What do you reckon........Rottweiler x Lurcher

Guest hyperion

aye! an old english as in the dulux dog!

he was well out of standard though so we got him cheap! not sure how tall he was but he once stood up and walked off with the dining room table on his back when we were eating dinner! :yes:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THAT WAS A GREAT POST HAD ME GLUED TO IT NICE ONE

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
Found him whilst looking on epupz....

Just wondered if anybody has this or has had ths cross or how you reckon he would turn out.....

i would have thought there was plenty of half decent pups around from known quantity breeding without taking on what is basically a mongrel? Id be asking what the hipscore was of the rottie parent?? doubt they are responsible owners who care about such things. in a running dog its a disaster waiting to happen in my eyes :(

Just wondered if anybody has this or has had ths cross or how you reckon he would turn out.....

i would have thought there was plenty of half decent pups around from known quantity breeding without taking on what is basically a mongrel? Id be asking what the hipscore was of the rottie parent?? doubt they are responsible owners who care about such things. in a running dog its a disaster waiting to happen in my eyes :(

About right Fairlap, always, always go for quality breeding when choosing a working lurcher. I'm sure that cute little thing will make someone a crackin pet, might even hunt and guard too, but what a gamble for someone to look at it as a working lurcher.

A little tale.....

About 20+ years ago I was looking for a replacement lurcher. I had lost a cracker to Lepto (don't ask me to spell it!), though he was fully jabbed and boostered, one night, lamping off slip, on stubble, he nailed a rat that shot out from under my foot and was bitten for his effort.

A litter I had my eye on had just been born and I'd secured a pup but as i'd only had the one dog, wouldn't have anything to run that year. I heard on the grapevine that a very good bitch, that I'd seen run many times and always admired, was up for sale, as messer that owned her was getting into something else and wasn't going to keep lurchers anymore.

Of minature deerhound type, lurcher X lurcher, Lynx was just about everything I'd ever want in a lurcher, fast, intelligent and dead game. I'd missed out on her a few years before and she was sold to this 'Helmet'. A little past her prime I was sure she'd serve me well and I could possibly breed sommat good out of her along the way. I also thought, knowing her current owner, that I'd like to make sure she had a good and permanent home.

I knocked on 'helmets' door and was invited round the back to view Lynx. To be fair, she looked well enough as she came out from her 'tatty' kennel, though on closer inspection she was soaking underneath from wet lying. £30 quid and she was mine.

We were out as soon as, and, she was just as I expected, great stuff, a real buzz to own her, tried her heart out.

Over the next few weeks we had some great nights, on all quarry but then thing's wern't looking right, she was a little slower and looking larger?

My initial thought was the grub. I'd put her on a real good dry food, knowing that she'd only had the cheepest before, I cut down a little.... Still growing, a little more an still growing. After a week it was obvious..... she was pregnant!!

Feck, feck, feck!!! Reaction, every emotion.... Whats the sire, what do I do with them, I've one coming that i've secured and most of all....I'VE BEEN RIPPED OFF!!!!

Seriously pissed off and straight round his house, more than once, never an answer. So, contact anyone who knows him to tell him the score....!! After a few days he phoned, saying he had no idea she was pregnant when sold and the only dog that had been near her was his mates dog in the back of the car when out lamping. He offered me my money back. No good to me now I thought.

Normally I'd have taken the dog right back, but, I just couldn't bring myself to put her back there, especially with a litter on the way, so I stayed away and convinced myself they may well make handy dogs and all would be well, I even cancelled the pup I was after.

Time passed and the litter arrived.... But they just didn't look right, lots of black an tan's types, huge heads and very big boned.

Again I was back at his house, again no answer! The same phone calls were made and again he eventualy rang. I 'lost the plot' and he knew what as coming, so he better tell me what the sire was. He eventually admitted Lynx had got out and he'd found her tied to the neighbours Rottie!!

Gutted, I advertised the pups honestly in the local paper, to pet homes for £15. Some of them did look very much like lurchers, really racy and smart lookers but not for me. One by one they went until only the biggest (he looked like a pure Rottweiler) and the smallest remained.

A old bloke phoned, looking for a general house dog that 'maybe' could guard, nothing too big though.

He called round to view and again I told him of the parentage. Just what i'm after he said and told me that he lived in a cottage on a large nature area, an area I know well and with the pups running round his feet, picks up the biggest and holds out the money.

