control and walked right into the dogs.Take it to court if you want but i'm sure the judge will roast your arse."

By now the officer realised his bluff had carried no weight so backed down and asked my mate if he would consider muzzling them in future.So i'm sure if it was law that officer would have been only to happy to charge my mate.

I know over here (NI) greyhounds have to be muzzled in public and one person is not allowed to walk more than 2 at once ... this come under the control of CONTROL OF GREYHOUNDS ACT (NI).... kay id check up on the muzzle thing as over here you get a £200 fine for breaking these ........thats if the law still stands

I found the act you were on about chid & it looks like anything with whippit or greyhound in it is supposed to be muzzled

(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, the following expressions have the meanings hereby assigned to them:—

"contravention " includes, in relation to any provision, a failure to comply with that provision;

"enactment " includes any provision contained in or having effect under any Act of the Parliament of Northern Ireland or of the Parliament of the United Kingdom or of the Irish Parliament;

"greyhound " includes any greyhound or whippet and any breed, strain, or cross thereof;

"muzzled ", in relation to any greyhound, means wearing any device so constructed and affixed as to prevent that greyhound from biting or otherwise injuring any human being or other animal;

"under control " in relation to any greyhound means led by a chain, cord or other efficient leash held by a person exercising proper control over such greyhound.

Guest night time my time

wouldnt muzzel my greyhound or lurchers,they cant defend theselves if attacked,your dog was on a lead,ergo tough shit other ol mate,lucky for him it was you he met and not me, ;)

only time i would muzzle a dog is if it bite people but saying that i wouldnt have that sort of dog ( only if there was dog thieves about then i would ). other than that i wouldnt as its the other persons fault if they dont restrain ther dogs when other dogs are about. its natural for a greyhound to strike at any animal thats small and running. the way i would look at this is that if the greyhound wanted to kill the small dog it would have as its got the power to do it quick as well , and it didnt so it cant have wanted to kill it just warn it !

as for recall if your say down the woods walking your dog and they is no 1 about or nothing for it to chase i would let the dog off the lead as much as possible , let it have a mooch and a run about will do it a world of good , when it comes to calling it back just walk away from it neva chase and when it starts coming towards you get down ( squat ) so your on the same level ( they come in easyer ) neva chase it if it wont and always praise the dog even when it comes to you when you havnt called it . ive got a lurcher bitch thats came to me last wednesday thats a lad couldnt cope with as its very timid with people and you just couldnt get near , kept running off all the time and also was a twat fighting with other dogs in the kennels, i now got her walking off the lead coming when called ( most times ) and sleeping in the same kennel as my own dogs with no fighting and ive havnt had her a week yet , just spent a lot of what time i have to try sort her, she still needs a lot of work yet tho ! but im already on the right road for her .

hard work but worth it .

hope you can with yours :D

if the dog isnt good with outher dogs, a muzzel is the best thing for you. if it does biute with out one thay can have your dog killed. if you muzzled it atleast you can say you tryed.... but if you dont you can say its a first... :hmm: over here alot of peopel with rotties for guard dogs dont have the sighn up saying "Bewear" cus then thay know it can and will hurt some one...... its a trickey one.

Sounds like your sorting this lurcher out Jackard well done :thumbs: this dog here is basically a lovely dog he just needs more time & slowly i see the improvements in him daily , he loves his walks & a full belly :laugh:

I'm pretty sure that's not the case threbb,don't think there's any law that says a greyhound must be muzzled when it's in a public place. :hmm:

About a year ago my friends son [who was 18] was walking 2 unmuzzled greyhounds when a cat walked out from below a hedge right into the dogs.Needless to say the cat was in a bad way and died at the vets.When the owners arrived at my mates door kicking up a stink he apologised and offered to pay the vets bill.They said they didn't know what they were going to do,they mentioned going to the police.

My mate then told them he was happy to pay the vets bill but if they went to the police they'd be getting no money.They chose the police route and my mate got a visit from the local pc.The officer tried to get heavy,threatening my mate with going to court.My mate said to him "listen here pal,the dogs were both on a lead and under control.The cat on the other hand was not under control and walked right into the dogs.Take it to court if you want but i'm sure the judge will roast your arse."

By now the officer realised his bluff had carried no weight so backed down and asked my mate if he would consider muzzling them in future.So i'm sure if it was law that officer would have been only to happy to charge my mate.

If it had gone to court he would have been found guilty.

If it had gone to court he would have been found guilty.

I can assure you that if that policeman thought there was the slightest chance of getting a conviction he would of charged my mate.As it happened he knew there wasn't a case to answer.

Out of interest what do you think he would have been found guilty of?