Just opinions

i would like to know other peoples opinions on something i have been mulling over since this incident with a smaller dog yesterday, basically the greyhound dog caught hold of a small dog that got to close to him, he wasnt harmed just naturally shook up

No i posted elsewhere about this episode & was asked why he wasnt muzzled , i didnt need to think about an answer , my opinion is .

muzzling is ok if you have good recall , i wont muzzle this dog because he isnt coming back when called as yet, my gripe is , if he were to get off the lead while out & he was muzzled i dont think i could get him back due to not having the recall perfected , so i am off the opinion that if he isnt caught within hours & he does wander over a period of time , if he couldnt free himself of the muzzle he wouldnt be able to eat or defend himself.

I dont disagree wih muzzling but these are just my thoughts , what are yours

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree if his recall is good muzzle would be ok

but if not i would keep him on a lead

I wouldnt loose him off the lead untill i am happy he will come back, i was just really wondering after yesterday fiasco , he was on the lead then but its only incase he does manage to slip his collar or anything

Mine have to be muzzled, but why don't you leave him on a long line until you get a better recall, as although the other dog wasn't hurt, can you imagine if that was your dog who that happened to, I am in a area where people already discriminate against breeds like them and my dogs are affected by it, so I would muzzle as if he does hurt another dog it won't help him or any dogs like him, just my opionion not trying to be mean.

I wouldnt loose him off the lead untill i am happy he will come back, i was just really wondering after yesterday fiasco , he was on the lead then but its only incase he does manage to slip his collar or anything

If you are worried about him slipping his collar, even though people think that they look silly why don't you get a harness until you feel that you can trust him more?

If you are worried about him slipping his collar, even though people think that they look silly why don't you get a harness until you feel that you can trust him more?

i seen a labrador retrive a old ladies yorkshire terrier once, was funny at the time,these things happen its just dog life i wunt even give it a second thought

Mine have to be muzzled, but why don't you leave him on a long line until you get a better recall, as although the other dog wasn't hurt, can you imagine if that was your dog who that happened to, I am in a area where people already discriminate against breeds like them and my dogs are affected by it, so I would muzzle as if he does hurt another dog it won't help him or any dogs like him, just my opionion not trying to be mean.

I still feel that yesterday we did everything right , it was the other dog that wasnt on a lead & it wandered up to the dog, basically the owners fault for not having it on a lead

Wouldnt loose any sleep over it the dog got away very lucky if you ask me... no need for a muzzle there not on the dangerous dogs list... well not that i know of .. I did tend to leave muzzels on one or two greyhounds when i left them off together to run about buts a matter of geting to know your dogs to know which one would be liable to fight but this is just in and empty feild and my own dogs loose together ...

But as for a public place a greyhound should have a muzzel on once all the other big dogs do if not then it should be able to defend itself if somthing happends ..

But there is no reason why a greyhound should have a muzzel on it when on a lead as i said on your other post kay... if they want to let there dogs come up and get close enough they must not mind loosing them or paying the vets bills...

I could be wrong, but greys have to where a muzzle in a public place.? If they are loose and they went for another dog, more so a small dog . You would have alot of shit, from owners and if it got back

to the greyhound kennels, because they are trying to promote them as good pets, and its the last

thing they want :o . If i was you keep him on the lead+muzzel, its what they are used to. I helped

a bloke with greys [45], and if a 65lb greyhound kicked off, it can do a lot of feckin damage :(

its not worth it ;);)

I could be wrong, but greys have to where a muzzle in a public place.? If they are loose and they went for another dog, more so a small dog . You would have alot of shit, from owners and if it got back

to the greyhound kennels, because they are trying to promote them as good pets, and its the last

thing they want :o . If i was you keep him on the lead+muzzel, its what they are used to. I helped

a bloke with greys [45], and if a 65lb greyhound kicked off, it can do a lot of feckin damage :(

its not worth it ;);)

Thats worth checking out about them having to be muzzled , i will do some investigating tomorrow, thanks for the replys everyone :thumbs:

its not worth it ;);)

Thats worth checking out about them having to be muzzled , i will do some investigating tomorrow, thanks for the replys everyone :thumbs:

if your dog is anyway agressive dont put it in the situation were it can hert another dog,if you cant control him keep it muzzled,iv got a number of nasty/agressive dogs (in the wrong hands) with me all of my dogs are as good as gold because im the pack leader.dogs dont always respect weak men or women...my mrs is by far the best person i have ever seen with horse's.the only time i let her walk two of my lurchers all hell broke loose,she ended up with a missing finger and both my dogs needed operations.kay if you arnt in full control of your dog get some help or get rid of it.... :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

hi kay i had a greyhound bitch more than 10yr ago. i was walking it with my other dog and a old woman had a terrier of the lead it growled at my grey bitch and she grabbed it round the middle shook it .the old woman tried to blame me and was going to phone the police.i was aveing none of it told her what was what and left the scene

its not worth it ;);)

if your dog is anyway agressive dont put it in the situation were it can hert another dog,if you cant control him keep it muzzled,iv got a number of nasty/agressive dogs (in the wrong hands) with me all of my dogs are as good as gold because im the pack leader.dogs dont always respect weak men or women...my mrs is by far the best person i have ever seen with horse's.the only time i let her walk two of my lurchers all hell broke loose,she ended up with a missing finger and both my dogs needed operations.kay if you arnt in full control of your dog get some help or get rid of it.... :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

the dogs were on leads & stationary , we stopped to allow the other person & his dog to pass however the other dog wasnt on a lead & sadly neither my self or my husband were responsible for the other dog coming over to our dogs

its not worth it ;);)

Yes bird they can cause some serious damage to each other i always kept mine muzzeled when kenneld together for this reason .. But not while on the lead.. never had a bit of bother ...

Kay if its effected you to a point where you think its time to put get a muzzel for the dog then just get a standard muzzel from a greyhound supply store as the pet shop ones ar shite ... just the plastic one is all you need for walking the dog .. does not need to have the pading on the top as the dog wont be kenneld with it on so it cant damage him...As a ex racer he will be used to having a muzzel on nearly all the time so theres no worries about him not wanting to wear it...