City Foxes V's Countryside Foxes

Thought I'd ask the question as a comment was made about City Foxes! is there a difference to the countryside version and if so when exactly does a fox become a "city" fox and how doe's say a town fox get to become a city fox. Are they easier than their country cousins to hunt? :hmm:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd ask the question as a comment was made about City Foxes! is there a difference to the countryside version and if so when exactly does a fox become a "city" fox and how doe's say a town fox get to become a city fox. Are they easier than their country cousins to hunt? :hmm:

country foxes are a bit bigger and alot smarter than ther townie cousins as the thick city 1's end up on the corner of a road most of the time

country foxes are a bit bigger and alot smarter than ther townie cousins as the thick city 1's end up on the corner of a road most of the time

i agree it is much harder getting country fox citie fox are much more dosile

A city/town fox will be used to being in proximity to humans & barking dogs.

There's one that comes into my estate in the early hours, and I've got within about 10ft of it without it so much as batting an eyelid.

Now, say some do gooder from the RSPCA/whatever, decides to dump Mr. Fox in the countryside, back to his 'natural' habitat. He's used to car headlights, so the beam of a lamp isn't going to bother him too much, nor is the whiff off human or dog being carried on the wind. To him, those things probably signal food rather than danger.

When people talk about city foxes, they generally mean relocated ones. So in answer to your question, yes, city foxes ARE easier to hunt. (Well until the local numties have peppered his arse with .22 rf subs, from 100+ yards! :laugh:)

Are they easier to hunt? I think you would find it difficult to legally hunt an urban fox............

Yeah especially when they dont stop at a red light. :tongue2: No experience of the city dwellers but the urban versions dont take long to get the message after they've been lamped. And as we press further and further in the countryside it wont be long before theyre all urban. Was driving through a large council estate in Glasgow last week about 11.30pm and a big Roe Deer sauntered across the road like it didn't have a care in the world

Guest basil46

The Shooting Times did a feature on urban foxes some time ago. A farmer shot fourteen in one lamping session on his land. I think he stated that there was a group of foxes in one field and when he shot one, the rest stood about in bewilderment. On examination most had been operated on in one way or another and the topic was about if it was legal to put an urban fox into the wild as an urban fox has no hunting instincts, its prey was a bin liner with left over food in it. I also think it was questioned as to wether certain animal charities could be prosecuted for cruelty when an urban fox is run over in a town then, when recovered being released into the countryside.

basil.

Urban foxes were a lot easier to hunt before the ban,they come in like a rocket when called mostly,I once had to put out my foot as a physical deterent when one hared in to the call,we once got 5 in 2 hours,never lamped a full night in the city but I think it would be easy to get a decent bag,I know guys from the north-east who consider a drive from Sunderland to London worthwhile just to lamp fox,because before the ban they KNEW they were guaranteed a decent nights sport. ;)

Urban foxes were a lot easier to hunt before the ban,they come in like a rocket when called mostly,I once had to put out my foot as a physical deterent when one hared in to the call,we once got 5 in 2 hours,never lamped a full night in the city but I think it would be easy to get a decent bag,I know guys from the north-east who consider a drive from Sunderland to London worthwhile just to lamp fox,because before the ban they KNEW they were guaranteed a decent nights sport. ;)

Like I said in my experience they dont take long to adapt to a lamp or your call...In the past I've had country ones come in just as quick as these "urban" ones. At what point do they cease to be urban? Most of the estates round here border countryside so I get confused :cry:

The Shooting Times did a feature on urban foxes some time ago. A farmer shot fourteen in one lamping session on his land. I think he stated that there was a group of foxes in one field and when he shot one, the rest stood about in bewilderment. On examination most had been operated on in one way or another and the topic was about if it was legal to put an urban fox into the wild as an urban fox has no hunting instincts, its prey was a bin liner with left over food in it. I also think it was questioned as to wether certain animal charities could be prosecuted for cruelty when an urban fox is run over in a town then, when recovered being released into the countryside.

basil.

So were these foxes released back into the wild then?. Not being funny but this is not what I mean it seems to me a distinction is being made between foxes that life in or around the outskirts of city's or towns to one's that live exclusively in the countryside. I'm just wondering how this came about. It seems to me that foxes that have relocated for want of a better word are being set loose in areas that theyre not familiar with which might explain why they were such easy targets for that farmer. The point I'm trying to get to is foxes that have adapted to living near or around towns. city's etc people are saying they are easier to catch

Like I said in my experience they dont take long to adapt to a lamp or your call...In the past I've had country ones come in just as quick as these "urban" ones. At what point do they cease to be urban? Most of the estates round here border countryside so I get confused :cry:

up here they squeak in , but we went down south last year , as i lived there for a bit and when i moved back up here we had a due down , and the foxes there roamed the streets ect , dont think have ever seen a rabbit in there life , therfore when we tried to squeak them , was pointless , they just wasnt intrested ,

That may just be a case of having been lamped before and managing to escape...as I've said they dont take long to adapt I think that you would find this the case where there are rabbits and the fox has been lamped before.

Guest SHOT

poor pictures taken around 6 am a couple of weeks back local park.fox took one look at me and the dog then just turned his head not a care,the place is heaving with them

there never far from cover though.

cant say ive noticed a difference in size..

Pic096.jpg

Pic097.jpg

my lad lives and works in london...............he sees a fox nearly every day..!!!

he was saying that they are more grey than red ( as they are up here).

evolution.??????............grey to blend in with the concrete/tarmac ???

well, why are they not green in their natural environment???

i personally think its more down to diet than surroundings.

anyone else any thoughts??

regards

sean

up here they squeak in , but we went down south last year , as i lived there for a bit and when i moved back up here we had a due down , and the foxes there roamed the streets ect , dont think have ever seen a rabbit in there life , therfore when we tried to squeak them , was pointless , they just wasnt intrested ,

Not in London mate,forget "squeaking was pointless" had countless fox in London,and they DID come in,i have fox in the street every night,saw a few last night,they are genuine townies :victory: