carts for ducks

• 2 weeks later...
If your allowed to use lead shot go the eley alphamax 5`s.. hey work a treat for me.. I cant help you with steel shot though...

Hi Dwighet....You can't legally use lead shot on a duck even if it lands in your back garden!! But you can legally shoot it with a rifle with a lead bullet...funny old world!!! (England & Wales)

Edited by Deker

Depends on how much you want to spend on them Deek.

You can buy Tungsten or Bismuth for about £35 a box, give or take a few £, and yes that's for 25!! I'd use No.5 shot size.

Steel, depends on what again, but a decent Duck shell for inland Ponds I find, that Express Supreme Steel, 32g No.4 is plenty enough. They are about £6-7 a box.

SS :thumbs:

Depends on how much you want to spend on them Deek.

You can buy Tungsten or Bismuth for about £35 a box, give or take a few £, and yes that's for 25!! I'd use No.5 shot size.

Steel, depends on what again, but a decent Duck shell for inland Ponds I find, that Express Supreme Steel, 32g No.4 is plenty enough. They are about £6-7 a box.

jesus at those prices i would rather shoot the .50bmg and have more fun.............aren't we lucky we can pop them with any old cartridge here in eire....... :clapper:

jesus at those prices i would rather shoot the .50bmg and have more fun.............aren't we lucky we can pop them with any old cartridge here in eire....... :clapper:

F@%&*{}~^&$&**%%& Irishman :chair:

:laugh: :laugh:

Snap, you don't know how lucky you are, I don't shoot a lot of Duck or Geese each season but there are Wildfowling boys who shoot 200+ cartridges and a lot more in some cases, for a decent Goose cartridge, thats a big dent in your pocket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
If your allowed to use lead shot go the eley alphamax 5`s.. hey work a treat for me.. I cant help you with steel shot though...

Hi Dwighet....You can't legally use lead shot on a duck even if it lands in your back garden!! But you can legally shoot it with a rifle with a lead bullet...funny old world!!! (England & Wales)

im sure it is not legal to shoot waterfowl with a single projectile.. to do so for pest control i think you need a special licence...

im sure it is not legal to shoot waterfowl with a single projectile.. to do so for pest control i think you need a special licence...

Can you show me the legislation please!!! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Lucky, that all depends, steel does not fragment and therefore you dont consume any metals when you eat game shot with steel.

I say this with the hope that it does not start a debate, just a point.

And since the switch to lead-free a number of regions have seen increasing survival of wildfowl through winter.

Deker, I am sure it says in the legislation for the taking of wildfowl for England and Wales and Scotland states that it must be done with a smooth bore weapon using lead-free shot. I could not find anything on the updated DEFRA website.

The supreme STeel by lyalvale is a High Performance steel shot cart so make sure you are confident your gun can handle it, which technically means it is steel shot proofed. If your gun is not steel shot proofed I suggest you stick to Bismuth, which are expensive, effective but soft metal and can be fired in any gun. 30gm + of 5's should do the trick on a flight pond.

You can shoot at wildfowl with lead in any non-permanant wetland site in Scotland or where the lead is NOT going to fall in a permanent wetland. You cant shoot at wildfowl with lead anywhere in England and Wales, and likely in NI from next year.

Lucky, that all depends, steel does not fragment and therefore you dont consume any metals when you eat game shot with steel.

I say this with the hope that it does not start a debate, just a point.

And since the switch to lead-free a number of regions have seen increasing survival of wildfowl through winter.

Deker, I am sure it says in the legislation for the taking of wildfowl for England and Wales and Scotland states that it must be done with a smooth bore weapon using lead-free shot. I could not find anything on the updated DEFRA website.

The supreme STeel by lyalvale is a High Performance steel shot cart so make sure you are confident your gun can handle it, which technically means it is steel shot proofed. If your gun is not steel shot proofed I suggest you stick to Bismuth, which are expensive, effective but soft metal and can be fired in any gun. 30gm + of 5's should do the trick on a flight pond.

You can shoot at wildfowl with lead in any non-permanant wetland site in Scotland or where the lead is NOT going to fall in a permanent wetland. You cant shoot at wildfowl with lead anywhere in England and Wales, and likely in NI from next year.

just out of intrest, can eating game shot with lead cause any helth problems?

• 1 month later...

i've eaten game with lead shot in it since i was born, done me no harm ....no comments.lol.

bit late i understand but i use eley VIP bismuth no in my 20 for ducks, i would avoid steel like the plague, just not heavy enough, for 12 i would get some express heavi-shot, no.4 gives you the choice of a goose then. but i shot one with the 20 soo....