This was the only pup I kept contact with. He grew to about 26" with that Rottie head but a racy body and a slight brindle in his coat, no film star though, thats for sure!

He turned out a decent guard, scared the shit out of me everytime I paid a visit and when I did, the old boy would tell me of the dogs hunting ability as he roamed free around the cottage, a rabbit or two a day the dog would bring back, the odd hare too, all was welcome. So the old boy started ferreting with him and he took to it well, well able to catch bolting rabbits, said he'd watched him run a hare to a standstill once. His real fort'e was foxes, he would deff the old boy out when on a line. When loose, he'd kill them an bring them back home, lying on the step and chewing them up to a pulp. Which really upsett his owner as local ramblers often walked past the drive seeing this beast of a dog snarling and chewing up a long dead fox.

What happend to them both I don't know, as the old boy later moved away.

Old Lynx was with me for a few years after but sadly she smashed her shoulder hitting a solitary post when lamping and was PTS.

Oh, and her former owner, luckily we (me and Lynx) bumped into him a year or so later when out lamping and had a long chat...... ;)

A long post, I know but I have a little experiance with this type and maybe that little fella in the photo could just hunt if tried, BUT as i said before, it ain't worth the gamble!

Cheers :D

A great read :clapper::clapper: loved it. I had a Rottie once: brought up with terriers and lurchers: great nose and huge drive: would smash through cover like a bulldozer. Sadly she was from crap stock and her cruciate ligaments, hips and elbows meant that I rehomed her to a pet home as she just couldn't take the work. Like so many badly bred Rotties nowadays I'm afraid.

interesting idea if bred from the right stock then who knows... i was working a rottie yesterday at work a brute of a dog about 2 years old and just staying still with him on the lead attacking a sleeve was a challenge! i personally think a first cross would be too big and heavy to regularly catch smaller quarry, but out here they would probs fair quite well on pigs.

just as a side note there is nothing lacking in the "drive" department with a working lines rottie.

interesting idea if bred from the right stock then who knows... i was working a rottie yesterday at work a brute of a dog about 2 years old and just staying still with him on the lead attacking a sleeve was a challenge! i personally think a first cross would be too big and heavy to regularly catch smaller quarry, but out here they would probs fair quite well on pigs.

just as a side note there is nothing lacking in the "drive" department with a working lines rottie.

yes they certainly do shine in the "drive" :yes: , our boy Graf runs with a bullcross and they work well together :thumbs:

a friend of mine has got a rottie x greyhound from an accidental mating and in his day he was a grand dog , mustard on foxes and as bosun said hed retrieve them back to you smashed to bits, he was a good deer dog as well, rabbits were his daily play thing he was always catching them in short hes a clever dog hes about 14 now and still willing he just wont exept the body s lacking but hes still very alert, id say if you have the time run them on and see they just might surprise you!

A great read :clapper::clapper: loved it. I had a Rottie once: brought up with terriers and lurchers: great nose and huge drive: would smash through cover like a bulldozer. Sadly she was from crap stock and her cruciate ligaments, hips and elbows meant that I rehomed her to a pet home as she just couldn't take the work. Like so many badly bred Rotties nowadays I'm afraid.

Spot on, why people want to use badly bred dogs to make a lurcher.???? A lurcher life is very hard

as it is, they have to be Fit,Agile,strong,Quick, you only GET this from SOUND dogs . A lurcher job

was to catch quarry that could run at 30-40mph, even doing pest control[ lamping] they have to catch it first. You only get this off SOUND+healthy working dogs ;) not macho guard breeds which are

prone to health problem's :( i used to have bullmastiffs, good guards but not healthy animals even

bull terriers[pit] were having health probs in the 80s, you have to remember what a lurcher was

bred for.??? ;)

• 1 month later...

About right Fairlap, always, always go for quality breeding when choosing a working lurcher. I'm sure that cute little thing will make someone a crackin pet, might even hunt and guard too, but what a gamble for someone to look at it as a working lurcher.

A little tale.....

About 20+ years ago I was looking for a replacement lurcher. I had lost a cracker to Lepto (don't ask me to spell it!), though he was fully jabbed and boostered, one night, lamping off slip, on stubble, he nailed a rat that shot out from under my foot and was bitten for his effort.

A litter I had my eye on had just been born and I'd secured a pup but as i'd only had the one dog, wouldn't have anything to run that year. I heard on the grapevine that a very good bitch, that I'd seen run many times and always admired, was up for sale, as messer that owned her was getting into something else and wasn't going to keep lurchers anymore.

