Good home wanted for handy padderdale

There are lots of working terriers that i know which i wouldn't trust with kids, you encourage them to hunt and kill squeaking furry things

Rabbits squeak, hares squeak, rats squeak.....so are all lurchers, terriers and working dogs unsafe around kids :doh:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very loving dog but his desire to kill small things includes my nine month old son.

Labs, your right, time to chill 8) . I was basing my comments on this statement, a very strong statement rather than the one you have received :victory:

anyone who would put a childs life in danger, is no less than a peadophile in my oppinion, and any dog thats shows an interest in attacking kids (apart from trained guard dogs that are doing there job on there own property) needs putting to sleep, and anyone that thinks otherwise needs to get there heads checked out.....

anyone who would put a childs life in danger, is no less than a peadophile in my oppinion, and any dog thats shows an interest in attacking kids (apart from trained guard dogs that are doing there job on there own property) needs putting to sleep, and anyone that thinks otherwise needs to get there heads checked out.....

even a trained attack dog should know better than to go for a child..... so i have been told...

Guest gaz100604
Very loving dog but his desire to kill small things includes my nine month old son.

Labs, your right, time to chill 8) . I was basing my comments on this statement, a very strong statement rather than the one you have received :victory:

me too lad its quite a strong statement. imo simoman is talking quite alot of sense and most of it is common sense a few of previous posters are clearly lacking :wallbash:

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Ive personaly had to go round to a mates house and remove his lovely pet tame dog out of the garden and take it to a rescue centre as it bit him in the stomach, bless him he was to scared to go in there (was a terrier x sumit weird mongrel thingy) I took it to the centre and told him what had happend and the first words where we will have to have it put down, i said your bloody not and took it home, held on to him for a few weeks and found a bloke who was willing to take him on, when i had him never had a single drama, so do not know why it bit it just did. The bloke who had him off me ( a fellow squaddie) Has never had a drama ether. yes this dog one day might bite again but so might any dog.

there is many a dog that is unsafe around kids. basicaly all dogs, sure u all remember the kid who got bit by the retriver and put down wasnt untill afterwards the kid owned up and admitied shoving a pencil in its ear. imo a kid specialy young kid should never be left with a dog no matter how timid u think he may be. I think the bloke was honest in saying it is trying for his kid this is why it needs to be rehomed. He is honest, so all it means is it goes to a family without kids.

Look in any rescue centre and the amount that are not good for kids. so you telling me they should all be put down aswell.

I think the dog would make a great pet for a family who have no young kids. Its a dog and should not be killed just because it has a bad trait.

well thats my oppinion its not the same as all of yours but mine.

but i will say, that a pure agrresive dog that will bight anything and anything should only be putdown as a last resort, some dogs will have to be as they will never come round. But as a last resort.

Edited by fraggle
There are lots of working terriers that i know which i wouldn't trust with kids, you encourage them to hunt and kill squeaking furry things

Rabbits squeak, hares squeak, rats squeak.....so are all lurchers, terriers and working dogs unsafe around kids :doh:

I didn't word that properly, i ment that by encouraging a prey drive in a dog and allowing him to work on small game you need to respect that he's been bred to do that.

A 9 mth baby wriggling around the floor making sqeaking/ gurgling noises, and a high drive terrier IMO is bad news.

However as i turns out the poor dog was not in the wrong. drama over.

Just as a point of interest, my terrier recently sired a litter: until they looked and behaved like smaller versions of himself (at about 6 weeks old) their noise and movement to him said "prey"! He is absolutely fine with them now, though grumbles if they jump up at him and moves out of their way: when they were little squeakers his eyes alone told me he saw/heard them as things that needed killing.

IMO, any terrier, working or not, should not be allowed near small children unless, as Oneredtrim says, it absolutely does know that its place is at the bottom of the human pack, and that includes tiny children. However, I also think it is grossly unfair on any dog to subject them to tiny children/toddlers etc. It only takes a milli second for something to go wrong. Yes, we've all seen dogs that will put up with anything from a kid, but for every case where wonder dog is around, there are as many cases where the dog retaliates, maybe only with a growl, which doesn't make the news.

The warning snap an older dog gives a puppy won't damage it or even draw blood: the same snap in a toddler's face can slice the skin: human skin is the same thickness as a hamster's skin (apparently!).

Just don't take chances!

IMO that initial post was wrongly worded, as other people have said, but the name of the poster might give some indication to the fact that maybe the dog does find itself in a dominant postion within the pack!