new dog...

as a few of you know a got a new dog on friday..hes eating really well but is underweight,an i was just wondering what other people use or have used to put weight on your dog....raw,pure meat,dry food??? thanks in advance for any replies i'll be back on later..cheers chris..

sorry lads......cant agree with you totally there.....

raw meet is excelent...sure...and high protein is great for builing muscle. However if its just general weight you want to put on...you need to up the carb intake.....

Carbohydrates are for gaining wieght...ie starchy food like paster......bread......

same priciple as body building - carb-up for mass and bulk......and cut carbs and increase protien if on a cutting cycle

Guest little lurcher

bit of cheese, some suet dumplings in a chicken broth works well, just boil down some chicken or chicken frames , lamb bones with plenty of meat left on are excellent too, add some rice and then the suet dumplings , allow to cool and spread over 3 meals , feed little and often, also as already said a good worming will help too , resting greyhound food is excellent as a base food, but dont mix unless using a food designed to be added too or you will upset the balance, if the dog has a dodgy belly then some plain natural yoghurt will aid digestion

good luck

Guest little lurcher
forgot to say was talking to a mate earlier an he recommended redmills an boiled chicken...anybody ever tried it???

thats what i was suggesting , there are very few foods recommended to be fed alone or added to , red mills tracker is excellent imo

iv had dogs on red mills racer mate i also use dr john silver for the springer and bulldog red mills make the doctor john to compete with lower price feeds as far as i have been told bye my horse feed/dog feed supplier. i give mine an egg every day and they get a pound of mince one day and nearly a pound of white fish the next mixt with soaked biscuits and a brown roll or two helps get the weight on see a baker and ask for there old wholemeal and brown rolls or out of date ones etc and freeze them and use them in the feed . i feed both my meet and fish cooked but thats due to me getting the meat already cooked and bagged and some of my dogs wont touch the raw fish so i need to cook it . wouldnt give the dog white pasta or bread just bungs yi up and isnt much good to us never mind the dogs .