what am I ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for taking care of the little jill Stubby. And for taking care of ferrets in generel.

Need more people like yourself around. *thumbs up*

I haven't had any rescue ferrets come in here. But sometimes, some ferret become to big a handfull for their owners. Then I take them in for a while and "take" all the bites.

A couple thow have stayed with me. Alma for example. (topic - for the love of albinos)

I've never understood the difference myself. I've got friends who work them but still regards them as pets.

IMO there's just good owners and bad.

The same for me.Mine are worked regularly in the winter so this summer they have,nt done a stroke :icon_eek: for me their"working pets" just like if i had a lurcher or terrier....

I've never understood the difference myself. I've got friends who work them but still regards them as pets.

IMO there's just good owners and bad.

The same for me.Mine are worked regularly in the winter so this summer they have,nt done a stroke :icon_eek: for me their"working pets" just like if i had a lurcher or terrier...

Definately spot on. You can not expect a ferret to respond after a summer if it has been left in a cage with out stimulation or excercise.

Lets be honest with ourselves. We all love our ferrets, if we dont love and respect them, we dont deserve the service they provide for us.

It's working pets in my house, all the way......

Matt

Edited by mattydski
Guest jojoamojo
A couple thow have stayed with me. Alma for example. (topic - for the love of albinos)

Your Alma has to be the whitest bino i have ever seen :D she is a smasher :clapper:

I can never understand why people think that ferrets can't be both workers and pets at the same time. All my ferrets are worked regularly.......mostly all year round on my rabbit contracts. Each and every one of mine is well handled and they are as much part of the working team as the lurchers.......they are all classed the same in my eyes, dogs and ferrets.......all much loved.... and i still get saddened when a loyal and dilligent little worker reaches the end of its days.It still makes me smile when i get the ferret boxes out for a day on the bunnies........and the ferrets are as excited as the dogs because they all know what the day entails.........plenty of rabbit action. But a ferret treated with kindness and care will repay you a thousand times over..........and so much more enjoyable than one that is left in a dark and dingy cage for months on end until the rabbit season starts again.

Rolfe.

Guest bigredbusa

anything i work be it dog or ferret get's treated as a worker , i learnt the hard way after losing workers in the field .

my rules :

dont get attached to working ferts or dogs , they are tools to get the job done , they are fed and well looked after for doing so.

if working dogs dont have them in the house to save 'pet' attachment.

harsh yes but saves all the bollox

anything that rely's on us to feed, provide water, clean, provide bedding, keep safe is a pet in my eyes..whether it is worked or not doesn't matter to me, I know people who give less time/affection to cats than what we give to ferrets..Just my opinion

I used to get alot of stick from folk on the way i keep my ferrets ,But i mainly just work them the winter months so you cannot expect a ferret that has just sat there in a hutch or cage all summer to be fit and healthy .So they are pampered if you want to call it that but they work hard for me so thats my payback to them ,and when they are retired they have a fun restful last few years of their lives

Guest jojoamojo

it doesnt take alot to make them happy, does it, mine love a box of shredded newspaper, it costs nothing and they have LOADS of fun bouncing round in it :)

I think the whole 'pet/worker' divide is alot to do with the fact that in the hands of 'pet only' owners the ferret would soon become a non working animal. I havnt a problem with showing the stinkers afection and enjoying their personalities while watching them play etc, but...... they are workers first and foremost and any decisions about breeding / feeding etc are based on that fact and so keeping the working ferret at a good working standard.

If people doubt what ive said, just look at alot of todays dog breeds, they became 'pet only' breeds and have suffered for it.

Just like to say i agree with most thats been said and its good to know that ferrets have value to alot of folks out there and arnt just a wasted tenner!

dont get attached to working ferts or dogs , they are tools to get the job done , they are fed and well looked after for doing so.

I'd wager your half-dozen workers still get more handling than a ferret belonging to a pet collector with 30-odd ferrets and a full-time job.

If people doubt what ive said, just look at alot of todays dog breeds, they became 'pet only' breeds and have suffered for it.

That's the 'Show' fraternity.

It's happening already with ferrets....deliberate breeding of genetically disadvantaged ferrets for show classes.