Docking

dock

D'ya know - a lady I know of, quite prominent in the terrier world, shan't name her 'cos it wouldn't be fair, reckoned that people would stop, although I should say she's for docking herself, but she really thought most owners wouldn't bother docking after the lastest Animal Welfare Act came out!

Glad the consensus I'm getting proves her wrong.

Must be talking about R.A now LOL LOL..Most know her views on (working terriers)

can i add my two penneth (not that i know anything, so its a humble opinion) , my dog has a bit of a stumpy tail (undocked, naturally stumpy i think) watching him in the brambles, thickets, holes, bushes etc i do worry about his tail getting caught as obviously it gets very erect and waggy (no pun intended) when hes on a trail and excited. ive thought about having it docked (can it be done at any age?) and when i have another dog i certainly will buy one with a docked tail. always sat on the fence about the docking business but now fell off onto docking side now i know better!

Have a non- working cocker with an undocked tail and have got used to it.

If he was a worker would have wanted him docked, have seen the damage to an undocked tail! It aint good!!

Was told by the guy I got him from if your caught docking 'unlawfully' its a hefty fine grand and above was mentioned.

Docking is supposed to be done by a vet I think, if you can find one who will!!

Think people worry about the cutting of bone and nerves with conventional docking.

Never quite worked out why the lamb tail ring couldnt be adapted for the job that way no cuting at all!

One that always gets me is cropped ears thats just an appearance thing!!

Now that must feckin hurt!

Did once see a great dane in UK with all the wires and bandages still in place after the op [ which was done in USA!!!]

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all these comments it has convinced me to get my litter Patterdales docked when they are born. They are due on the 30th of this month. I have had a job finding a vet that will dock them as i want it done properly but finally found one that will do it. Mind you i need a doctor to put both eyes back in.

I need it doing properly as i`am a Kennel club accredited breeder for other dogs i own and breed.

I will attending a lurcher and terrier show at Stanley this weekend and was concerned when the advert says that puppies with docked tales wouldn`t be allowed to show.

dock

D'ya know - a lady I know of, quite prominent in the terrier world, shan't name her 'cos it wouldn't be fair, reckoned that people would stop, although I should say she's for docking herself, but she really thought most owners wouldn't bother docking after the lastest Animal Welfare Act came out!

Glad the consensus I'm getting proves her wrong.

Must be talking about R.A now LOL LOL..Most know her views on (working terriers)

This person hails from Cornwall... Doesn't have those initials either. Wouldn't be fair of me to name them though.

After reading all these comments it has convinced me to get my litter Patterdales docked when they are born. They are due on the 30th of this month. I have had a job finding a vet that will dock them as i want it done properly but finally found one that will do it. Mind you i need a doctor to put both eyes back in.

I need it doing properly as i`am a Kennel club accredited breeder for other dogs i own and breed.

I will attending a lurcher and terrier show at Stanley this weekend and was concerned when the advert says that puppies with docked tales wouldn`t be allowed to show.

I'm still on the fence on this one... (unless they are seriously working) Borders aren't docked and I just can't see why. Surely they can get in just as much bother with a tail... My patterdales tails have never come to any harm on a bit of ratting. But then the docked one looks prettier! Got it all the wrong way round haven't I...!!

my bitch has just dropped 4 pups and their booked to have their tails docked monday...gotta add that the vets were right arsey b*****ds about it all and i know already that they will be funny feckers on monday, but i will let them dock, get the paperwork and then tell em what wankers they are...would never consider not docking my pups...maybe the divide between tails or not will will separate the rosette hunters from the workers.......

my bitch has just dropped 4 pups and their booked to have their tails docked monday...gotta add that the vets were right arsey b*****ds about it all and i know already that they will be funny feckers on monday, but i will let them dock, get the paperwork and then tell em what wankers they are...would never consider not docking my pups...maybe the divide between tails or not will will separate the rosette hunters from the workers.......

I think you're right there!