Well this morning all was well in my poultry pen.... Came home this avo at 4:00pm and the little lad came in screaching saying there was two ducks dead in the pond...

Strange I thought, very strange! Got out there and fished the female Muscoveys out, and saw the marks round thier necks. Then looked down the pen (which is huge) to see 3 more dead adult ducks, and a few scatterd 6 week old ducklings.

The fox must have got stuck in the pen, it had been trying to dig out under in several places, but had the time to bury 4 ducklings, the :censored:

One of the adult birds was still warm.... cant tell you how gutted i am. Kids are sooooo upset, as they saw me find the first couple of ducklings. :( No chickens touched amazingly, he just went for the easy prey.

Ive got one lavendar muscovey thats injured round the neck, but I'm going to give her a chance.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its soul destroying to witness the aftermath of such an attack........I have been called out many times to deal with the culprits responsible for such carnage be they fox or mink......and it isn't easy dealing with distraught customers be they adults or children. All i can say is.........the fox will return in a very short while........and there should be a snare, cage trap or gun waiting for it.. Good luck .........and I hope you can sort the problem out before considering restocking.

Rolfe.

Its soul destroying to witness the aftermath of such an attack........I have been called out many times to deal with the culprits responsible for such carnage be they fox or mink......and it isn't easy dealing with distraught customers be they adults or children. All i can say is.........the fox will return in a very short while........and there should be a snare, cage trap or gun waiting for it.. Good luck .........and I hope you can sort the problem out before considering restocking.

Rolfe.

Measures have been taken, so fingers crossed we'll get a result.... The goslings that are coming tomorrow will go straight into the brooder box, so hopefully the problem will be sorted by the time they go out.... Still cant quite get over the enormity of it! Shocking! :icon_eek:

None of the snares have moved this morning, but the bloody thing has started to dig in a different place! :censored:

Unfortunatley our poultry pen borders an elderly persons over grown orchard, and its totally impenetrable in most places, feels like I might be fighting a loosing battle :no:

My brother is going to bring the live cage trap over later to give that a go too.

The injured lavender is still alive this morning, but looking very sorry for herself, I'll give her a couple more days In the shed to recouperate, and see how she goes from there.

None of the snares have moved this morning, but the bloody thing has started to dig in a different place! :censored:

Unfortunatley our poultry pen borders an elderly persons over grown orchard, and its totally impenetrable in most places, feels like I might be fighting a loosing battle :no:

My brother is going to bring the live cage trap over later to give that a go too.

The injured lavender is still alive this morning, but looking very sorry for herself, I'll give her a couple more days In the shed to recouperate, and see how she goes from there.

See if you can find where the fox comes in from BEFORE it reaches the pen.......if it is coming from next doors orchard it may well be a better place to place a wire to catch him. Usually they will approach using the same route (run) every time.

Rolfe.

Folk wont believe the damage a fox does and they will come back every day after they have found a easy meal best of luck hope you catch it

that what makes it worst, its not even a meal as they kill for the fun of it, then leave them there, if they were killing and feeding themselves/young etc, you'd feel it was the way of the world, but to kill and leave :thumbdown:

as an alternative, dunno if anyone's tried it, but its working in our garden, when the neighbours aint looking, piss around the perimeter of your garden, it stopped our local fox from coming in, correction, it comes in, but wont go anywhere near my scent marking area's (poultry/ferrets)

Folk wont believe the damage a fox does and they will come back every day after they have found a easy meal best of luck hope you catch it

that what makes it worst, its not even a meal as they kill for the fun of it, then leave them there, if they were killing and feeding themselves/young etc, you'd feel it was the way of the world, but to kill and leave :thumbdown:

as an alternative, dunno if anyone's tried it, but its working in our garden, when the neighbours aint looking, piss around the perimeter of your garden, it stopped our local fox from coming in, correction, it comes in, but wont go anywhere near my scent marking area's (poultry/ferrets)

Worth a try if we dont get it!! Might get the other half to oblige, as there's too many nettles around for my liking lol, its ok for you men!

i've told my husband that but he wont believe me..... instead i walk the male bulldog around the property line, seems to be working anyway. fingers crossed, knocking on wood, we havent lost anything to a predator yet in the two and a half years we've been doing this.. just a few eggs..

and that is something i dont understand..... most wild predators (so they say!) kill for food only. and they dont waste their food..... but obviously thats not always true. a friend of mine witnessed otters in the stream behind his house catching fish, playing them to pieces - not eating them- then go after more fish to do the same. i was mad at him for trying to kill the otter because i didnt believe him.

maybe its a young fox? i have heard of young coyotes or wolves seeing sheep for the first time and just going ballistic on them because they could....

i know dogs will kill for the hell of it. when my mom was a kid living on her family's farm they were gone the whole day and came home to find every bird on their property murdered, plus their goat, and several rabbits pulled from their hutches and just left there. was done by a pack of neighbourhood dogs that were roaming through....

Edited by BlueCoyote
Guest little_lloyd

:clapper:Bollox,,, Stubbs,, Foxes these days are more used to human activity , smells , etc,, Piss around all you like mate,, It has never stopped a fox at our chicken house or pens.

i've told my husband that but he wont believe me..... instead i walk the male bulldog around the property line, seems to be working anyway. fingers crossed, knocking on wood, we havent lost anything to a predator yet in the two and a half years we've been doing this.. just a few eggs..

and that is something i dont understand..... most wild predators (so they say!) kill for food only. and they dont waste their food..... but obviously thats not always true. a friend of mine witnessed otters in the stream behind his house catching fish, playing them to pieces - not eating them- then go after more fish to do the same. i was mad at him for trying to kill the otter because i didnt believe him.

maybe its a young fox? i have heard of young coyotes or wolves seeing sheep for the first time and just going ballistic on them because they could....

i know dogs will kill for the hell of it. when my mom was a kid living on her family's farm they were gone the whole day and came home to find every bird on their property murdered, plus their goat, and several rabbits pulled from their hutches and just left there. was done by a pack of neighbourhood dogs that were roaming through....

A fox does it to give himself an easy meal for the rest of the week. He kills every thing in site so that he can come back and take his pick at his leisure.

If you think about it, if a fox came across a flock of wild birds one night & got himself a meal, what's to say if he came back the next night, that the flock would still be in the same place?

Better to kill all he can, so they're not going anywhere, and he can come and go as he pleases.

Guest WILF
Hope you get the b*stard Tis.

And I hope you dont........any mother would do the same to feed her young.

It may help the kiddys if you explain why the fox did it :thumbs: