looks like hancock it is

I think one problem is that many people disregard Hancock simply because of the connection with Plummer. :hmm: My first two dogs were bred by Hancock. The first was bought as a pup in around '91 and was sired by Remus. The second was bought shortly after as an adult from a third party, this one was Richard x Linnet ie 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound. I was fairly pleased with both but the important thing, and which many people keep coming back to so apologies if this is going over old ground, is that I liked the look of the collies. By this I mean that I'd found out about them and was confident in their ability to produce the goods, obviously with the second dog this was accentuated by the fact that the dam was worked as a ferreting dog too. I don't know much about the line of collies used now though I gather his beardie(s) are based more on recent working lines. However, I could be completely wrong about this.

As to the other negative opinions re overbreeding; I won't comment on that other than to say I'd find it hard to breed even one litter as I'd be worried about finding suitable homes for all the pups and you can usually find what you want from somewhere or other if you look hard enough, but that's just me.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puppy farming is wrong, simple.

It's bad news for the dogs as well as many of the owners

He's a comercial breeder not a puppy farmer :doh:

He constantly has pups for sale, he constantly has a advert in the CMW.....!! HE is banging out puppys every week, how can anyone who cares about dogs in general or working dogs...........Justify that behaviour....seriously

Its his buisness thats what he doe's he sells dog of a specific type if there wasn't a niche or demand for them he wouldn't be there so there's his justification right there. His kennels get inspected on a regular basis same as any comercial breeder. There's hundreds of ad's in the CMW every week not just from Hancock do they justify there reason's? There are other comercial breeders out there who sell Lurchers and they dont get the abuse that Hancock doe's time some folk got themselves some new material IMO. :thumbdown:

puppy farmer!!!!!!! most other people breed for themselves and to have there own line not for proffit :thumbdown: ,why you gota try justyfy a puppy farmer??? you must have one of his dogs?? :icon_redface::blink: :wallbash:his dogs have put people off the collie x as a good working lurcher,iv bred a line of my own,all from working dogs and iv restored faith in peoples opinion of collie xs after the only ones they'v ever seen are from a puppy farm from none working dogs.!!!

Most people dont breed their own dog but buy them from someone else and out of a litter how many would you keep? prob 1..so the rest are sold on for profit...doe's that make you a puppy farmer?....I dont have the time or the inclination to breed my own litter anymore so I go to Hancock cause he has the type of dog I like...so it takes all the hassle out of breeding for me and I dont have the worry of getting rid of excess pups. As for owning his dogs I own three of them and they've all done what they were intended for. There's plenty of folk in here with hancocks and they're more than happy with them so me or them dont need to jusitfy anything especially not to you...you've came on this post with the sole purpose of having a bitch at hancock why not start your own thread instead and advertise your pups in there....its not his dogs that have put people of collie x's, probably more to do with half arsed comments from people like your self that talk out their arse :thumbdown:

shall i bite the bullet then lads ive no luck finding a lurcher of here .shall i go to hancock or hang on abit i would consider other x but no bull up to 5/6 months old

hi i went to hanCOCK had problem with the training so gave him a bell for advice before i could finish what i had to say he said if it,s your money back your to late i thought he was an ok bloke but that changed my mind pronto if you want a dog go to a dog man not a farmer i wish you all the best

Perhaps that answers the whole Hancock thing? Alot of the people who buy from him can't actually train a dog? Not haveing a personal dig but I think

that is the case with alot of the failures. You admit that you were having trouble training the pup but why call the breeder? Now hancock is a twat and all hancock dogs are shite? If you had no training issues hancock would be great.

Sometimes people need to look closer to home me thinks :whistling:

i have trained a few gun dogs in my time with good results plus whippet crosses with results i was proud of i drove from inverness area to choose the bitch and two weeks time went back down to pick her up .this is the fist collie bred i have trained after all the time and money i spent i thought the man could shine some light on the matter for me after all i would do same for anyone yes it is all up to me to train the dog but all i asked for was some help i do not no it all but i do try best for the dog sorry if i have offended you or anyone else but i was very offended by hancocks after sale service

No offence mate but if your looking to train a lurcher to the same standard as a gundog your in the wrong game! Lurchers were way back at the end of the que when brains were dished out :icon_eek:

shall i bite the bullet then lads ive no luck finding a lurcher of here .shall i go to hancock or hang on abit i would consider other x but no bull up to 5/6 months old

hi i went to hanCOCK had problem with the training so gave him a bell for advice before i could finish what i had to say he said if it,s your money back your to late i thought he was an ok bloke but that changed my mind pronto if you want a dog go to a dog man not a farmer i wish you all the best

Perhaps that answers the whole Hancock thing? Alot of the people who buy from him can't actually train a dog? Not haveing a personal dig but I think

that is the case with alot of the failures. You admit that you were having trouble training the pup but why call the breeder? Now hancock is a twat and all hancock dogs are shite? If you had no training issues hancock would be great.

i have trained a few gun dogs in my time with good results plus whippet crosses with results i was proud of i drove from inverness area to choose the bitch and two weeks time went back down to pick her up .this is the fist collie bred i have trained after all the time and money i spent i thought the man could shine some light on the matter for me after all i would do same for anyone yes it is all up to me to train the dog but all i asked for was some help i do not no it all but i do try best for the dog sorry if i have offended you or anyone else but i was very offended by hancocks after sale service

No offence mate but if your looking to train a lurcher to the same standard as a gundog your in the wrong game! Lurchers were way back at the end of the que when brains were dished out :icon_eek:

Thought that was the whole idea of having collie crosses, the brain power.

I've had lurchers more biddable and obedient than most gundogs I've seen.

I seem to notice everyone on this site are always going on about waiting for dogs with good bloodline what bullshite u can breed after two of the best dogs around and get f**k all.Personally i find its lazy c**ts who know f**k all about hunting and dont have patience or know how to train a dog and who ever this point fits would be better of with a poodle.

Just how deep does this prejudice go? So you wouldn't buy a dog from Hancock, but would you buy a dog from a lurcher to lurcher mating that had a 'Hancock' in it's breeding?

people will always have their own opinion thats fact and this world would be pritty grey other wise, the bottom line is that magpies dog is as good as it is not by breeding or where it came from but knowlage, training, and time.

as i said the bitch he has is good it has been on some of my permission and can come back anytime, part of my education will come from this aswell as the advice that magpie has given me and i am happy to follow it. all the people slating hanckoc should look at thier own dogs spend less time typing and more time hunting our passion is under constant threat so put as much effort into its preservation as bitching and the knowlage and hard work of generations might not go to shite so i an going to go do what you should be doing and that is strengthen my relationship with land owners by pest controll.

the season is apon us , get out there

Thought that was the whole idea of having collie crosses, the brain power.

I've had lurchers more biddable and obedient than most gundogs I've seen.

Well its part of it, the collie does add a bit of brain power and stamina but the less collie the less brain I'm afraid...biddable is a lot diff to intelligence you show me any lurcher trained to the standard of a good gun dog I'll pay you to train mine. :whistling:

Guest Leveller

A lad I know had one and it was a bag of shit it looked alright but couldn't do f**k all on it's own except for finding barb wire it excelled at that and spent most of it's young life in stitches (much like me laughing at the clown) it's your money so you can please yourself.

Personally I wouldn't ever get a working dog off anybody who churned them out for the sole reason of earning an income we all have to make a crust I know that but I've never been a fan of puppy farms or dog dealers so they'll not get my cash.

Pups come from mates or friends of friends that I trust and who's knowledge, thoughts and dog working history I respect that's the way it will always be with me :victory:

I seem to notice everyone on this site are always going on about waiting for dogs with good bloodline what bullshite u can breed after two of the best dogs around and get f**k all.Personally i find its lazy c**ts who know f**k all about hunting and dont have patience or know how to train a dog and who ever this point fits would be better of with a poodle.

I guess you have written off most of the respected dog men in the game, you really have shown yourself up mate :no:

Guest reload

What a completely stupid statement, lurchers dont have brains, or is it the dogs you are using.

A good lurcher should be able to work like a gundog at times, and have intelligence and speed.....

i also find it hard to see where the best pups in a litter are worth the same money as the runts etc?? but all pups farm bred are £200 pound no haggeling even if you bort the whole lot,no litter is even id never sell a whole litter for the same price you get good and shit in all litters,i wouldnt buy a pup unless i had pritty much pick of the litter,thats why i breed my own,!!

I'll have to get a few tips off you next time i buy a pup, at six weeks old they all look the same to me.

if they look all the same to you mate,then with respect id be happy to help you find your next pup, :victory:

I guess you have written off most of the respected dog men in the game, you really have shown yourself up mate :no:

:clapper::victory::clapper:

that is the case with alot of the failures. You admit that you were having trouble training the pup but why call the breeder? Now hancock is a ---- and all hancock dogs are shite? If you had no training issues hancock would be great.

mate your way back at the end ov the que for brains,i keep 5 lurchers and i need them all cause im bang at it come winter and roughing up in summer.most ov my bitches id put into gun dog triles.give your mouth a chance feller,i got terriers that will retrive winged duck from water. :icon_redface::icon_eek::icon_eek::feck:

What a completely stupid statement, lurchers dont have brains, or is it the dogs you are using.

A good lurcher should be able to work like a gundog at times, and have intelligence and speed.....

Its only stupid cause you read it wrong :doh: never said lurchers dont have brains, only that theyre not as smart as a good gun dog they can be trained to a decent standard but nowhere near as good a standard as a gundog....so go on then smart ass prove me wrong 8)