Any advise?

I got a lurcher a couple of month ago and i have just started taking it lamping and when i slip it on a rabbit that has squatted down it waits until it runs before trying to grab it and hes missing them. Hope you lads can give me some advice

not all lurchers will take squartter's, alot like your dog looks for movment in the beam. When you get your next squatter, walk your dog up to it, get your dog to the back of the rabbit, when the rabbit gets up slip your dog. It should learn take them , give it time. How old is your dog, it takes a couple of seasons to know the crack. ;)

I got a lurcher a couple of month ago and i have just started taking it lamping and when i slip it on a rabbit that has squatted down it waits until it runs before trying to grab it and hes missing them. Hope you lads can give me some advice

Go to search and type in training a lamping pup, look for the thread of the same title, and read it and try it, should help. good luck.

most dogs take a while to cotton on to squatters mate but normaly the more rabbits they run on the lamp they soon start to understand that the beam offers the chance of a chase and before long your dog should start to trust the beam instead of waiting to see the rabbit for themselves.

most dogs take a while to cotton on to squatters mate but normaly the more rabbits they run on the lamp they soon start to understand that the beam offers the chance of a chase and before long your dog should start to trust the beam instead of waiting to see the rabbit for themselves.

Use the training advice mentioned earlier and your lurcher will be doing all this on its first couple of nights

not all lurchers will take squartter's, alot like your dog looks for movment in the beam. When you get your next squatter, walk your dog up to it, get your dog to the back of the rabbit, when the rabbit gets up slip your dog. It should learn take them , give it time. How old is your dog, it takes a couple of seasons to know the crack. ;)

I concur with bird on this point. If you can help the dog on ther angle of aproach it can sometimes omit the need to turn in the 1st stride or 2. . . . . if you know what I mean . . . . well I know what I mean ant way :)

Edited by doris
IS YOUR DOG COLLIE BRED......???????

yes its a 19month old saluki grey x saluki grey collie grey

THE REASON I ASKED WAS I HAD A COLLIE GREYHOUND THAT COULD SEE THE SQUATTING RABBITS OR WHATEVER,SHE WOULD STALK TO WITHIN A FEW FEET .....SOMETIMES INCHES AND JUST STARE AT THEM TILL THEY MOVED JUST THE SLIGHTEST OF MOVES EVEN JUST A TWITCH OF AN EAR,THEN SHE WOULD CATCH THEM.BRILLIANT FOR TAKING PHOTOS,,HARD WORK ON THE BATTERY TWO SQUATERS AND THE BATTERY COULD BE FLAT..HAD TO WALK UP BEHIND DOG TAP ITS BACK AND SAY GO ON,AFTER A WHILE DOG COULD STAND ONE SIDE OF SQUATTER I COULD GO THE OTHER,CAUGHT A LOT OF RABBITS THIS WAY.........SORRY TO BORE YOU BUT MAYBE YOUR DOG HAS SEEN THE SQUATERS...

a keeper friend of mine has a dog that does the stalking up on the squatters thing great to see he walks up out side the beam then creeps in on them real clever dog never looks that fast but gets a high percentage of what he runs ,beddiwhuppet of here i,m sure was out one night and also commented on this dog