Big Problem:>>>>>>>>>

Well my wee jill just had kits and ive just noticed she has what seems to be mites or something its not ticks but are around 2mm long and red in colour and crawl on her and there are black bits around her neck, can i treat her for it or would it harm the kits? heres some pics

theres around 11 or so and she still looks big maybe have some more......

post-10551-1212666494_thumb.jpg

Edited by wabbithunter_15

id just pull the ticks from the mother wont do any harm and treat her when she stops feeding them.nice big litter mine had 8 well done :thumbs:

you must have read it wrong mate, i said its "not" ticks but maybe sumthing else ..... they seem to crawl over her dont know what they are...

Guest smashygadge
id just pull the ticks from the mother wont do any harm and treat her when she stops feeding them.nice big litter mine had 8 well done :thumbs:

you must have read it wrong mate, i said its "not" ticks but maybe sumthing else ..... they seem to crawl over her dont know what they are...

well the black bits around the neck ive had that before and just pulled them out,the crawly things i couldnt say not come across them,are you feeding dry food :thumbs:

Guest smashygadge

just looked into it mate and they are more than likley fleas of which they get at this time off year and with the litter too.also the black spots are flea resedue and the fleas vary in colour from red to brown to black so may explain it :thumbs: i wouldnt worry too much and sorry for my first comment :thumbs:

sounds like fleas and the black bits as you call them could be flea feases ,the easiest way to tell is get some black bits and put them on a wet piece of kitchen roll if the turn red then its dried blood from the fleas.i dont think you could treat her with anything with the kits being so you ,its going to be a flea comb and cracking them between your nails

Edited by sue

if your saying they are "red" it could be red mite, these are often associated with poultry of pet bird keeping, they live in cracks and crevices in wood, come out, feed on blood from the host, then go back to there cracks etc, you could try moving her and the kitts to a fresh hutch, new bedding etc, or if thats not acceptable, try without disturbing her too much, to give the cage/court a really good clean, bedding/sawdust etc, you probably wont eradicate them completly at this stage, but reducing numbers will help, as not good for the kitts to have them on them,

not trying to knock anyones ferret keeping abilities here, but it shows how on top of a situation you have to be, courts/cages etc should be inspected regularly and more so before birth of a litter, so this sort of thing can be dealt with at an early stage

I would NOT recomend you spray her with anything, as this could be harmful to the kitts,

a steam type cleaner works well on cracks/crevices

if your saying they are "red" it could be red mite, these are often associated with poultry of pet bird keeping, they live in cracks and crevices in wood, come out, feed on blood from the host, then go back to there cracks etc, you could try moving her and the kitts to a fresh hutch, new bedding etc, or if thats not acceptable, try without disturbing her too much, to give the cage/court a really good clean, bedding/sawdust etc, you probably wont eradicate them completly at this stage, but reducing numbers will help, as not good for the kitts to have them on them,

not trying to knock anyones ferret keeping abilities here, but it shows how on top of a situation you have to be, courts/cages etc should be inspected regularly and more so before birth of a litter, so this sort of thing can be dealt with at an early stage

I would NOT recomend you spray her with anything, as this could be harmful to the kitts,

a steam type cleaner works well on cracks/crevices

They do sound like RED SPIDER MITES

thanks for all your great advice i didnt know if there was a spray i could buy that wouldnt harm the kits but as for now il leave it and maybe when the mum calms down i can give her a wash and go over her with the flea comb. i cleaned out all the main part of the hutch but i dont know what else i can do at this moment... great advice from all of you! thanks lads

when the kits are old enough move them out of the hutch and spray it down with duramitex .... it will kill EVERY bug in the hutch ..........

Red mite attack cage birds at knight so i doubt it is that .Just my opinion mate what I would do is take the mother away while you change the bedding in the nest box,while the nest box is empty spray all the edges of the nest box with Duramitex (great stuff) or front line and replace the bedding with shredded paper.When kits are independent at about 8 weeks front line the lot.If in the mean time if it gets bad see a vet.Hope it helps P1. :icon_eek: