Guest blackntan
would any of you lads use a dog that is bred to the bollocks but was sold to a pet home. the dog in question is out of my old dog (now dead) and a 110% digging bitch, he was given to a mate 6 years ago as a pet . when he walks him he flies to ground and has caught a couple of mink on the river bank. he is the only dog i can find out of my old one. is it worth a gamble? The old dog was one in a million but was run over when my bitch ex wife let all my dogs out after an argument one night. your thoughts please.

six years might be a bit long mate to try to start a terrier working. But you never know if the breeding is there it might still take to the digging.

Sorry not made it clear. i meant to use as a stud. the dog is a pet and could not take it digging.

In that case absolutly not! If the dog hasnt worked dont breed from it. No matter how good the breeding of the dog is. If I was Breeding I would like to see both parents with at least four seasons work under its belt.

bulllllllllll shite

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your chance your choice nothing ventured nothing gained good luck if you decide to breed :thumbs:

I would go for it, if you are happy with the original line then you know what you have. that one bout only breeding from a dog that has dug for 4 seasons is FANTASY DIGGIN' LAND. If you know your stuff a few digs should tell you what you have. Mate of mine had bred some workers one of which he sold to smallholder to keep down rats, after 4-5 years the person who owned it got sick and was not able to care for the dog ( the dog was very boisterous and always chasing cats attacking dogs etc). My mate got it back and worked it for a couple of months(had a couple of 3 hour digs), However when the original owner recovered and missed the dog so the he asked for it back. He was delighted when he got it back as the dog was much quieter and mannerly. When the dog becomes boisterous now, we give a dig to "quieten him" and his owner is delighted with his change in behaviour. He also served two Nuttal bred bitches and both litters were good hard workers.

Voon.

dogs are born with the genes to produce, just because the litter brother is the best worker, does not mean he has the better chance to produce, the only thing is the working dog will make you feel that bit better when you mate it to your bitch !!

take one look at the replies you got to this post, ask your self how many of these guys are in this game and how long there in it ,ask them did they ever produce a working terrier, did they ever own a good working terrier !!! how many have ever bred to a well bred dog that was never dug ???. you have lads on here that say brian nuttall does not work his terriers dont buy off him, yet he can produce top class working terriers from his breeding, why ???????????????????

because he is breeding off of dogs/ bitches that have the best of breeding in them !!!!!!! breeding has to be there to start with !!!!!!!! you cant put it in later.

some of the best line of pit bulls are down off dogs that quit !!!!!!!!! but they could produce better that them selfs !!!!! if the bitch you intend to breed is a line bred bitch from the dog you would like to breed then go ahead and do it !!

i have spoken to guys on here that lost there line of workers when they outcrossed, when i breed a litter of pups before there even born, i can tell you how i intend breeding them to continue my line of working terriers !!

if you have two brothers from a litter, one is a top class working terrier, the other has never been worked if i had a choice i would go for the working terrier, but in your case you have only one dog to choose from, the point i am making is, if both dogs were alive, know one could tell which one would produce better unless you breed them to the same bitch, produced different litters worked them, then you get a fair idea of which one is a better producing dog with that bitch...............

NOW IF THE BITCH YOU INTENT BREEDING IS NOT A LINE BRED BITCH OF THE DOG YOU INTEND TO USE .......... THEN THAT WOULD BE A WHOLE NEW POST........AND I DONT HAVE THE TIME RIGHT NOW AS I HAVE TO WALK MY DOGS.. MY ADVICE TO YOU IS SPEAK TO A PERSON THAT HAS BRED AND PRODUCED WORKING TERRIERS ALL HIS LIFE FOR SOME ADVICE, 90% OF THE TIME ON THIS FORUM THE ADVISE YOU GETTING ARE FROM YOUNG LADS THAT WOULD NOT KNOW A FOX EARTH FROM A BADGER SETT, OR OTHERS THAT ARE DIGGING 40 YEARS AND DUG ABOUT ONCE A YEAR IF YOU WERE TO KNOW THE TRUTH, JUST BECAUSE THE TERRIERMAN UP THE ROAD IS A CRANKY f****r AND HAS GOOD TERRIERS ALL HIS LIFE DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANT KNOCK AT HIS DOOR AND ASK HIM HIS OPINION ON BREEDING ETC, IF YOU WANT TO LEARN ABOUT BREEDING OR HOW TO WORK AND BRING ON YOUNG PUPS YOU MUST ASK ADVISE !!!!!!!!!!!! BUT YOU MUST ASK IT FROM THE RIGHT PERSON NOT SOME GUY SITTING BEHIND A KEY BOARD YOU DONT EVEN KNOW >>>>> RANT OVER !! BEST OF LUCK .

:clapper::clapper::clapper: Quite simply one of 'THE' best replies to a post about Working Terriers on this forum, very well put p***y.

dogs are born with the genes to produce, just because the litter brother is the best worker, does not mean he has the better chance to produce, the only thing is the working dog will make you feel that bit better when you mate it to your bitch !!

bitches that have the best of breeding in them !!!!!!! breeding has to be there to start with !!!!!!!! you cant put it in later.

Excellent post p***y// :clapper:

If the lines of the dog are spot on, as you say they are, and you want to keep your own tried and tested lines.. then I'd use it first, by first I mean rather than use some 1/2 bred dog that works but might have been bred out of shite..

and if you're not passing them of as 'workers' for money then you have nothing to lose but your own time and experience... good luck whatever direction you go !!

lad if you do breed it (which I would say not to) and they turn out no use you will have wasted a good opportunity to line your bitch with a proven worker. It will take at least 2 seasons from now to properly give the pups a chance and if they dont work out your back to square 1. Anything could happen your bitch in two years. Play it safe and breed to a tried and tested worker ( by that I mean at least 4 seasons work as previously stated) and start a new line of workers. Taking a chance like that to preserve an old line is not worth it. There are plenty of good working lines out there.

