bee hive

Guest markbrick1

ive built a cottage on the farm and last wk a bee swarm moved in,its the honey bees how do i get rid,its in the gable under the fascia,mark

If it is Honey Bees then your best bet is to contact your local Beekeepers association. Someone will want them this time of year.

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/local_associations_about_us.php

Get a bee keeper in as they will want the swarm as so many hives are dying with viola mite.

failing that light a bit of newspaper tightly wrapped up in your hand and smoke them out........................... :gunsmilie:

Get a bee keeper in as they will want the swarm as so many hives are dying with viola mite.

failing that light a bit of newspaper tightly wrapped up in your hand and smoke them out........................... :gunsmilie:

As everybody says, get in a beekeeper, They will collect the swarm if it is accessable. If not then there is a chance the swarm will move on itself.

If it cant be removed and does not move then you can have it destroyed, This must be an absolute last resort!!!!!

The mite is called Varroa. This isnt really a cause for the demise of the honey-bee. :thumbs:

Tropilaelaps is another mite (asian) This hasnt been found in the uk yet

European Foul brood disease is the problem.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Fail to see what the fuss is all about. I've had enough people running to me to have bees nests wiped out. I just expain that they're harmless and benign little things who're doing the area a power of good. I have bees living in my ditch here. Never bothered me at all.

Most see sense. One or two pull the old, " I'm allergic. " card. Those types I just walk away from. Wishing a plaque of rats and a meeting with Rentokill on.

Guest markbrick1
Fail to see what the fuss is all about. I've had enough people running to me to have bees nests wiped out. I just expain that they're harmless and benign little things who're doing the area a power of good. I have bees living in my ditch here. Never bothered me at all.

Most see sense. One or two pull the old, " I'm allergic. " card. Those types I just walk away from. Wishing a plaque of rats and a meeting with Rentokill on.

problem is ditch there right on top of my grandaughters room all that is seperaing her from them is 12.5mm of plasterboard and i dont want em there theres no attic in souch there approx 1 metre from her cot i agree in what you said but they got to go,mark

As everybody says, get in a beekeeper, They will collect the swarm if it is accessable. If not then there is a chance the swarm will move on itself.

If it cant be removed and does not move then you can have it destroyed, This must be an absolute last resort!!!!!

The mite is called Varroa. This isnt really a cause for the demise of the honey-bee. :thumbs:

Tropilaelaps is another mite (asian) This hasnt been found in the uk yet

European Foul brood disease is the problem.

Good info there mate, my friend is only getting into bee-keeping and this is how we thought varroa {viola} is spelt due to the pronuncation here

i know you get stuff to put in with the bees come september to kill the varro mite but what do you do about the european foul brood disease?

any info would be great.

Slightly different things Ditchy a colony of bumble bees 200 ish in a full colony and 60 -80 thousand in a honey bee colony , most of them arnt interested in human activity around them, but in a colony of 60 to 80 thousand you only need 1 to be 'pissed off' and you find yourself with a sting.

over the years get 1 or 2 stings a week you can become intolerant to the venim .

Hi Snap shot. There are two types of foul brood disease, European and American. Neither have anything to do with geographical relation and both are found in the uk. AFB is considerably more destructive.

It is a legal requirement to notify the central science laboratory (CSL) or relevant government agriculture dept, if you suspect you may have either AFB or EFB.

Other pests include Verroa, Tropilaelaps and the small hive beetle which can cause some damage and is a serious new threat to apiculture. Less serious pests can include rodents and wax moths.

Good husbandry and keeping your colonies strong and healthy is the key. Make sure at lean times you supply them with enough food to make sure they dont go robbing and therefore lowering the risk of contracting a disease elsewhere.

There is a chance you can get foul brood at any time so other than keeping your colony healthy and clean, there isnt much else that can be done. The control of the disease is in early identification within your hive/s.

Get yourself on a bee-keeping course to teach you the basics and for a bit of hands on. There is far too much to explain in a simple post like this. There are helpfull leaflets available from defra/csl. Pm me if you get stuck or require a little more direction :thumbs:

Hi Snap shot. There are two types of foul brood disease, European and American. Neither have anything to do with geographical relation and both are found in the uk. AFB is considerably more destructive.

It is a legal requirement to notify the central science laboratory (CSL) or relevant government agriculture dept, if you suspect you may have either AFB or EFB.

Other pests include Verroa, Tropilaelaps and the small hive beetle which can cause some damage and is a serious new threat to apiculture. Less serious pests can include rodents and wax moths.

Good husbandry and keeping your colonies strong and healthy is the key. Make sure at lean times you supply them with enough food to make sure they dont go robbing and therefore lowering the risk of contracting a disease elsewhere.

There is a chance you can get foul brood at any time so other than keeping your colony healthy and clean, there isnt much else that can be done. The control of the disease is in early identification within your hive/s.

Get yourself on a bee-keeping course to teach you the basics and for a bit of hands on. There is far too much to explain in a simple post like this. There are helpfull leaflets available from defra/csl. Pm me if you get stuck or require a little more direction :thumbs:

Thank's mate i'll do that, their not mine though but i have to say i could watch the little buggers toiling all day, truely great creatures...........