Puppy Litters & Rescue Lurchers

I have just been browsing through a few lurcher rescue home websites based in the UK.

What amazes me is the shear amount of lurchers, most very young puppies, found as strays/abandoned.

After being on this forum for near a year now, I have seen countless litters of puppies being bred, each time they are garaunteed workers, bred from working parents, will take all legal quarry etc.

What happens to these pups? Does any of them ever make it beyond there 2nd year? Are they abandoned or sold or 'Hang&Bang' d ?

Do any actually live a long and happy life with a working home or do they end up as just being bred to die or go to a charitable rescue home?

Many of these dogs I see on the site look excellent. They seem to have a very good physical conformation, potentially good for your average working lurcher home.

If I were any of ye thinking to breed, think twice about what is going to happen to the pups and is it really necessary to breed.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some folks prefer a quality animal over an known(& un-knowable)POS dumped in a pest & disease ridden pound.

Saying that infers that the animals in rescue or pounds are somehow inferior - which I suspect, in many cases, would be more applicable to their past owners than the dogs themselves. I've seen some remarkable animals pass through rescue. They're certainly not all pieces of sh*t - again, that description is best saved for the vast majority of d*ckheads who dump them in the first place.

I prefer to rear a puppy for a lot of different reasons but I would not turn my nose up at the right older dog. Experienced dog folks - true ones - should be able to read potential in a rescue dog and build on it, if they're so inclined. The rewards would come back ten fold to the person who put in the effort.

My rescue grey is a pet, not a potential worker though I hold out hope that some day I'll figure out how to unlock her potential (at the moment she's a rather dim bolt of lightening). I never intended her to work, she's company for my lurcher, and my family :thumbs:

As to breeding, it's not something I imagine I'll ever do. There are, unfortunately, enough people doing it already. If I was after another pup, I'd go through people I know who produce quality - not the "quality" as often advertised on places like epupz.

Guest little lurcher

i raised the question just 2 days ago about breeding from my small lurcher bitch , with fears of where they would go , this is whats holding me back from my decision , however if i choose not to bred her her line , built by my father will be lost as she is the very last , a dilemma, in heart and head

i am not adverse to having rescues as workers i have the sauki x at min , making fine progrees and i doubt she would have been any better had i have not had her from a small pup , each dog has its merits and what the question should be is how far YOU would go to acheive results

there are too many dogs in rescue all over the world , this may offend some but IMO if those with bad temps and too many issues were pts then spaces would be free for those really deserving rescue

Most commited people who work their dogs will find there will be the NEED to breed every so often to carry on the line, and hopefully become the next worker to be proud of.

Just have to be VERY carefull where the surplus pups are going to. Its a bloody tricky situation, and have heard of many people who have been heartbroken, when they have found out that one or more of their pups has been niglected or misstreated.

It pays to be very fussy about it. And make damn sure that the new owners have been well vetted. If anything smells even slightly fishy then, dont let 'em have one.

It can help to sell the pups locally, and arrange to keep in touch about the pups progress etc.. Plus then, you can see where they live and if the living quarters are up to scratch.

The problems lie with the money breeders, who churn out pup after pup and couldnt give a toss where they go or what happens to them. As long as they get the cash in their hand they are happy.

But then if people didnt buy 'em, they wouldnt be able to sell 'em!

Just a few of my thoughts

That is why i never sell dogs, and give them only to people i know well...if that person wants to get rid, for whatever reason, it comes back...if that person dont do as asked, i never have anything more to do with them...simple.

If im gonna breed a litter, i will ask around to the very few people who i might consider giving pups to, if they want one or two, great...i will then keep back any i want, the rest get PTS...i would rather that than a "pillar-to-post" type of life, or ending up in someones yard getting "pimped" out or pregnant ever heat cycle.

Kye,..

this is the nature of the beast.............................................. and what a shame it is.

Alot of inexperienced lurcher folk should blame themselves for the fact that the dog dosnt make the grade....also kids get interested then find something else to press their buttons.... unfortunately the only sufferers are the poor dogs.

Good lurchers are common......................... outstanding lurchers are very hard to come by................... Idiots do not understand this, and move dogs on as if they were selling used cars....

C***ts

My boy was dumped at 6 months after so bad treatment. There was nothing wrong with him whatsoever and I get comments everywhere I go about him i've had him 3 years nearly and he is an outstanding dog. As for an outstanding worker, time will tell.

