a "pre-ban" question

Speaking pre-ban, has anybody ever taken double figures of deer in one session?

Or perhaps more intrestingly, how many different species have you caught in one session?

Hi mate Very nearly got double figures one night about ten years ago, ended up with nine. It was a wild December night and I was just about to flick on my lamp when I saw a red light, I thought bloody gamie, so I squatted down and pulled the dogs into the cover, but something didn't look right, so keeping low I sneaked forward leaving the dogs on stay. This old guy with a white beard appeared going YO,HO,HO, that was it, the dogs were off in a flash, the old guy's shouting no not Rudolf, oh! not Prancer. Nine I ended up with. Come on then who's got kids or Grandkids, there was Dancer, Prancer, Dasher, vixen,Comet, Cupid, Donner Blitzen, and of course Rudolf... YOU ASKED FOR THAT!!! :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

:toast:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live in wiltshire, and there was a lad that was local to me, and he done 173 roe, in his last season with a 3/4 Grey 1/4 Border Collie...he could have done many, many more though, they where everywhere!...

Kye..

Can you still shoot them in Britain?
yes but it is so unsporting.they dont stand a chance ,eating one second dead or wounded the next ,at least with a dog they get a run for their money .fecking goverment and the law .got a good mind to ignore them . Edited by MY LAW
down my neck of the woods, you used to be able to catch 5 a day/night 3-4 times a week! As it is illegal now, they are everywhere! Mainly roe though, dogs have to be muzzled on walks coz of the b*****ds!

Yeah they do poor dogs, I had my dogs in a field with a fallow the other day, even with his muzzle on Diesel chased and caught up, my other dog just looked at me like what is he doing, and then when they were half way across the field it clicked, and she is the older one, its allowed though as the dogs are muzzled ;)

Can you still shoot them in Britain?
yes but it is so unsporting.they dont stand a chance ,eating one second dead or wounded the next ,at least with a dog they get a run for their money .fecking goverment and the law .got a good mind to ignore them .

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

good point ,well put :thumbs:

had five and 12 hares with two piars of well schooled jukels and missed a few to ,had 17 in one week and more hares, driveing stubbles etc all legal like,september way had four in one 60 acre feild they split dpgs got pair then we got the other two at bottom of feilds panicked etc ,most ive had walked up was three but was tiol etc carrying them dropping them probaly could get 5 again no prob but then you need people who want plenty , never take what you cant use

what would you do with that many if you caught them?

i have seen 1 dog take 11 in one night all good fallow but they was in a very big enclosure ,2 dogs take 4 reds including a very big stag ,they also was in a very big enclosure,the most wild fallow i know with one dog was 7 ,the most wild fallow stags with 2 dogs in one night was 3 and 2 does ,i used to see 1 dog take 5 or 6 fallow in one night very regular ,and 2 dogs take the same amount very often .most i ever seen caught in one season is 304 all fallow ,mind you it was all a long time ago ;)

Edited by MY LAW
he's pretty sharp, and will give good chase but won't put in that final hitjust lollops along behind them not really caring either way....

sounds as if he's still too young. but pre ban,i would have expected a dog to be doing them easily earlier than 18 month.

i agree i have seen dogs 12months old take fallow by them selves ,not many dogs of this age but those that have clicked on ,and was taught their trade very early in life,all pre ban of course. Edited by MY LAW

localy deeer are prety wise to dogs at this time of year so youll get chases but never big numbers but as good as hare chase , when i was down in suffolk could have had as many fallo as i could sell , saw forties on rape feilds and carrot feilds stubble feilds , tons of them caught several but some were gimmes, they stood out and by the time my two big tor of dartmoor halfcrosses got there it was all over not much sport at times , but good eating and butcher liked them , localy all the roe stick not to far from a wood so you need a dog who can get on them quick and turn them off the wood and then the fun starts