Puppy Litters & Rescue Lurchers

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats this handbags at dawn :whistling: ............... :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Hey mighty midget!! Watch it :gunsmilie:

have you girls been drinking :whistling: ...........nothing worse then women that cant handle there drink :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're one to talk - would you like a vodka babe? :victory:

Hi everyone

I dont know about the UK, but at least with the rescues I like to help out with, there are a good few hunters involved. The dog rescues are not totally anti hunting either.

You may have individuals own feelings and beliefs, but they are not united against hunting.

I have never had to buy a rescue dog in my life.

Also it is worth noting that all purebreds originated as 'mutts'. Even the glorious 'Norwich Terrier' is an refined inbred 'mutt'.

At the end of the day, Kate, if a lovely unfortunate Norwich Terrier was kennelled in a dog rescue home, wouldn't you want to help it out and give it a better life?

Perhaps not.... :hmm:

Norwich Terrier Club Rescue

Mrs L Stewart, Hemmington, Bath. Tel: 01373 834079

whats this handbags at dawn :whistling: ............... :clapper::clapper::clapper:

have you girls been drinking :whistling: ...........nothing worse then women that cant handle there drink :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You need to get a hand on your man!!

No seriously - I really think you should get a 'hand' on your man :clapper:

Hi everyone

I dont know about the UK, but at least with the rescues I like to help out with, there are a good few hunters involved. The dog rescues are not totally anti hunting either.

You may have individuals own feelings and beliefs, but they are not united against hunting.

Also it is worth noting that all purebreds originated as 'mutts'. Even the glorious 'Norwich Terrier' is an refined inbred 'mutt'.

At the end of the day, Kate, if a lovely unfortunate Norwich Terrier was kennelled in a dog rescue home, wouldn't you want to help it out and give it a better life?

Perhaps not.... :hmm:

Norwich Terrier Club Rescue

Mrs L Stewart, Hemmington, Bath. Tel: 01373 834079

The rescue I help here in the UK also have an open mind with regards to rehoming. They believe the best home is what is best for the dog, and often an ex working dog will be rehomed to a working home.

But with organisations like PETA, its easy to see how extreme some groups want to take 'things'. :thumbdown:

You need to get a hand on your man!!

No seriously - I really think you should get a 'hand' on your man :clapper:

Get over here and babysit for me and I will :D

Hi everyone

Perhaps not....

Well said cúagusgiorraí :yes:

well I can't speak for everyone, but when I was involved in rescue, I traded/received/gave dogs to other rescues at no charge. I often couldn't adopt out dogs for enough to cover the vet bills on dogs that breeders wouldn't take back. The cost at the local shelter to bail a dog, fully neutered and jabbed up, was $13 (which is like 6 quid). The shelters made it SOOOOO cheap to adopt a dog that I just couldn't understand why more people didn't rescue dogs. I got so frustrated and upset about what OTHER people did that I was ignoring my own dogs due to the time that my rescue efforts took. So that on top of other reasons, I stopped rescuing. BUT I am FULLY supportive of those who do, as long as they don't tell me what to do with my own dogs.

One reason there might be the perception that American rescues don't work together is distance issues, it is a damn big country.

Please don't color all Americans with the same brush, they are drastically different.

BUT I am FULLY supportive of those who do, as long as they don't tell me what to do with my own dogs.

Would that others could manage to do the same.

im all for a good debait and like to voice and hear opinions from all,but when you sink as low as you have with your sly, belittleing and snotty remarks picking holes in any comments that dont meet your ideals or approval tends to make me think that you have not a clue about the average joe doing his or her thing there way.no one is trying to force there opinions on you all there trying to tell you is that you are a stuck up old trout who talks to people like there something stuck to the bottom of your shoe,or are we not worthy of that either,hope i have spelled everything correctly for you. :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

BUT I am FULLY supportive of those who do, as long as they don't tell me what to do with my own dogs.

im all for a good debait and like to voice and hear opinions from all,but when you sink as low as you have with your sly, belittleing and snotty remarks picking holes in any comments that dont meet your ideals or approval tends to make me think that you have not a clue about the average joe doing his or her thing there way.no one is trying to force there opinions on you all there trying to tell you is that you are a stuck up old trout who talks to people like there something stuck to the bottom of your shoe,or are we not worthy of that either,hope i have spelled everything correctly for you. :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

:clapper:

we need a spell check!

you sure are one cold human Kate :thumbdown: (compassion look it up, it is what makes us different from other mammels)

I do have a biochemistry degree, but I can't spell :hmm:

The rescue I help here in the UK also have an open mind with regards to rehoming. They believe the best home is what is best for the dog, and often an ex working dog will be rehomed to a working home.

It's not like that in the US. The vast majority of sighthound rescue like Greyhounds, etc. will not adopt to a home that wants to hunt the dog. Extremely specific contracts are also the norm, requiring fenced yards, no kenneling (dog must be kept the house), dog is never to be allowed off lead, that kind of thing.

It is also increasingly difficult to get a dog of any kind through many shelters or rescues. The rescue community and general public regard anyone who keeps an intact dog as irresponsible and most will not place a dog with someone who keeps dogs that are not spayed or neutered.

Someone I know went looking for a rescue livestock guardian for her farm and could not find one that would allow her to work the dog; they all wanted the dog kept only in the house.

Rescue and breeding are hot topics right now in the US; next month the city council of Dallas, Texas, will vote on an ordinance that will require all dogs over the age of six months to be spayed or neutered. Only dogs of AKC recognized breeds whose owners pay a $500 per year fee would be eligible to stay intact.

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

It's not like that in the US. The vast majority of sighthound rescue like Greyhounds, etc. will not adopt to a home that wants to hunt the dog. Extremely specific contracts are also the norm, requiring fenced yards, no kenneling (dog must be kept the house), dog is never to be allowed off lead, that kind of thing.

It is also increasingly difficult to get a dog of any kind through many shelters or rescues. The rescue community and general public regard anyone who keeps an intact dog as irresponsible and most will not place a dog with someone who keeps dogs that are not spayed or neutered.

Someone I know went looking for a rescue livestock guardian for her farm and could not find one that would allow her to work the dog; they all wanted the dog kept only in the house.

Rescue and breeding are hot topics right now in the US; next month the city council of Dallas, Texas, will vote on an ordinance that will require all dogs over the age of six months to be spayed or neutered. Only dogs of AKC recognized breeds whose owners pay a $500 per year fee would be eligible to stay intact.

I think some of these organisations are unrealistic about their requirements, and about the basic needs of the dogs they're rescuing. But that's a whole other kettle of fish .....

In some ways I can see how and ordinance like that would be a really good thing, especially in cities. It probably wouldn't be necessary if people were more responsible and selective about breeding. But $500 a year would be easy enough to pay out for someone who's churning out puppies for profit, so it seems a bit defeatist as well.

What a disaster. I know it's not a popular point of view but I think the more rigorous we are about preventing breeding the more danger there is of ruining dogs - you end up with highly bred pedigree dogs with defects instead of healthy and robust cross breeds. Pedigree breeders and the Kennel Club between them have managed to ruin many breeds - I was horrified to see the shape the borzois were in at crufts for instance.

I don't know what the answer is but leaving the future of dogs in the hands of pedigree breeders who are happy to churn out dogs that can't breathe and who's hips give up the ghost after a couple of years cannot possibly be the way.

Thankk god working lines are still maintained seperately from f****d up show lines in some breeds.