how long do i leave hob and jill to mate??

Guest olofthegr8

Guest olofthegr8

i have a jill in season and have put my hob in with her and i am hoping to breed from them and before anyone asks do you have homes for all the kits the answer is yes

any way please could someone tell me how long i leave the hob and jill together to mate?

you'll get a few differnt answers, I tend to leave the hob in with the jill, untill the vulva starts to go down, that way you know for sure that mating has occurred, others take the hob out if the jills neck looks too badly bitern,

Guest on the hill

you keep them seperate untill you are sure the jill is ready then add the hob and the jill should catch in no time.

keep them together for about 2-4 weeks just to make sure!! your ferret might not catch but that is unusuall it is hard to tell when the jill has caught but the swelling on her vulva goes down!!

happy ferreting :)

you keep them seperate untill you are sure the jill is ready then add the hob and the jill should catch in no time.

keep them together for about 2-4 weeks just to make sure!! your ferret might not catch but that is unusuall it is hard to tell when the jill has caught but the swelling on her vulva goes down!!

happy ferreting :)

i agree ... wait til you KNOW she's ready.. about a week or so and she'll be VERY swelled up.. i left them together for about 3 days until the swelling started to .."deflate" a bit for lack of a better description... we've a week and a half to go .. but she's certainly gotten a belly and teats ... so fingers crossed...

have a jill swollen 4week now brought it 2 be mated when i seen it at its bigst i was told in not ready and its in heat 4 week whats going on iv not a clue when it comes 2 ferrets ,

by you own words, you admit to knowing nothing about ferrets, yet want to breed them :wallbash:

I'd suggest you get rid of the ferrets, read some books, get some experience, and try again

• Like 1
have a jill swollen 4week now brought it 2 be mated when i seen it at its bigst i was told in not ready and its in heat 4 week whats going on iv not a clue when it comes 2 ferrets ,

by you own words, you admit to knowing nothing about ferrets, yet want to breed them :wallbash:

I'd suggest you get rid of the ferrets, read some books, get some experience, and try again

thats helpful advice :thumbdown: the bloke was just looking for some advice :feck:

i have a jill in season and have put my hob in with her and i am hoping to breed from them and before anyone asks do you have homes for all the kits the answer is yes

any way please could someone tell me how long i leave the hob and jill together to mate?

I personally leave them together for only one day...morning until evening..if the jill is right on cue then thats all that is needed..the hobs are very rough on these jills and I see no reason at all to have the Jill dragged around by her neck for days on end..

I watch the Jill for a few days afterwards just to ensure that she has been mated and the swelling is receeding or in case I have to put her back in..I never have and thats in donkeys years..so one day together works for me..the hob gets to shag her brains out all day and the Jill has multiple orgasms all day to distract her from the pain in the neck..

thats helpful advice :thumbdown: the bloke was just looking for some advice :feck:

I think that is sound advice from Stubby mate and no disrespect..maybe not get rid of the ferret but hang fire on the breeding bit..because if hang&bang has a ferret and by his own admission is stating he has'nt a clue but is going to have it mated regardless..and after mating his Jill is then perhaps going to end up with a dozen by which time he wont have any more of a clue..where is the logic and common sense in that ??..

I agree with hang&bang that you certainly learn more hands on..but what about the ferret when this learning is taking place..the fact that ferrets are cheap enough to buy and easy to house has brought a huge misconception that they pretty much take no looking after..but they do..their welfare, health and general well being is in our hands..

I would say to hang&bang that if the mating does go ahead (regardless) try to ensure that you have someone more clued in to ferrets popping round and keeping an eye on things for you until you learn a bit more mate..

i only leave them for 24 hours together ,its usually long enough and i dont want the jill being to marked by the hob

Quite plenty too Sue..two weeks ago I called on a pal to pick him up to go down the midlands to collect a puppy..when I got to his I put my Jill in with one of his hobs approx 7-30 am..I collected my Jill on the way back..at 3-30 pm ish..at most 8 hours later and took her home..she is now out of season and in kit..

bred ferrets all my life mate cuople of hours is all it takes