I agree with LG, the problem tends to lie with the idiots that dump the dogs, not the dogs themselves. I'm sorry Kate but how do you know that these 'dumped mutts' aren't quality dogs! Dogs end up in rescue for all sorts of reasons and rescue german shepards have gone on to make good police dogs etc so why not rescue lurchers good workers.

I'm glad not everyone has such narrow minded views and there are people prepared to take on rescue dogs rather than breed more needless litters!

maybe for anyone out every good night lamping or full time pest control worker then a dog from tried and tested stock would prob be the best way to go, but for jo average out a couple of nights or days a week looking for a bit of sport a rescue lurcher or pup i think should fit the bill. like has been said already a lot of how a dog shapes up can be down to its owner..if rabbits have to be cleared to keep permision then there the option to ferret, far to much presure seems to sometimes be put on are lurchers got to catch this or that instead of enjoying the dogs what ever there abilities jmo cheers

To repeat...I can tell quality from crap & prefer quality.

You go ahead & take all the junk you want,wuv em to death,I don't care. But...kindly learn how to spell SHEPHERD-as in "HERDS sheep"!-& don't tell me to do the same.

I've been doing my 100% purebred,registered,titled dogs for coming on 40yrs.now. I have "DISCRIMINATING TASTE",not "narrow-minded views" *&* what business is it of yours to push mutts on anybody let alone me,pray tell?

Geenie mac!, calm down will you. No one is pushing mutts on to you.

In fact this is an open discussion, all views are welcome. Its not all against one.

Your not going to make any friends here picking on peoples spelling. There are lots of good dog men and women on here that cant spell for sh*te. Better get used to it.

My boy was dumped at 6 months after so bad treatment. There was nothing wrong with him whatsoever and I get comments everywhere I go about him i've had him 3 years nearly and he is an outstanding dog. As for an outstanding worker, time will tell.

I agree with LG, the problem tends to lie with the idiots that dump the dogs, not the dogs themselves. I'm sorry Kate but how do you know that these 'dumped mutts' aren't quality dogs! Dogs end up in rescue for all sorts of reasons and rescue german shepards have gone on to make good police dogs etc so why not rescue lurchers good workers.

I'm glad not everyone has such narrow minded views and there are people prepared to take on rescue dogs rather than breed more needless litters!

To repeat...I can tell quality from crap & prefer quality.

You go ahead & take all the junk you want,wuv em to death,I don't care. But...kindly learn how to spell SHEPHERD-as in "HERDS sheep"!-& don't tell me to do the same.

I've been doing my 100% purebred,registered,titled dogs for coming on 40yrs.now. I have "DISCRIMINATING TASTE",not "narrow-minded views" *&* what business is it of yours to push mutts on anybody let alone me,pray tell?

Put your dummy back in :censored: Nobody suggested that you take a rescue dog in. Nobody is pushing anything on you :big_boss: And pointing out people's spelling errors is :thumbdown: Yer, that really shows discriminating taste :wallbash:

Go stroke your purebreed titled dogs .... apparently you've nowt much to add to the OP's discussion.

have fostered dogs for a lurcher charity and have a rehome.

charities do a great job on shit budgets and feck all support. my rescue is hopless for working tries hard but never going to be more than a odd one for the pot type beast, luck of the draw but for socalising young dogs has been a star. I have had ex-workings dogs as fosters who have got to four and been dumped after sold graft but not quiet upto 4 days a weeks work anymore. for one for the pot hunters people couldnt do to badly with a couple of the dogs I have had through but fen dogs for 3/3 and match work they aint, strangely they get held onto. that said alot of the lurchers in rescues come from pet homes so making the grade aint owt to do with it.

all in all its horses for courses. rescues can have what some people are after and some will want to buy in or bred their own. No right or wrong answers. fact

I think reddog's point is very valid. Potential lurcher owners need to be realistic and honest about how much work they can give a dog and perhaps should think more about the qualities a pup has been bred for.

I could afford to buy a big name dog with an impeccable working pedigree but I couldn't give it the amount of work it should be doing. Result would likely be an unhappy dog, unhappy owner and yet another lurcher passed on to eventually end up in a rescue.

There's every justification for breeding top class lurchers (for those who need the right tools for the job) but for part-time "one for the pot" guys like myself (who disagree with the ban but will adhere to the law) a so-called POS would do the job fine.