Joe Calzaghe vs Roy Jones

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gnasher - joe never fought those two , early on , because them yanks did'nt fancy it themselves , plenty of other stiffs for them to fight for easy cash , the truth is nobody wanted to offer big fights for joe , because of his awkward southpaw style and the fact he was an extremely good fighter, who they did'nt want , my thoughts on the fight , i think joe WILL WIN , albeit on points , but who cares , he'll be a legend anyway.

The reason these fights didnt take place were because calzaghe being champion felt they should come to wales to fight him....he priced himself out of the fights and demanded that being champion big name yanks go over to unknown ( on world boxing terms ) wales to fight.....its just not going to happen.....only now he is at the end of his career and these big name yanks are just that big names and nowhere near as dangerous opponents as they once was is joe going over there to fight them......as for these people saying calzaghe is past his best as well...yes he probably is slightly,but he has never been in a hard fight ! with the level of fitness fighters like calzaghe/hopkins etc have its not years that take their toll its tough fights and joe hasnt had any so naturally isnt as washed up as other fighters his age.....calzaghes game is based on an unbelievable level of fitness and workrate...he rarely sits down on a punch and puts full force into them which is why people say he slaps,if he slapped the referee would take points off simple as that !

I would love to see him win i just think most times things even themself out in the fight game and joe has directed himself an easier ride than most get at that level....jones is no mug and certainly has the style,whether he has the fitness and desire anymore,who knows.

yes , gnasher to a certain degree you are right , but as a champion dont you think , joe , has the right to have the fights at home , those yanks , for years have had it all there own way ,by having the fights on there , doorsteps , so as to have judges , refs , on there side , now im not saying theres any cheating going on , but the american judges are a peculiar lot, as for the fight itself , i think joe will have far to much of a fitness level for jones , being a superb athlete ,joe's workrate is immense , however , jones was a champion at several weights , making him an outstanding boxer too, this could be , one of two things , 1/ joe's legacy or 2/ the biggest mistake , by taking this fight. lets just hope it's his destiny.

I think that it will be a massive suprise if joe beats jones on points, if anyone knows about Roy jones they would surely know that it will take something unberlievable to beat him on points :yes:

I would love to see Joe do it but, my prediction is that Jones will tie him in knots and joe will become frustrated and get ragged and it will be over ...... :cry:

Having said that Cmon Joe :yes:

[quote name='dennned' date='Nov 8 2008, 11:39 AM' post='750799'

yes , gnasher to a certain degree you are right , but as a champion dont you think , joe , has the right to have the fights at home , those yanks , for years have had it all there own way ,by having the fights on there , doorsteps , so as to have judges , refs , on there side , now im not saying theres any cheating going on , but the american judges are a peculiar lot, as for the fight itself , i think joe will have far to much of a fitness level for jones , being a superb athlete ,joe's workrate is immense , however , jones was a champion at several weights , making him an outstanding boxer too, this could be , one of two things , 1/ joe's legacy or 2/ the biggest mistake , by taking this fight. lets just hope it's his destiny.

In an ideal world yes mate....but financially it would just not make sense and when your at that top level money has to come into it...at that time america was the heart of world boxing it was ridiculous and in my opinion calzaghes get out to ask there top fighters to go to wales to fight,he knew they wouldnt.....if the gross income from the fight in america was 100 million for example...and the gross income from the same fight in wales was 3 million...it just doesnt make sense from anyones point of view.....joe has put more importance all through his career on having an unbeaten record than he has on fighting and beating the best.....that was his own decision....yet cleverly he is now making them big money fights late in his career when everyone he dodged is a bit more washed up than him...some would call it clever some would call it crafty...i just think its a shame for boxing and boxing people to never know who would have been the best when they was all in their prime its what the sport should be about....doesnt take away from the fact calzaghe is a phenomenal athlete and very good champion,whether he was the best we will never know now as this fight tomorrow wont prove that.

Roy jones either on points or a late stoppage. the old Sugar Ray Leonard technique of hit and get on your bike could well be the way so soften up Calzaghe in the earley rounds and mix it with him in the latter part of the fight...

You get the impresion that someone with quick hands on the move working in and out would have the measure of Calzaghe :hmm:...

Jasper

Guest lurcherboy2008
those two shouldve been matched years ago

if this was 5 year ago jo would have trouble beatin RJ but now i think hell be a bit to busy for him, still i think jo will go down :yes: but hel win