Which are you....

Guest anonymous

I have had to rehome a working cocker about 5 years ago, as I just could not handle her, she wanted to work all day every day, and I did not have the time to do it. So she went to a farm, to work!

I guess I have grown up a bit now, and never take on something that I cannot keep until the rest of his/her days.

I have 3 lurchers, and will never rehome them.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a dog is not up to scratch then its PTS time I am afraid..........It not fair on the dog because you will quickly fall out of love with it, Its not fair on the owner because its soul destroying and it puts an end to the chance of more shite being bred.

That said, I have rehomed a dog before...........but I made sure it was the right home and the dog went free of charge.

I wouldnt do it again.

Wilf, this is not a critique', but how many dogs have you went through, until you have got the dog that is "up to scratch" ? Is a dog that may not be the "ideal"; not good enough to be given a permenant home ?? I am a person who has spent a lifetime looking for the "DOG", but am sensible enough to realise it ain't gonna happen !!!

Cheers.

I have had to rehome a working cocker about 5 years ago, as I just could not handle her, she wanted to work all day every day, and I did not have the time to do it. So she went to a farm, to work!

I guess I have grown up a bit now, and never take on something that I cannot keep until the rest of his/her days.

I have 3 lurchers, and will never rehome them.

thats not the some you tryed not because it was not good for the job
If a dog is not up to scratch then its PTS time I am afraid..........It not fair on the dog because you will quickly fall out of love with it, Its not fair on the owner because its soul destroying and it puts an end to the chance of more shite being bred.

That said, I have rehomed a dog before...........but I made sure it was the right home and the dog went free of charge.

I wouldnt do it again.

:thumbs: saved me posting it :thumbs:

Why couldn't you spay or neuter and then sell on to a pet home, people say that Lurchers' are not happy as pets but many are fine with good runs every day, if you can't keep the dog as its not a good worker?

I dont "do" family dogs, so my dogs bond with me totally.........I am there master, there food provider, they have all there life experiences with me.........how would you feel if the person that was your whole world sent you away to live in a strange place ;)

I wouldnt do it again.

that said it all really, ;)

i have a lurcher which is 14 years old now i run her when she was 18 months old and she done her back leg and never run again . i cant stand dickheads that shoot dogs because not good enough . :censored::censored::censored:

And I have a lurcher here that broke her leg a few seasons back and it cost me £2800 to put right.......the dog can still do what she loves to do.............so who is the cruel one, you for not spending the right money and getting the dog right or me for spending the right money and the dog can still work?

I dont give her a lot now, because she was a 110% out and out tryer and she will stay here and rest for the rest of her days :)

I wouldnt do it again.

that said it all really, ;)

well said .a bad one eats as much as a good one

Why couldn't you spay or neuter and then sell on to a pet home, people say that Lurchers' are not happy as pets but many are fine with good runs every day, if you can't keep the dog as its not a good worker?

I dont "do" family dogs, so my dogs bond with me totally.........I am there master, there food provider, they have all there life experiences with me.........how would you feel if the person that was your whole world sent you away to live in a strange place ;)

I would find it better then the end, many dogs get rehomed and they survive fine, I've been moved about between homes myself recently, not seen any of my family for months, and that was after years of being moved from one parent to the other with my brother and sisters, even thought that my mum was dead at one poiny and I have survived and I am fine, you seem to be under the impression that dogs can't adapt to changes, yet they can. Just think of rescue greyhounds, many if not most are just used to kennels and maybe a few kennel hands, but they adapt into pet homes with just a few teething problems and then just hog the couch.

I wouldnt do it again.

Wilf, this is not a critique', but how many dogs have you went through, until you have got the dog that is "up to scratch" ? Is a dog that may not be the "ideal"; not good enough to be given a permenant home ?? I am a person who has spent a lifetime looking for the "DOG", but am sensible enough to realise it ain't gonna happen !!!

Cheers.

Its a sensable post........to be honest, I have not gone through many (1 or 2).........but I belive that there are certain things you want your dog to do, there is one main criteria........it may do lots of other stuff well, or to a standard but it may not be able to fulfill the main criteria.......so what ever else it can do becomes meaningless.

Some dogs you just know its gonna be a wrongun from the start.........I had one that I knew was wrong from the start, but I had spoken for it so I kept my word.........I tryed, I really did but I hope that I have enough sense to know when I am flogging a totally dead horse........these are the type not to breed from, and belive me, some fecker will given the chance.

My philosphy has changed, I used to think like many who have replyed to this thread.......untill I REALLY thought about it, I have had a rescue dog.........seen the these poor bloody creatures and I wouldnt inflict that on any animal or give someone else the chance to do it.

I also want to hunt, so I must have a dog that is capable of hunting to a fair standard.......you wouldnt own a gun that didnt fire.

Hope that is some sort of awnser.

By the way, just to be clear........I am not slagging anyone who dont share my opinion, the title of the thread was "Which are you"........so I replyed.

Edited by WILF

A very intrestring subject. To me I couldn't get rid of a dog as the kids treat them as pets (as do I). I take them walks through the hills for fun as well as working them.

They are pets that I work. Not dogs kept puerley for work.

I can understand that if you relay on your working dogs to do a job ie - pest control etc then you could justify getting rid if they are not working well enough. As would a shepard if is collies aren't up to scratch.

However, I think some people on here forget that for most lamping, ferreting, coursing etc is a HOBBY. Not a job. We do it for enjoyment. Yes its nice to get big bags but what ever happend to sporting dogs? Surely its not all about numbers now?

I try not to judge people, but you always do. If I had a litter of pups I would gladly give them away to permenant homes that sell them to some people who claim to be "GUENUINE DOGMEN" on here.

You could argue that the odd dog may not be up to what you need, but guys who are onto lurcher number 6 cause the rest "were not up to it" need to have a look at themselves. I am not overly experianced. I am only 28 and have had (scince leaving home at 22) 1 lurcher (killed out working), 1 terrier ( had tumor and PTS) and 2 whippets (have at present) but I like to think that I have common sence and can read into the fact that most(not all) of these guys that constantly fail with dogs cant catually train them or dont understand a pup at 8 months shouldnt be run on hare!

I wouldnt do it again.

Cheers.

Its a sensable post........to be honest, I have not gone through many (1 or 2).........but I belive that there are certain things you want your dog to do, there is one main criteria........it may do lots of other stuff well, or to a standard but it may not be able to fulfill the main criteria.......so what ever else it can do becomes meaningless.

Some dogs you just know its gonna be a wrongun from the start.........I had one that I knew was wrong from the start, but I had spoken for it so I kept my word.........I tryed, I really did but I hope that I have enough sense to know when I am flogging a totally dead horse........these are the type not to breed from, and belive me, some fecker will given the chance.

My philosphy has changed, I used to think like many who have replyed to this thread.......untill I REALLY thought about it, I have had a rescue dog.........seen the these poor bloody creatures and I wouldnt inflict that on any animal or give someone else the chance to do it.

I also want to hunt, so I must have a dog that is capable of hunting to a fair standard.......you wouldnt own a gun that didnt fire.

Well........ you wouldn't buy a gun that didn't fire !! So why buy a pup that wasn't bred to "fire" ??? Genuine people buying genuine pups, and working them, won't go far wrong !!

Cheers.

I wouldnt do it again.

Cheers.

Well........ you wouldn't buy a gun that didn't fire !! So why buy a pup that wasn't bred to "fire" ??? Genuine people buying genuine pups, and working them, won't go far wrong !!

Cheers.

best bed dog in the world can still jack