to all lurchermen

My wife has a dobe who is currently 7 months. Massive prey drive, good nose and tries her hardest to match my whippets. They have been known to catch the odd rabbits but I'm sure it'll be squatters and myxi's. She comes from great working stock (guard/obedience/tracking) but although she's nimble enough, for a dobermann, compared to a running dog she turns and accelerates like a battleship.

Her gait and movement is very powerful but to use an analogy, the power and torque is all low down the range wheras my whippets have the power/acceleration/speed throughout.

She is a real honey and is highly intelligent but I would say in any running dog pairing there would be to many vital trade offs just to try and get that prey drive, muscle mass and nose.

Dave

• 8 months later...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in the 80s a mate i know had an acidental litter..his greyhound retired track dog ..nailed his doby bitch..she was a slim racy doby and the pups were unwanted really... but a few went to a couple of locals..and he kept a bitch out of interest..

the bitch looked like a very lean machine and was making a good decent dog..before it got parvo and died..rememebr the 80s ?

another lad had a big dog from the litter and that was a killing machine...fast and hard.and massive... stamina to match any saluki.. a very big dog.

dont know if its a breed i would go for in this day and age... but ive seen worse.

atb

vin

think some people ideas of a hunting lurcher are gettin pretty daft and fairy tale-like now............

a frd mof mine had a litter of des yoks about 4yrs ago and not 1 of them alive today they were the worst dogs i ever seen to ruu or pull any ting :gunsmilie::thumbdown::notworthy:

Not a fan of the breed myself but I will be devils advocate here. My brother had an undocked doberman in the early 90's in Ireland to guard his stables. Very hard dog with a strong prey drive, would smash into any cover after a rabbit or fox so individuals can have the right mentality. Dog was put down after it started killing sheep on the neighbours farm.

But as has been said there are proven crosses out there that do the job and you must remember "never trust a dog with orange eyebrows" ;)

All the best Dirtwinger

just remember dont believe all you see on here people were p.m ing me saying a jrtxgrey would be great so when i did it they all replied the same why do that etc etc

i did it cos the so called dog men said they would have a one and so on

What dog men said they would have one____

My dad bred a litter in the 80s using my uncles doberman at stud, dont know the lines. It was the best dog hes owned but he was in his twenties and put a hell of a lot of time into it. Was one of those dogs that was in the right place at the right time. Wasnt a hare dog but knocked a few over a few but didnt see fox. My grandad actually sold the raciest pup that hed kept back but the bitch he was left with turned out well-stamina packed. I havent got a scanner to get a pic up until mon but Ill try and get a photo of a photo. But I agree why reinvent the wheel.