Of minature deerhound type, lurcher X lurcher, Lynx was just about everything I'd ever want in a lurcher, fast, intelligent and dead game. I'd missed out on her a few years before and she was sold to this 'Helmet'. A little past her prime I was sure she'd serve me well and I could possibly breed sommat good out of her along the way. I also thought, knowing her current owner, that I'd like to make sure she had a good and permanent home.

I knocked on 'helmets' door and was invited round the back to view Lynx. To be fair, she looked well enough as she came out from her 'tatty' kennel, though on closer inspection she was soaking underneath from wet lying. £30 quid and she was mine.

We were out as soon as, and, she was just as I expected, great stuff, a real buzz to own her, tried her heart out.

Over the next few weeks we had some great nights, on all quarry but then thing's wern't looking right, she was a little slower and looking larger?

My initial thought was the grub. I'd put her on a real good dry food, knowing that she'd only had the cheepest before, I cut down a little.... Still growing, a little more an still growing. After a week it was obvious..... she was pregnant!!

Feck, feck, feck!!! Reaction, every emotion.... Whats the sire, what do I do with them, I've one coming that i've secured and most of all....I'VE BEEN RIPPED OFF!!!!

Seriously pissed off and straight round his house, more than once, never an answer. So, contact anyone who knows him to tell him the score....!! After a few days he phoned, saying he had no idea she was pregnant when sold and the only dog that had been near her was his mates dog in the back of the car when out lamping. He offered me my money back. No good to me now I thought.

Normally I'd have taken the dog right back, but, I just couldn't bring myself to put her back there, especially with a litter on the way, so I stayed away and convinced myself they may well make handy dogs and all would be well, I even cancelled the pup I was after.

Time passed and the litter arrived.... But they just didn't look right, lots of black an tan's types, huge heads and very big boned.

Again I was back at his house, again no answer! The same phone calls were made and again he eventualy rang. I 'lost the plot' and he knew what as coming, so he better tell me what the sire was. He eventually admitted Lynx had got out and he'd found her tied to the neighbours Rottie!!

Gutted, I advertised the pups honestly in the local paper, to pet homes for £15. Some of them did look very much like lurchers, really racy and smart lookers but not for me. One by one they went until only the biggest (he looked like a pure Rottweiler) and the smallest remained.

A old bloke phoned, looking for a general house dog that 'maybe' could guard, nothing too big though.

He called round to view and again I told him of the parentage. Just what i'm after he said and told me that he lived in a cottage on a large nature area, an area I know well and with the pups running round his feet, picks up the biggest and holds out the money.

This was the only pup I kept contact with. He grew to about 26" with that Rottie head but a racy body and a slight brindle in his coat, no film star though, thats for sure!

He turned out a decent guard, scared the shit out of me everytime I paid a visit and when I did, the old boy would tell me of the dogs hunting ability as he roamed free around the cottage, a rabbit or two a day the dog would bring back, the odd hare too, all was welcome. So the old boy started ferreting with him and he took to it well, well able to catch bolting rabbits, said he'd watched him run a hare to a standstill once. His real fort'e was foxes, he would deff the old boy out when on a line. When loose, he'd kill them an bring them back home, lying on the step and chewing them up to a pulp. Which really upsett his owner as local ramblers often walked past the drive seeing this beast of a dog snarling and chewing up a long dead fox.

Old Lynx was with me for a few years after but sadly she smashed her shoulder hitting a solitary post when lamping and was PTS.

Oh, and her former owner, luckily we (me and Lynx) bumped into him a year or so later when out lamping and had a long chat...... ;)

A long post, I know but I have a little experiance with this type and maybe that little fella in the photo could just hunt if tried, BUT as i said before, it ain't worth the gamble!

• Like 1

A little tale.....

great post nice read mate !!!!

Although this topic is heading a little bit off course, IMO as a deliberate cross their not going to bring anything new to the table, as a herding breed they've got some brains and stamina but the collies got more, as for 'gameness' or 'drive' bull's supply that in boundless amounts. The only thing they'd be supplying is Ginger eyebrows!

As a pet I think that pup would probably make a wonderful companion/guard for you and the family, if it comes out with you and takes to hunting/ mooching about then brilliant! Just think of it as a slim Rottie not a Lurcher!

Cheers

Luke.