Hedge Trimmers (Petrol) What Ye Reckon?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Something to make me proud :laugh:

What it is, see; I have about twenty five yards of Cottoneaster hedge. That's all. I don't in the least mind going at it with my shears but, despite string lines and all sorts; I tend to rather butcher it :icon_redface:

Hedge Trimmer? If I can walk a straight line, I can sort it out, surely? And I want a petrol one because I don't want electrical cables, Dogs, me and sharp things mixing. I also get to start it up with a satisfying jerk and then half the neighbourhood will hear I'm doing something manly! Round here, the buzz of a small engine is like the howling of wolves. We hear it, or do it, and are comforted. Somewhere, out there, a neighbour is doing his toil. A gentle 'snikker, snikker' somehow just wouldn't cut it :rofl:

So, I started sniffing about and, yeppers; They can be had for a little over a ton in yo yo's. Of course, Everyone says Sthil. But that's the sort of Beast a man would have if he trimmed hedges all day, every day, rain or shine, all year! I have under thirty yards of sort, thin, cottoneaster to give a hair cut to.

Having a 'Husk' chain saw, I looked at them. Not exactly the Sthil, but a good next rung down. They Start at 460 Yo's!!! :icon_eek: FFS! I won't live long enough to cut enough cottoneaster to justify That! Even if money were no object, it'd be like going shopping in a tank! Completely over the top.

I wouldn't buy chinese, if it had free fried rice and prawn crackers with it. But No Way am I interested in a Husk at 4 1/2 + ! Let's say, two ton yo yo max. Something to cut vegetative hair and, if it can manage it, maybe a little bit more.

What ye reckon?

Alright Fella, do you have a B&Q near you. They do an own brand type of 2 stroke hedge cutter its about £100 and with a guarentee. I think its probably Chinese but they have nearly got it right, feck me they make enough of them.

'Morning Ditch, got a Ryobi 30cc Strimmer/Brushcutter with 28" Hedge Trimmmer adapter about a year ago from Screwfix Direct. £149.99 delivered within 2 weeks. Good kit, still going strong after a year with no service and a numpty like me using it!

Don't know if you can get them delivered over there and how much it would cost in Urines, but I'm chuffed with it. HTH, cheers, D.

'Morning Ditch, got a Ryobi 30cc Strimmer/Brushcutter with 28" Hedge Trimmmer adapter about a year ago from Screwfix Direct. £149.99 delivered within 2 weeks. Good kit, still going strong after a year with no service and a numpty like me using it!

Don't know if you can get them delivered over there and how much it would cost in Urines, but I'm chuffed with it. HTH, cheers, D.

I would recomend this too, I got one off fleebay last year, and I'd say its a fab buy and all the attachments are good too. I had the chain pruner, brush cutter, strimmer and hedge trimmer for 174.95 - and that was the 30cc one too.

Gets through my privit no probs :thumbs:

B&Q if you can ditch shitter,if it does break within the year, theyre brilliant at taking things back ,i had a chainsaw from them, knackered it ,cutting railway sleepers,feck theyre hard work,then took it back with the receipt ,swapped it, no problem at all.I dont know if its any good to ya, but i always run the string line, then spray some paint down the line then wrap youre line back up ,perfect marker,no cuttin string or fouling up youre trimmers. :drink:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:) Okie doe, peeps. Ryobi seems well enough thought of then? I'd seen one somewhere, might have been an Irish source too. I'll keep my eye out for one of those then. And, being as I just want the straight Hedge Trimmer, maybe I can find a more basic model and trim the price down too, eh? ;)

Can't rush out and look for one just yet, but I'll do a spot of window shopping next time I'm in town and see what they have there. I saw a pair in one shop yesterday. " Star " or something - bound to be chinks. F*ck that! But that place, I've noticed, will sell ye a Lot of cheap and chinky. I'll see what Joe has, down the Creamery. Failing that, we have a whack off great Home Base in the big town. They'd probably have a huge range of the damn things to choose from. That'd be fun.

Cheers for the input :)

Hello!

Don’t want to piss on your parade but….Robi are Chinese also! Personally I haven’t got a problem with them. In fact top tip some of Husky’s old moulds were sold to a Chinese tool maker can’t say if they make hedge cutters but there saws are spot on! You can pick a saw up off ebay for £120. have a look and see if you can source a hedge cutter by the same dudes.

Something to make me proud :laugh:

What it is, see; I have about twenty five yards of Cottoneaster hedge. That's all. I don't in the least mind going at it with my shears but, despite string lines and all sorts; I tend to rather butcher it :icon_redface:

Hedge Trimmer? If I can walk a straight line, I can sort it out, surely? And I want a petrol one because I don't want electrical cables, Dogs, me and sharp things mixing. I also get to start it up with a satisfying jerk and then half the neighbourhood will hear I'm doing something manly! Round here, the buzz of a small engine is like the howling of wolves. We hear it, or do it, and are comforted. Somewhere, out there, a neighbour is doing his toil. A gentle 'snikker, snikker' somehow just wouldn't cut it :rofl:

So, I started sniffing about and, yeppers; They can be had for a little over a ton in yo yo's. Of course, Everyone says Sthil. But that's the sort of Beast a man would have if he trimmed hedges all day, every day, rain or shine, all year! I have under thirty yards of sort, thin, cottoneaster to give a hair cut to.

Having a 'Husk' chain saw, I looked at them. Not exactly the Sthil, but a good next rung down. They Start at 460 Yo's!!! :icon_eek: FFS! I won't live long enough to cut enough cottoneaster to justify That! Even if money were no object, it'd be like going shopping in a tank! Completely over the top.

I wouldn't buy chinese, if it had free fried rice and prawn crackers with it. But No Way am I interested in a Husk at 4 1/2 + ! Let's say, two ton yo yo max. Something to cut vegetative hair and, if it can manage it, maybe a little bit more.

What ye reckon?

I had a stihl hedgecutter, one that you could turn the handle round for different angles. Brilliant machine cut through the toughest hawthorn hedge. like butter. Unfortunately, while my wife and I were indoors on a very windy stormy night in March last year, reading for Hunting life forum. Some to rags came and visited our garden, cut through five padlocks and made away with our beloved huskvarna chainsaw and my few month old stihl hedgecutter. we were insured but in the end we bought an electric cheap one, under £20 so if they want this one they can have it. Although I do miss my stihl. As they say you get what you pay for.

Kawasaki make some really good gardening stuff, I have used there strimmers/brushcutters and hedge trimmers and they are very good. I havent used much Husky stuff but I would rate the Kawasaki on par or even over the Stihls I have used. Cheaper too.

No doubt Stihl and Husky make very good stuff but people tend to get stuck with them as if they are the only maker of decent gear around.

Also bare in mind the weight of the things, after a while of throwing a 35" bar hedge trimmer around it feels like your arms are going to fall off lol.

All the gear I use at the moment is from work but I am starting to buy some stuff of my own so I can do gardening and apart from the chainsaw I will be getting mostly kawasaki.

HJ :victory:

Ryobi hedge-cutter just over £2oo very good. Adjustable angle of handle dangle,easy to start ,robust,good wide teeth for bigger twigs but keen enough for fine stuff .I've had one three years. My tree surgeon mate uses one proffesionally.Rates it better than Stihl . Kawasaki stuff is great ,especially the older more powerfull( but possiblyless health n safety orientated) gear. Would'nt touch the cheaper Ryobi chainsaws though.The chain brakes have a habit of overheating ,melting the casing and basicly wasting the saw. I've had two go like this . "Why the f*ck did you buy another one if the first melted on you ?",I hear you quite reasonably ask. Answer I did'nt buy it.The first went under g/tee,the second was a replacement! Oh, n nothing "new"from auctions.Why is a new ,boxed Husky or whatever being sold at auction,,without warrenty obviously? Probably returned or second quality stuff .

Edited by comanche