what scope?

im getting a cz 452 .17hmr and am currently looking for the right scope to get. my budget is around £150 and im hoping i can get a pretty decent scope for that price. would it be best to get a mil-dot scope so i can adjust for elevation and windage? if anyone has any good ideas that woud be great.

regards, Jack

also is it worth splashing out on a range finder. i know that for an hmr you wouldnt need to spend huge amounts of money as the ranges wont be huge but i would have thought its still beneficial to know exactly what range rather than using reference points.

hi, try MTC ....mamba ?? or S/H viper...viper better as has 1/8" adjustments...

There has been some very opinionated views about these scopes.

I'm still looking for a scope of the same spend to replace my Nikko gold on my .22lr.

This is the scope i intended to purchase, but thre were too many caveats..

So i've left my nikko on for now.£70 all in.

I am trawling FLEABAY for a replacement as we speak.

I reckon a top notch nikko diamond 2nd hand is the way to go, or similar.

JMHO

Matt

i would have the mtc the crosshair system is great for rimfires. ive used mine on 22lr,hme,22/250 holds zero perfect.

there customer service is spot on to.

Totaly agree Jamie ! you won`t go wrong with the Mtc...ive the Mtc Mamba 4-16 x 50mm on the .22lr 452 CZ and it spot on for bunnies at range and the odd charlie.

10/10 from me on the Mtc range and customer service.

i would have the mtc the crosshair system is great for rimfires. ive used mine on 22lr,hmr,22/250 holds zero perfect.

there customer service is spot on to.

Can't talk from personal experience because I don't have one, but Mr L has....and he has had nothing but grief with the scope and customer service, after seeing all his problems I would never go near one, but perhaps he has just been unlucky...someone always is!!!

PS...... he has f****d off to the States at the moment to try and do some dodgy deals on some new scopes for him and hopefully me....NOT MTC!! :thumbs:

The Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10x50 is a brilliant scope for the money, shop around as they can be had new these days for £130...cost £210 for about 8 years! :thumbs:

cheers boys some good reccomendations. i'll have a look around on ebay. i have to say ive heard alot of good things about mtc scopes and a few bad points so i dont know whether its personal preference or faulty scopes from the factory. thanks for your time.

Jack

the shear amount of scopes mtc sell tell's you there there popular. of course there is allways going to be the odd scope that go's wrong. i wouldnt think twice about buying one again ive had mine over 2 years now been on all my rimfire and my centrefire rifle and never had one problem

Edited by jamie g
cheers boys some good reccomendations. i'll have a look around on ebay. i have to say ive heard alot of good things about mtc scopes and a few bad points so i dont know whether its personal preference or faulty scopes from the factory. thanks for your time.

Jack

I've just got me one of these mil-dot scopes: Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50

140 quid delivered, no tax!

also is it worth splashing out on a range finder. i know that for an hmr you wouldnt need to spend huge amounts of money as the ranges wont be huge but i would have thought its still beneficial to know exactly what range rather than using reference points.

I have a Leupold RX1, bought in the States for $220 last year, it works really well, it's only the basic model, and the max measurable range is about 475>525 yards, (depends on what the target is and for some reason the brightness of the day?). It uses a single camera battery, these cost £4.00+ ea. and they only guarantee 200'ish laser shots from each, that said I have only replaced mine once.

Anyway it's a nice toy, and I use it quite a lot, mostly for setting up my zeroing targets at the 'correct' range. Also when out stalking or pigeon decoying I can sit in my high seat or hide and check all around and accurately measure how far away 'stuff' is i.e. a tree or bush in a hedge, how far the decoys are from the net etc handy and 'right' info. Especially when you are somewhere new or even in a different spot on familiar gound.

You'll be suprised how far out your estimate of range is when you start to measure it realtime. The odd thing is its the closer (sub 100 yds) distances that I was way out on??

It's your call, but for now if I were you I'd put the rangefinder budget on top of your scope money and get a better scope, rangefinder is a 'nice to have' but there's no true'r saying than 'buy your scope with your money, and spend the change on a rifle'.

im getting a cz 452 .17hmr and am currently looking for the right scope to get. my budget is around £150 and im hoping i can get a pretty decent scope for that price. would it be best to get a mil-dot scope so i can adjust for elevation and windage? if anyone has any good ideas that woud be great.

regards, Jack

The 17hmr has given the scope manufacturers a bit of a problem, it's alright to use an (airgun) grade scope on a .22RF. Most people do, and they work just fine. Because despite outrageous claims about 'always' and 'regularly' shooting rabbits at 120 even 150 yards with a rimfire. I would say most rabbits are shot between 25 and 75 yards, the only difference between a decent airgun and a .22RF is the a RF has the 'puff' to actually kill a rabbit past 30 yards.

Now the .17 has come along and thrown a spanner in the works, it can and does shoot accurately and has the power to kill rabbit sized game out to 150 yards, however Airgun scopes just don't have the refinement to cope with this capacity.

You can see what Field Target airgun scopes have done to fill the gap, they have produced much finer purpose designed units that fill this need perfectly, but cost 2x or 3x the price.

My advice is to either buy a high grade airgun FT scope, or a second hand centrefire scope like the Schmidt and Bender 6x42 Hungarian. Believe me if you don't you will end up with a drawer full of ever more expensive 'cheap' scopes, then have to splash out on a 'proper' one anyway.

Trust me, cos' that is exactly what I did.