ferreting a large set

If not using a locater, feed your ferrets as usual the day before, and give them a little snack in the morning before you go out, that way, if they kill they wont lay up

Oh, and be prepared for some people on here to call you a monster for even daring to suggest that it's possible to ferret without a locater.......

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont really care about the monster bit. because like people say what did ferreters do before the locator was invented.

there are ways of getting the ferret back without a locator even if it does lay up...

but if you starve your ferrets the night before then feed them the morning on meat or dry so they will stuff themselves in order to make up for not getting food the night before, would this work.

and only work 1 ferret then if need be send the other in?

so work the jill and if she doesnt appear after a while then send in the hob. correct?

cheers

jazz

I like to dig less to find ferrets nowadays, and hate having to go back the next day to collect ferrets hold up in a bury, so locator's get my vote every time, in my experience, if you feed ferrets a small meal a couple of hours before you go out, they chase more and kill less underground. But thats just my point of veiw.

runforyourlife, that is what I do and all my ferrets IMO are crackers. they know what they are doing and dont hang about and are DEFFO working ferrets. That is just MY way and i wasnt telling him he must do it MY way! lmao. he asked and I answered. Also if you didnt know, a ferret kils in the burrow, eats and sleeps it off, lmao. so if you feed it too much it wont have a huge amount of energy. its not starving the fert as it is only one night without food and they get a belyfull on the way. also, do you still want those pegs? as I havent got the dosh yet

yer same iv been ferreting on and off for years and iv never used a locator and iv never had a lay up .. i find it best using one ferret at a time because i allways think the 2 ferrets could block a rabbit in a tunel at each end ... :blink:

Sorry, but i dont understand what you mean" block them in each end"?? The rabbits will be mostly congregated in the "stop end" anyway pal! And theres only one way out. So blocking in them in means nothing. You would realize this if you had used a locator, and followed your ferret underground, and worked out the earth.

A "good thin working" ferret will find the stop end, and then flush your rabbits out. If you enter a big dog ferret, you will often find that when he reappears, that he has rabbit fur hanging from his claws, blood around his mouth and so on. This is where he has reached the stop end. A rabbit has sat with its back end pushed against the entrance and refused to move or let him in to bolt them. And many times a big dog ferret is just to big to enter while the rabbits sits there....

Alot of so called working ferrets will bolt rabbits but only ones moving in the tunnels. A proper working ferret will find the stop end, bolt the rabbits, go back there for more, till it has removed them all!

On the same note, some ferrets only work shallow, and even tho the earth goes much deeper, will not proceed.... You will learn all this from a locator, and your missing out on a lot of knowledge and fun....

And yes, 25yrs ago, i didnt use a locator, and lost very few ferrets, but didnt understand the earths nowhere near like i did when i started using a locator......

thanks mate for the information i might just have to invest in a locator
Would anyone ever go back to not having a locater once they had used one? Wouldn't like to be without ever again myself. :rolleyes:

Id like to see what a few folk that replied on here would do if there batteries packed in and the ferret was on a kill

yer same iv been ferreting on and off for years and iv never used a locator and iv never had a lay up .. i find it best using one ferret at a time because i allways think the 2 ferrets could block a rabbit in a tunel at each end ... :blink:

Sorry, but i dont understand what you mean" block them in each end"?? The rabbits will be mostly congregated in the "stop end" anyway pal! And theres only one way out. So blocking in them in means nothing. You would realize this if you had used a locator, and followed your ferret underground, and worked out the earth.

A "good thin working" ferret will find the stop end, and then flush your rabbits out. If you enter a big dog ferret, you will often find that when he reappears, that he has rabbit fur hanging from his claws, blood around his mouth and so on. This is where he has reached the stop end. A rabbit has sat with its back end pushed against the entrance and refused to move or let him in to bolt them. And many times a big dog ferret is just to big to enter while the rabbits sits there....

Alot of so called working ferrets will bolt rabbits but only ones moving in the tunnels. A proper working ferret will find the stop end, bolt the rabbits, go back there for more, till it has removed them all!

On the same note, some ferrets only work shallow, and even tho the earth goes much deeper, will not proceed.... You will learn all this from a locator, and your missing out on a lot of knowledge and fun....

And yes, 25yrs ago, i didnt use a locator, and lost very few ferrets, but didnt understand the earths nowhere near like i did when i started using a locator......

sorry mate, i dont agree there, runforyoulife. If a rabbit is jammed up in a stop end IMO it has a very small chance of shifting it, have you ever tried pulling out a fully puffed up rabbit from a stop end!! lmao

Would anyone ever go back to not having a locater once they had used one? Wouldn't like to be without ever again myself. :rolleyes:

Id like to see what a few folk that replied on here would do if there batteries packed in and the ferret was on a kill

thats a good reason to invest a fiver for a batterie tester from e bay, tests either the 9volt or the watch ones, then you wont have batteries dying underground

post-5267-1226050857.jpg

sorry mate, i dont agree there, runforyoulife. If a rabbit is jammed up in a stop end IMO it has a very small chance of shifting it, have you ever tried pulling out a fully puffed up rabbit from a stop end!! lmao

yes mate, by using a locator and digging down to it

if your using ur jill and she lays up

put a liner on ur hob and it wont cost u more than a few quid for it

tie nots at every foot

then enter ur hob and count how many knots/;foot it has gone down

it wont get you bang on top of ur ferret but it will give you an idea

ps i have a mk1 linner for sale :tongue2:

WILFRED OR WHAT EVER YOU ARE CALLED. YOU HAVE JUST REPEATED WHAT I HAVE SAID!!! IT WILL STRUGGLE TO MOVE IT. NOT EVEN GOING TO SAY ANYTHING ELSE TO YOU, AS ITS BREATH WASTEING. YOU SAY" A FERRET DOESNT NEED FULL ENERGY", MY FERRETS ARE FECKED AT THE END OF THE DAY, AFTER BOLTING 30PLUS RABBITS.......AND AS FOR GOOD WORKING FERRETS SLEEPING IN THE WARREN, BOLLOCKS. A GOOD ONE MAY KILL, THEN MOVE ON, AS IT WILL KNOW THERE IS MORE RABBITS TO BOLT AND FOLLOW TO THE SURFACE.....COME ON SON, LEARN YOUR TRADE...

OH AND NO THKS TO THE NETS, I ALREADY SAID THAT ONCE IN MY PM, WAY TO DEAR, NEVER HEARD A PRICE LIKE IT.....

Edited by runforyourlife

nO WORRIES MATE, ITS OK, TO LIVE IN THE PAST, EXAMPLE, FLARES, BEETLES, VDUB CAMPERS, SOME THINGS ARE BETTER LEFT THERE.