more unwanted ferrets.

post-24513-1224589748.jpgHere I was, walking through our local CO-OP to get some bread and milk, when this old lady walks up to me and says, hey! do you collect ferrets? I said not really why? she told me the had bought their grandson a couple of ferrets for his birthday over a year ago, and now he's bored with them and wants a rabbit instead. Alarm bells started to ring, and I wanted to walk off. Now I'm not soft when it comes to animals, I hunt, so I obviously I do knock a few on the head. Anyway, I decided that even though I didn't want any more ferrets, I would go and have a look, for the animals sake. So off I went to the address I was given, ferret carrier on my shoulder. well, I have to say that in all the time I've worked ferrets, I've never seen ferrets in such a state, a bulldozer couldn't have reversed up the pile of shit that was in the corner of the cage. The young lads grandad just stood there laughing, and said that they would make good rabbiters because they were so vicious. I asked when they were last out of their cage to be cleaned, he said that they bite to much to be taken out and cleaned. All I wanted to do was punch him in the mouth to wipe the silly grin of his face. He said are you taking them or what! I said yes, but there's no way I'm putting them in my carrier, have you got a cardboard box. He was right about them being biters(check out pictures) I only put them in the box, and got savaged in the process. Anway! took them home, washed them with wash n go shampoo, dried them off, sprayed them to get rid of the mites, and now they look the part. All I have to do now is get them tamed. Hope to have them walking the warrens by Christmas, hopefully. There was one jill and one hob, thinking about getting this new hob vasectomised, don't really need anymore ferrets at the moment. Checked them this morning, think the look ok now, will try to devote extra time to bring them on, then get them doing what they are supposed to do, rabbits. Sorry about the length of this post, got on my soap box a bit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well done taking them in... it was the right thing to do i think!

as for the taming they'll settle with a bit of TLC i'm sure you'll manage in no time!

Good idea to get the boy done at least.. you dont know if they are siblings... not really worth the risk of a bad litter even if you DID want more...

well done!

Should have got the r.s.p.c.a. on to them to many arseholes in this game .How hard is it to keep ferrets clean well fed and handled idiot will probably do the same to a rabbit .Fecking annoying how some folk treat animals

good on ya mate. i to had this situation last christmas some one asked if i wanted two seveen month old ferrets a hob and a jill. luckily for me the were tame due to being handled. have not tryed them hunting yet but they like hole rabbit so fingers crossed.

Should have got the r.s.p.c.a. on to them to many arseholes in this game .How hard is it to keep ferrets clean well fed and handled idiot will probably do the same to a rabbit .Fecking annoying how some folk treat animals

Yeah, they have a go at us hunters for keeping our animals for one reason (work) and not treating them properly. but when it comes to the type of people that are funding the RSPCA they dont really even think about vetting them. should of shown the pet owners that the RSPCA can be pricks and not to stick up for them lol, well done for taking them.