Hi,

Been taking Roe ( in season ) for a few years now with a Tikka 22/250 with no problems whatsoever. Great stopping power.

The good bit is now that I have been granted permission to take out a few out of season due to extensive sapling damage. It took a lot of persuasion and visits to the area. All set now to get out lamping with the beasties being no farther than 120 yds. but have been told that ( and I have complied) I must use a higher calibre rifle for night shooting. I do not have a problem with it as a 243 is now winging its way to my gun cabinet but I am curious to know others thoughts on the subject.

Just going back a few paces here. Hingindolie can you tell us who has given you permission to shoot deer out of season and at night??

I was under the impression that the landowner had to have taken all measures possible to prevent the deer from eating the tops off the trees before being granted permission to shoot out of season and at night time - sounds like he failed to put in high enough tree guards for these small deer.

Or is all that you have written all a wind up?!!

As the claim is to have culled Roe with a 22/250, then to be legal this must have been done in Scotland. Under the Deer (Scotland) Act 1996, the Deer Commission for Scotland is the only body that can grant authorisations for out of season or night culling; only those who are registered on the DCS "Fit and Competent Register" would be granted any such authorisation. Section 26(2) d of the above Act “any other person approved in writing by the Commission is a fit and competent person for the purpose.â€

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no probs with it at winter time as i have done nightshooting of deer when cover is low & it was buck/doe stag/hind but at this time of year i find it strange you get a licence to shoot does its a no,no for me.

I cant even see the DCS or scottish FC allowing does to be shot until season then they will grant an open licence for nightshooting on all deer in wood. The 22.250 is a great cal with correct bullets iv shot hundereds with mine but have a 25/06 aswell which is good for nightshooting but you really need to be a very good shot & experianced to do this type of work.

Guest basil46
Personally i think the whole idea stinks. If the deer are doing prolific damage, then they must be showing themselves in the daytime, as for shooting a doe when she is caring for her young, well that is incomprehensible.

basil.

basil...you have to open your mind to the MAJOR difference between VERMIN CONTROL (As defined by man) and licenced in these circumstances: and sport. These are 2 very different things and must not be confused....nobody wants to cause deliberate suffering to any animal but if control is required then the young go as well; as humanely as possible!!

I still don`t agree with it. Someone didn`t do their planning very well. If the deer numbers were out of control, why plant a load of saplings which surely he must of known would attract the deer. The deer have only become a pest because of someone elses ignorance.

basil.

Personally i think the whole idea stinks. If the deer are doing prolific damage, then they must be showing themselves in the daytime, as for shooting a doe when she is caring for her young, well that is incomprehensible.

basil.

basil...you have to open your mind to the MAJOR difference between VERMIN CONTROL (As defined by man) and licenced in these circumstances: and sport. These are 2 very different things and must not be confused....nobody wants to cause deliberate suffering to any animal but if control is required then the young go as well; as humanely as possible!!

I still don`t agree with it. Someone didn`t do their planning very well. If the deer numbers were out of control, why plant a load of saplings which surely he must of known would attract the deer. The deer have only become a pest because of someone elses ignorance.

basil.

basil.....I would tend to agree with some of this as well...BUT ..... I go back to my original post.....which one or two other people also seem to have picked up on, and to which I still wait a response from the author of this post>>>>>

What country are you in??

22-250 will kill a Roe easily in any country but is still not legal in England and Wales.

What is the B******t about bigger calibres at night and what rational has been suggested for this.

Do you have a licence for ..

Night shooting?

Out of season shooting?

Who granted it???

Yours curiously.....

basil.

basil.

basil.....I would tend to agree with some of this as well...BUT ..... I go back to my original post.....which one or two other people also seem to have picked up on, and to which I still wait a response from the author of this post>>>>>

22-250 will kill a Roe easily in any country but is still not legal in England and Wales.

What is the B******t about bigger calibres at night and what rational has been suggested for this.

Night shooting?

Out of season shooting?

Who granted it???

Yours curiously.....

I wouldn't hold your breath mate........

Guest basil46

basil.

basil.

Night shooting?

Out of season shooting?

Who granted it???

Yours curiously.....

Look on his profile at what his previous thread was.................

basil.

basil.

basil.

Night shooting?

Out of season shooting?

Who granted it???

Yours curiously.....

Look on his profile at what his previous thread was.................

basil.

Oh yeah, I remember that other one. Something's not quite right here..... :hmm:

av also got a tika t3 mate the stainless varmint, i use it mostly for fox's but have shot quite a lot of roe with it aswell, if your getting a 243 then the problems solved, but iv took deer further than 120 yards with mine and theres been no suffering, a lot of people dont like the 22/250 for roe because the bullets so fast they say too fast for roe ive heard people say its only a vermin calibre personally through experience with my rifle i would say its fine for roe sometimes you get a little 10 or 15 yard ardrenalin run but iv had this happen to me shooting red deer with a 270 so doesnt mean anything i dont think (bullets were perfectly placed), iv had roe drop like a stone and some an ardrenalin toddle with the 22/250 mate at a few distances so personally i wouldnt say 120 yards is too far for a 22/250 as long as you know your rifle and your a good shot then in my opinion the distance is really up to you.

I agree that the 22/250 is a great all rounder and for Roe its been brilliant for me but the law tells me I have to go up to 243 for night shooting. I dont mind in the slightest.

Hi,

Been taking Roe ( in season ) for a few years now with a Tikka 22/250 with no problems whatsoever. Great stopping power.

The good bit is now that I have been granted permission to take out a few out of season due to extensive sapling damage. It took a lot of persuasion and visits to the area. All set now to get out lamping with the beasties being no farther than 120 yds. but have been told that ( and I have complied) I must use a higher calibre rifle for night shooting. I do not have a problem with it as a 243 is now winging its way to my gun cabinet but I am curious to know others thoughts on the subject.

Night shooting?

Out of season shooting?

Who granted it???

Yours curiously..... :thumbs:

Sorry mate but its law here in Scotland. The local firearms officer was present at a meeting with landowner plus a member of the forestry commision. everything went well and the only question that came up was about night shooting and the legal requirement for a higher calibre. not a problem either as I got the grant for the 243 no probs.

Hi,

Just going back a few paces here. Hingindolie can you tell us who has given you permission to shoot deer out of season and at night??

I was under the impression that the landowner had to have taken all measures possible to prevent the deer from eating the tops off the trees before being granted permission to shoot out of season and at night time - sounds like he failed to put in high enough tree guards for these small deer.

Or is all that you have written all a wind up?!!

No not at all. The land is bordered by M.O.D. land which is seething with deer as no-one is allowed near the place with a gun. The landowner has constantly maintained his border fencing and the Roe still manage to get in. The sapling guards are only there for early growth ( plastic shroud app. 18" high ) and this is the first time such a high number of trees have been planted. Other forms of control are being discussed for the long term.

[sorry mate but its law here in Scotland. The local firearms officer was present at a meeting with landowner plus a member of the forestry commision. everything went well and the only question that came up was about night shooting and the legal requirement for a higher calibre. not a problem either as I got the grant for the 243 no probs.

So you haven't bothered to apply for authorisation from the DCS? Until the DCS gives you the ok; you are breaking the law. 243 or not would make sod all difference, if the DSC have not authorised you to cull out of season/at night then whatever your local FEO, landowner or FC rep agrees upon is NOT legal! Keep it safe and legal.

basil.

basil.

Sorry but the M.O.D. are the reason that the Roe have over populated the area. Been in touch with them on several occaisions but nobody has ever been to shoot on this land. Two golf courses surround the area and have to spend a fortune on fencing and maintenance but the beggars still get through.