Laddy under no circumstances go into farming,

Its poorly paid 24/7 no social life, no quitting time, bad prices, high costs and thats before you start a family.

No woman in their right mind would marry you and if she did, well gone and split up once poverty strikes 2 weeks after honeymoon.

PLASTERING PLASTERING PLASTERING PLASTERING. Hard work but will pay dividends after about 5 years. Nobody likes their job (except game keepters). You have to take the shit sometimes but in farming you get the shit all the time.

SERVE YOUR TIME, IT'S EASY CARRIED. best of luck

Knifebar :victory:

i worked on a farm for 8 years ,after being in the building game for 12years, unfortunatly i was made redundandant when the farmer retired, i loved it , total 100%, not the bestmoney in the wokld but in the building i worked hard made good money ,but spent it going to the country ?? it's up to you ,if it's in your blood you will love it, if you treat it just as job ,forget it .

my old man forced me into a trade cursed him at the time.. but hey... you might not work it the rest of your life but its there to fall back on.

any plasterer i know at the moment aint skint thats for sure and the are all doing homers\ cashers too.!!!

make your money and use it to fund your fieldsports hobbies.

plasterer definately the way the housing market and builders are and have been the last few years.

if you pay attention and learn your craft your work will be noticed and you will get work!!!!

Sauer

As some of the lads have said above stick with the plastering!!...there's good money to be had in the LONG RUN...get yourself trained and go self employed...my old man was a farm foreman when we was kids...we was allways poor as f**k...none of me and my two brothers went into farming...me and one of my brothers went into the building trade...both self employed...done well for ourselves...the only ones who make a GOOD living out of farming are the ones who own the land!

Edited by AKA-BRINDLE

Just had a thought hun, why dont you stick with the plastering for the time, and just do one day a week on the farm, to get a tatse of things to come. I started off being an "apprentice" Herdsperson, milking on the weekends, for no more than the bloody learning of it... and then went to college, and qualified up to farm management.... at least then I could expect no less than the standard rate of pay.

hello thanks for the sugestion, the farm is in an awkward place where no public travel goes so i would have to buy a motorbike, so would cost me quite abit just to go on a weekend, i will be talking with him tomorrow so ill discuss everything possible :)

i finished my 2yr plastering apprintaship last year and yeah it is hard work but is good money but the money is made [bANNED TEXT] your selfemployed and all my boss seemed to be doing is working through the day and pricing up on nite times he didnt seem to have a life he gets plenty of work and plenty off money hes just spent nearly £40,000 on the new audi :icon_eek: but only go into plastering if you can definatly get an apprentiship cos i no loads of lads who went to collage 5 days a week and noone will take them on hope this helps :big_boss:

hello allrounder i got offered an apprentiship with a plasterer but i didnt really like him, we got on but i didnt like him... im allowed to trial in the holidays if i like it ill take apprentice if not ill do full time plastering, but a plastering firms just laid off 70 plasterers due to no work so its not looking good for plasterers at the moment.

Guest JohnGalway

Farming won't pay the bills. It's brilliant as a way of life. I'm lucky in that I have my own small farm, but, and this is very important, I had to get a second job. There was no choice in the matter. The rewards in farming are very big, as long as it's not money you're expecting.

most of my family and relations farm...each has a farm and an average of 80-100 acres but they all hav a full time job i.e. enginner,electrican,welder,shopkeeper,carpenter.unless you own the land and its 500 acres there is little chance you will make enough money especially as a farm hand. my advice is get a trade maybe there is no work now but it opens up doors for you. you can go to other countries and work i.e. austraila. then you could come home when the building trade improves and who knows you might even have enough money to buy a bit of land

Hello iv been offered an apprentiship on a farm, but im from a construction family and i want to know abit more about farming,

i know the moneys crap but what does an apprentice usually do is it entertaining and different every day, or will i be sorting egg sizes all day :whistling:

iv also got the chance to do a second year in plastering , but its donkeywork and not what i want to be doing.... my heads in peices trying to work out what to do...

so please if any farmers are reading, do you like your job, and what prospects does an apprentice look to once hes finished the apprentiship?

i dont want to be doing one thing all day like milking cows or sorting chicken egg sizes out or cleaning cow shite up, ill do it but not something id want to do all day every day id like to hear thats its a varied job, but dont lie to me please :whistling::clapper:

thanks

Take the plastering job you'll be better of in the long run, dont think of it as work, just a means to an end ie it funds your lifestly...Farming shit load of work for little return.