Advice for ferreting a HUGE warren

if your going to use ferrets, try and get together as many people as you can (you may find a few on here) if it is very very big you may need 10 + ferrets. also use as many purse nets as possible, longnets cutting the burry up as much as often, and as many dogs as you can. good luck mate, sounds like a job I wouldnt fancy doing

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sounds like fun there mate im sure you could get a few of us to come along and help if its as big and as holely as u say then longnets a must and may b about 8-10 ferrets, good luck with it mate

because if a warren is as extensive as described, then the cover is going to be all around making it practically impossible to longnet successfully but plenty lurchers on the burry and locators on al the ferrets should be fine, but you will have to be prepared to dig a fair amount

It's not just the size of the warren, you also have to think about the depth of it!

If it was not too deep, them it could be done, but you would need killing machines in there, and be prepared to dig.

Oh and a good dog, longnets and some USEFULL help! ;)

Some of the depths are crazy....I put a small jill down at ne stage and tracked her with the finder, 8,9,10,11,12,14, No signal....!!

Thats one thing i'd like to know, do the rabbits just bolt across the warren and drop back in, or run for cover else where?

Like young Will said, the purse nets can be usefull, for thinning out the surface runners if they are dropping back in.

I see some of them I miss in the nets going as far as I can see, and others going back three or four holes away, the biggest problem is no dogs, digging or shooting is allowed!! The land owner isnt out to get rid of the rabbits at all, and I had a job even getting permission! But I doubt he has walked as far through the ground as I have, there are actually large areas that have just caved in when I walked on them its so dug!!

Im in Northern Ireland, I can just imagine 6 of you checking in with easyjet, ferrets boxes on the weight belt, dressd in cammo with lurchers :clapper:

mate,id be tempted to walk from kilkenny to do a spot like that.wev actualy got nothing down here this year :cry: ..bu ye,tackel that with evry method you can with as many ppl and nets as you can.thats definatly not a 1 or 2 man job if its as big as you say..good luck with it anyway,im not half jelous :D

Thanks for that, if it's so deep then the snares and the traps would be a good option! (Allthough no fun!)

It's only a matter of time before the place gets complicated with ferreting. Use this place as a year in, year out top up for everything that surrounds it.

We have a few places in the hills of the dales like this, rock holes, and ghyll side's.

Only gassing will wipe these out. (but not in the rock holes!)

Part and parcell, we cannot get everything. (But that comment sickens me!)

Keep at it, thats why they are there! ;)

Edited after reading no shooting!

Edited by Brimmer
Thats one thing i'd like to know, do the rabbits just bolt across the warren and drop back in, or run for cover else where?

Like young Will said, the purse nets can be usefull, for thinning out the surface runners if they are dropping back in.

I see some of them I miss in the nets going as far as I can see, and others going back three or four holes away, the biggest problem is no dogs, digging or shooting is allowed!! The land owner isnt out to get rid of the rabbits at all, and I had a job even getting permission! But I doubt he has walked as far through the ground as I have, there are actually large areas that have just caved in when I walked on them its so dug!!

then tell him to stick it as its impossible without dogs or guns. :nono:

Can you no snare or trap it to thin them out first ?. then surround it with long nets as best as you can and pop as many ferrets in as you can ,if you have any spare locator boxes tie them on to the longnets furthest away from you and you will at least hear if one of the ferrets is going to far away .

If the farmer will allow it you could invite a few guys and have a good weekend thinning out the rabbits but there would be a fair bit of digging etc

I take it you,ve spoke to the landowner about the situation on this 20/30 acre site.Telling him to "stick it" because of no dogs/shooting ain't a good look as the permissions been hard enough to get in the first place.Keep at it do managable sections,i'm sure you could get helping hands with enough ferts,purse nets & longnets to have a good go at this place throughout the season.

The landowner has said he does'nt want the rabbits wiped out but if you can keep them in check & he see's you doing so i'm sure he 'll be more than happy.

I take it you,ve spoke to the landowner about the situation on this 20/30 acre site.Telling him to "stick it" because of no dogs/shooting ain't a good look as the permissions been hard enough to get in the first place.Keep at it do managable sections,i'm sure you could get helping hands with enough ferts,purse nets & longnets to have a good go at this place throughout the season.

The landowner has said he does'nt want the rabbits wiped out but if you can keep them in check & he see's you doing so i'm sure he 'll be more than happy.

Its not that he doesnt want them wiped out, But he's not bothered that they are there one way or another, the permission was very hard to get so I cant do anything that will gve him any reason not to let me go there...A LOT of people would like to go there, But there not allowed because of having asked and got a yes, and then been caught digging, using dogs or something he doesnt allow

I really need to get some pics up of the ground, Its crazy, I spent a few days driving round looking for rabbit areas when I started back at ferreting...when I saw the field it almost brought a tear to my eye with excitement... :clapper: