• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

prob the same plus ken bucannan and an amature from way back some may have heard or read about him he was called dick mctaggart.

Certainly a strong fighting family from glasgow or aberdeen was it i forget now,something like 10 brothers i believe !.....i was just a nipper but i know he won a fair few aba titles......think he won either olympic or commonwealth gold in the 60,s probably commonwealth.....very good amateur coach in his later years ended up with an mbe if im not mistaken.

Edited by gnasher16
I rather like Barry McGuigan. (before his tv career). It was when i fisrt started to watch boxing he was at his prime, so i remeber him for that reason, plus the passion he showed..And me mum liked him.

:boxing:

Matt-

now whatch me get slated from the real fight fans

:(

used to enjoy watching him too

and his dad used to get in the ring and sing "Danny Boy" before his fights

Guest ROOSTER

yes gnasher he won gold in the 56 olympics and bronze in the 60olympics i was just a little kid but my dad was a fight fan and whenever their was a show usually in the local town hall he would go and as i got a little older i also went and saw this guy.at the time i saw him his career was all but over but he was a legend in our house so seeing him in the ring with me sat next to my dad is a memory i cherish. i think he won five aba's

Guest bezza

The thing about Mctaggart was he fought throughout his career with sight in only one eye! Can you imagine what a handicap that must have been! Because he had this problem he was not allowed to fight professionally. Was he not a Dundee lad?

The Randolph Turpin story was a very sad affair,and as already pointed out it wasn't helped by the "hangers on" Randolph did the unthinkable and beat the great sugar Ray Robinson,although he was to lose to Robinson in a rematch.Randolph was talked into some very risky business deals that ultimately led to huge debts, serious depression.and suicide at the age of just 37. He could of been one of the greats of boxing R.I.P Randolph.

Got to say my favourite boxer was me :D although i decided to retire when i was asked to put adverts on the soles of my boots. :clapper::clapper:

For me its got to be Ali and Leonard,great skill,great speed,good punchers,and great thinkers.A british fighter i did think would win a world title was Errol Christie.I sparred with Errol in the early eighties,and really did think he'd become a world champion,he had great hand speed,and power in both hands,but then he ran into Mark Kaylor.At the time many thought Errol would beat Kaylor easily and go on to bigger and better things,but Kaylor hadn't read the script,and did a number on Christie.Christie had talent and heart in abundance,but his chin was suspect,and as with many fighters his punch resistance seemed to lessen after his first loss.

The thing about Mctaggart was he fought throughout his career with sight in only one eye! Can you imagine what a handicap that must have been! Because he had this problem he was not allowed to fight professionally. Was he not a Dundee lad?

Is that right,i didnt know that....some achievement !....was chatting to somebody this morning about him,indeed mctaggart was from dundee,i was also told two of his aba finals were wins over none other than larry o connell who of course later became a top british referee......

As for the kaylor/christie fight bill speaks of......23 years ago and i remember it like it was yesterday,very rarely does a grudge match live up to expectations....but this one did.....still one of the best atmospheres ive ever seen at a fight.....wembley arena packed with 90 % west ham fans,christie never stood a chance :D .....thats a decent name to have shared a ring with bill....i could never understand why it was billed as east london versus north london when christie was from the midlands !

and not forgetting the small welshman with the heart of a lion

Johnny Owen :big_boss:

yes , timjim , great little fighter , my choice , colin jones , some welterweight , but the greatest of them all

ali

Edited by dennned
as thrs a few boxing fans on here -who was /is your favourite boxer . i was a fan of alan minter , tony sibson, nigal benn , used to follow the yorskhire hunter paul ingle , most recent fighter i`m watching is carl froch . gotta say sibbo was my favourite . :boxing:

didn't paul ingle write a book called poachers pie? or was it ted i cant remember :icon_redface: