Hi guys,(new to this section)

I have been recently convicted of a common assault charge, I dont need to go into details but lets just say a local scumbag was pushing my buttons and I let frustration get the better of me! (wont be happening again).

I have always enjoyed shooting sports and have been airguning for around 6 years now, I have always represented the sport in the best possible way and never had any trouble with the police regarding guns in anyway.

I have recently acquired a permission that has a lot of land and would be perfect for a rimfire and I just want to make the progression from airguns to real guns.

I think I already know what most of you guys are going to say but I would like your perspective and experience to give me an idea weather its even worth applying.

Thanks in advance guys!! :gunsmilie:

Hi guys,(new to this section)

I have been recently convicted of a common assault charge, I dont need to go into details but lets just say a local scumbag was pushing my buttons and I let frustration get the better of me! (wont be happening again).

I have always enjoyed shooting sports and have been airguning for around 6 years now, I have always represented the sport in the best possible way and never had any trouble with the police regarding guns in anyway.

I have recently acquired a permission that has a lot of land and would be perfect for a rimfire and I just want to make the progression from airguns to real guns.

I think I already know what most of you guys are going to say but I would like your perspective and experience to give me an idea weather its even worth applying.

Thanks in advance guys!! :gunsmilie:

The Only way you will ever know yes or no is to apply and see.

If you are refused you will have your money refunded. You have nothing to lose.

Go for it, all they can say is no. If you really want it, join a organisation, like BASC or SACS with a good legal team to fight for you.

Common Assault is not as bad as some who have gained FAC's.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

Cheers mate I think thats the only way I am gonna know for sure!!

Would popping on my suit and going to have a chat with the local FAO be a good idea??

worth a try mate. i would just go for it and be truefull on your forms then when you get to see the flo if he asks about the

trouble you have been in. just be truthfull tell him it was a silly mistake and you really njoy your shooting and your very sorry for your actions and that it will never happen again.

and your very worried that this could afect your chances of fac. i had the same problem i keep myself to myself but one stupid night just snapped at the local dickhead and gave him a good hiding. i didnt get done just got a warning but so did he.

when the flo came round to see me he asked me about it and i tild him i was sorry and that it would never happen again.

he could see i was tellingthe truth and said he was glad i was honest with him. and that i would get the fac but had to keep my temper in check otherwise i would not get a second chance and they would take my rifles.

since that day i have been so chilled out and layed back as it makes you think evertime. and i love my shooting and would be gutted if i couldnt have my own rifles anymore. :thumbs:

so just go for it and be honest :thumbs: how long ago was the fight you had with this guy ?

Same with me, I never expected to get my FAC but after being honest and frank with the FEO I got mine.

My record is for posession of an offencive weapon in a public place, threatening behaviour, assault and a serious driving offence.

They were some tima ago but I did still get asked about these.

Go for it you have nothing to lose.

CBW

Cheers for the support guys!!! :signthankspin:

This conviction was very recent as in a week ago doah!!

Reading your helpful posts has given me a glimmer of hope, But I reckon its still a bit soon may have to wait a year or two with a clean record but I will see what the FAO says.

Typical though I get all set to go for my FAC and one stupid fook pushes me to breaking point and has probably ruined my chances!!! I love airguning but I would be very upset if this seriously delays my progression to firearms!!

go to a local gun club, do a six month probationary period where they check your safe etc, then the fellas at the club will help you fill the application and put their name on it. you should have no problems, we know of a few that have got their license this way. also if they refuse you can apply for a license for target only and then upgrade from there to vermin. good luck.

go to a local gun club, do a six month probationary period where they check your safe etc, then the fellas at the club will help you fill the application and put their name on it. you should have no problems, we know of a few that have got their license this way. also if they refuse you can apply for a license for target only and then upgrade from there to vermin. good luck.

Good thinking mate I will try and find a decent local club and pop along and see about joining!!

Cheers for that cracking Idea!!

• 4 weeks later...

With the conviction being recently this does alter the importance of it on your application. As others have said, it may have to be that you put it in your FAC app and hope for the best. You have to ask though...if it were you making the decision, would you grant it ?? A hard question to answer but when they have 100's applying with clean records etc....

My advice, fill in your form, get the character references so that the people have known you all of your life, let them mention that the recent trouble has been a "regrettable blip" ....obviously out of character . What they write about you is private but a chat before hand etc...

You can always appeal but not certain of the percentage that go through after this.

Your not the first mate, wont be the last and i hope things go well for you in your application process. Above all else BE truthful, thats all they want. ;)

Forgot to say.....add a letter, cant do any harm. Explaining who you are, what your about. They dont know you, paint a true picture of the events and why it wont happen again...!! In my small time going through the process i have found all involved to be fair and very reasonable . Its got to make everyone feel better otherwise handing out certificates left , right and center we would be in a right mess..

Edited by sidesy

no worries mate, i managed to get my fac and that was with a serious offense well it went wrong shall we say and we were never expecting the trouble that we got. but we went to court and the case was admonished and silly me thought a great no record well that was wrong had plod along and he asked why i hadnt put down my conviction and they said that it was a misunderstanding and the licence arrived a week later. so i wouldnt worry mate.

liam