Heard a cuckoo this morning, my first of the year. No doubt some have been heard earlier, but May 2nd is not bad round here.

Also, had a couple of Swallows flying round at low level last night, as I walked my permission. Signs of summer coming hopefully??

Sorry, no pics. Camera left in car last night, and couldn't see the cuckoo!!

I haven't heard a Cuckoo this year yet Geoff, but I'm on a place tomorrow that could have one. There's been one for the last few years there but last year it was only around for two weeks then it disappeared. Some folk have said they've been hearing them since february, but that's impossible. They must have been hearing a dove.

Found a Dippers today. :thumbs:

Edited by cragman
heard my first the end of january and the fecking thing hasnt shut up since .............

Impossible Socks and it would be on national television if that was the case. They're migrants and therefore insect feeders and also love the hairy caterpillars, which just happen to be about at this time of year (spring), not january or february. Cuckoos only come here to breed and that's all, not to hang around for months. Everything they do coincides with food availability and other birds breeding. I'd say they're here for about six or seven weeks then they become less active and return from whence they came, not even seeing their own young hatch and leave the nest. And there begins another mystery...how does the young Cuckoo find it's way to South Africa during migration, on its own? Nature is a wonderful thing. ;)

heard my first the end of january and the fecking thing hasnt shut up since .............

Impossible Socks and it would be on national television if that was the case. They're migrants and therefore insect feeders and also love the hairy caterpillars, which just happen to be about at this time of year (spring), not january or february. Cuckoos only come here to breed and that's all, not to hang around for months. Everything they do coincides with food availability and other birds breeding. I'd say they're here for about six or seven weeks then they become less active and return from whence they came, not even seeing their own young hatch and leave the nest. And there begins another mystery...how does the young Cuckoo find it's way to South Africa during migration, on its own? Nature is a wonderful thing. ;)

: :yes::yes:

I was thinking that myself?? :big_boss:

I was wondering if it was the neighbours clock? :victory:

heard one near me doing the strange[male] kookarburra type call. dont know if there was a female about or another male.

heard one near me doing the strange[male] kookarburra type call. dont know if there was a female about or another male.

Sounds like a male "gowking" Byron. I've had them right in when I've "called" to them. Could be two males having a go at each other. It's used as a threatening call at intruders.

Watching a Stonechat building today.

Edited by cragman