A question about fox killing

Hmmmm..but surely they fit into the British countryside and will live by the same rules as Badger (whoch obviously arent allowed to be killed) and survival of the fittest in rural areas (urban foxes are completely different) would happen anyway. Sorry, i just have a problem with killing something for no good reason. To my mind, that fox today was killed purely and utterly because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

At risk of sounding like a bunny hugger..i hate killing purely for the sake of it..as i said before i have no problem with foxes on the estate where my husband shoots being taken out, i have seen the damage they do, but i hate this type of shooter who kills and then walks off..or worse..wounds..and then walks off. :angry:

fox living by the same rules as the badger? well as most people know the badger is currently vastly over populated and causing a number of problems for people from many walks of life (and if the fox wasnt controlled it would do the same) and is currently undergoing a cull in wales, i belive prevention is better than cure.

i do agree with you in terms of the way a fox is shot is important and dont believe any hunter should leave a wounded animal if at all possible BUT we see things from a different angle on the reasons for controlling fox, its not just a case of livestock or game bird preservation, its a matter of habitat preservation in order for ALL wildlife to have a place in the countryside and with regards to fox, it was a far more succesful job that was done pre ban imo.

On our farm the badgers are more of a pest than the fox!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm..but surely they fit into the British countryside and will live by the same rules as Badger (whoch obviously arent allowed to be killed) and survival of the fittest in rural areas (urban foxes are completely different) would happen anyway. Sorry, i just have a problem with killing something for no good reason. To my mind, that fox today was killed purely and utterly because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

At risk of sounding like a bunny hugger..i hate killing purely for the sake of it..as i said before i have no problem with foxes on the estate where my husband shoots being taken out, i have seen the damage they do, but i hate this type of shooter who kills and then walks off..or worse..wounds..and then walks off. :angry:

fox living by the same rules as the badger? well as most people know the badger is currently vastly over populated and causing a number of problems for people from many walks of life (and if the fox wasnt controlled it would do the same) and is currently undergoing a cull in wales, i belive prevention is better than cure.

i do agree with you in terms of the way a fox is shot is important and dont believe any hunter should leave a wounded animal if at all possible BUT we see things from a different angle on the reasons for controlling fox, its not just a case of livestock or game bird preservation, its a matter of habitat preservation in order for ALL wildlife to have a place in the countryside and with regards to fox, it was a far more succesful job that was done pre ban imo.

On our farm the badgers are more of a pest than the fox!

they are in most areas mate, they are protected and given a high status for ermmmm :hmm: for nothing, they are not endangered and have no reason to be protected imo, the goverment here seem to be slowly coming to terms with the fact that they need some sort of control.

unfortunatly reguardless of what the fox is pestering or not pestering, its legal to shoot them so on it will carry, i think antis will do there bit soon to try and put a stop to the shooting of foxs, its only a matter of time .

vermin need to be controlled,shame they are being shot though,not sporting if you ask me ;)

Why control vermin (foxes) in an area where they are killing rabbits and not affecting livestock/ground birds though?

Why control the rabbits ie kill them in your area/ Ad before you ssay you use them for foood its so m,uch easier to pop down to tesco so why not just dio that then everyone can stiop going hunting and the antis will have won yeyyy

The problem with natural selection is that the fox has no natural predator to control its numbers except man. Someone made a good point about when they breed. As the cubs grow they have to find their own territory to hunt which may well mean them moving to land where there is game then it becomes a problem. If they are not controled you get a boom of foxes and if there's not enough food to sustain a huge population then livestock somewhere will suffer. I always remember one fox in particular I called in it had something in it's mouth and I thought it might be a rabbit and would be a treat for the ferrets. After dispatching it I went to retreive the carcase it had dropped and found a 6 week old kitten and that was that for me. Foxes are opportunists and will take the easy option when it comes to food. It's a shame that some folk dont dispose of their catches properly and there is a minority who shoot anything that moves but imo if foxes are left to their own devices anywhere sooner or later there will be a problem.

vermin need to be controlled,shame they are being shot though,not sporting if you ask me ;)

Why control vermin (foxes) in an area where they are killing rabbits and not affecting livestock/ground birds though?

Why control the rabbits ie kill them in your area/ Ad before you ssay you use them for foood its so m,uch easier to pop down to tesco so why not just dio that then everyone can stiop going hunting and the antis will have won yeyyy

That's the kind of juvenile response i hoped wouldnt happen. Grow up. :feck:

Thanks for all the sensible input, its been an interesting read. Cheers. :signthankspin:

Edited by redmoor

A few places i go i dont get to touch the foxes and it doesn't really bother me unless they take rabbits out my snares them i will stop them ,but a few landowner's seem to think they help control the rabbits when im not there