"There are plenty of good working lines out there."

Is there ?

take one look at the replies you got to this post, ask your self how many of these guys are in this game and how long there in it ,ask them did they ever produce a working terrier, did they ever own a good working terrier !!! how many have ever bred to a well bred dog that was never dug ???. you have lads on here that say brian nuttall does not work his terriers dont buy off him, yet he can produce top class working terriers from his breeding, why ???????????????????

because he is breeding off of dogs/ bitches that have the best of breeding in them !!!!!!! breeding has to be there to start with !!!!!!!! you cant put it in later.

some of the best line of pit bulls are down off dogs that quit !!!!!!!!! but they could produce better that them selfs !!!!! if the bitch you intend to breed is a line bred bitch from the dog you would like to breed then go ahead and do it !!

i have spoken to guys on here that lost there line of workers when they outcrossed, when i breed a litter of pups before there even born, i can tell you how i intend breeding them to continue my line of working terriers !!

if you have two brothers from a litter, one is a top class working terrier, the other has never been worked if i had a choice i would go for the working terrier, but in your case you have only one dog to choose from, the point i am making is, if both dogs were alive, know one could tell which one would produce better unless you breed them to the same bitch, produced different litters worked them, then you get a fair idea of which one is a better producing dog with that bitch...............

NOW IF THE BITCH YOU INTENT BREEDING IS NOT A LINE BRED BITCH OF THE DOG YOU INTEND TO USE .......... THEN THAT WOULD BE A WHOLE NEW POST........AND I DONT HAVE THE TIME RIGHT NOW AS I HAVE TO WALK MY DOGS.. MY ADVICE TO YOU IS SPEAK TO A PERSON THAT HAS BRED AND PRODUCED WORKING TERRIERS ALL HIS LIFE FOR SOME ADVICE, 90% OF THE TIME ON THIS FORUM THE ADVISE YOU GETTING ARE FROM YOUNG LADS THAT WOULD NOT KNOW A FOX EARTH FROM A BADGER SETT, OR OTHERS THAT ARE DIGGING 40 YEARS AND DUG ABOUT ONCE A YEAR IF YOU WERE TO KNOW THE TRUTH, JUST BECAUSE THE TERRIERMAN UP THE ROAD IS A CRANKY f****r AND HAS GOOD TERRIERS ALL HIS LIFE DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANT KNOCK AT HIS DOOR AND ASK HIM HIS OPINION ON BREEDING ETC, IF YOU WANT TO LEARN ABOUT BREEDING OR HOW TO WORK AND BRING ON YOUNG PUPS YOU MUST ASK ADVISE !!!!!!!!!!!! BUT YOU MUST ASK IT FROM THE RIGHT PERSON NOT SOME GUY SITTING BEHIND A KEY BOARD YOU DONT EVEN KNOW >>>>> RANT OVER !! BEST OF LUCK .

says it all.spot on mate. :notworthy::notworthy:

Breed the dog and put the pups at 200 pound in the for sale section of this site under "terrier pups from good working lines" . There are clearly enough wallys on here that will buy one from you.

Guest blackntan

:laugh::laugh:

Breed the dog and put the pups at 200 pound in the for sale section of this site under "terrier pups from good working lines" . There are clearly enough wallys on here that will buy one from you.

:laugh: :laugh:see whats the first thing that comes in your head money, what he should do is have a litter and give them to close mates who cann bring them on and see how they turn out , if its in them its in them its up to the owner to get the best out of them , keep a couple for him self , and borderland keep reading them books :thumbs:

:laugh: :laugh:see whats the first thing that comes in your head money, what he should do is have a litter and give them to close mates who cann bring them on and see how they turn out , if its in them its in them its up to the owner to get the best out of them , keep a couple for him self , and borderland keep reading them books :thumbs:

Im not worried about money, as I have previously stated on here I think the price of dogs has got out of control lately. Answer me this genius. How do you know the PET dog wouldnt have quit after a season Had it worked or became a dog that false marked, or had any number of problems?? The pups will have these characteristics as well. Thats the reason genuine hunters want to see a dog proven before they breed from it. Not all pups from proven Lines work you know. If they did we would have a country flooded with 100% working terriers. Stop filling this guys head full of nonsense. And to the rest please dont throw names like levi oakes and brian nuttall around , It doesnt add any weight to your post.

Guest blackntan

read what you have wrote , you have agreed that not all pups from so called working lines turn out to be digging dogs, so this man has a dog that was sold as a pup as a pet but is out of working lines :icon_eek: SO he would like to use this dog to line a working bitch, and your saying no as only worker to worker will produce workers . then you say not all pups from working lines work, :icon_eek: make your mind up wonderland, think you have been drinking to much GENIUS :drink: TO THE LAD WHO WROTE THIS THREAD LINE YOU BITCH WITH THE DOG KEEP A COUPLE AND KEEP AN EYE ON THE OTHERS LIKE IN ALL LITTERS SOME WILL MAKE DIGGING DOGS SOME WILL MAKE RATTERS AND SOME WILL GO AS PETS OR BUY ONE OFF BORDERLAND 100% WORKERS OR BE LIKE ALL THE REST BRING IT ON YOUR SELF YOU MIGHT BE SUPPRISED BY THE OUT COME]