a serious question,

Guest markbrick1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clapper: The wee cottages sound nice...

Personaly,..I would have to agree with Whin,..and in answer to your question regarding the viability of such a venture,..in my opinion,...it will only end in tears.....

Why don't you just invite a few good lads down to your place for a bit of sport and good fun,...then,.THEY will be obliged and duty bound to return your kind hospitality. :thumbs:

HOWEVER,..put me and the Wife down for a romantic weekend,...and feck the rabbits,...just locate me a nearby Indian Restaurant,.and a good Off-Licence...that will do nicely... :drink:

Best of luck to you and yours,.cheers,.CHALKWARREN... :thumbs:

Edited by CHALKWARREN

As you said Chalky,Caithness was the mecca because of the VAST amount of quarry,I have a cousin farms a croft west of Thurso,her husband shoots rabbits from the kitchen window :icon_eek: But back in the hey-day of the far north every man and his dog headed up the A9 ASSURED of some excellent sport,it was impossible to blank,I even remember slipping the dog on a rabbit and it grabbed a roe which appeared from some gorse :icon_eek: Incredible times,will mark be able to replicate them for visitors?Who knows,but he is brave enough to attempt it so good luck :victory: with his venture :victory:

post-1930-1213351420_thumb.jpg

I THINK PEOPLES EXPECTIATIONS ARE DIFFRENT NOW, THERS NO NEED TO GO AND GET HUNDREDS OF BUNNIES, BACK THEN IT WAS EXPECTED LOTS OF UNEMPLOYEMENT, AND THE LADS MADE A BIT OF CASH OUT OF THERE BUSSMANS HOLIDAY.

TODAY IS DIFRENT, SURE THEY WANT TO GET A FEW, BUT I BET MOST LADS WOULD BE HAPPY WITH 20 OR SO FROM FERRETING AND THE SAME FROM A NIGHTS LAMPING, .

IF MARK DOES NORMAL HOLIDAYS FOR REGULAR FOLK IN THE SUMMER, AND HUNTING HOLS IN THE WINTER, PERHAPS 2 OR 3 BOOKINGS A MONTH DURING WINTER, SAY OCTOBER TIL FEB . THATS ONLY 5 MONTH AT 3 BOOKINS A MONTH THATS ONLY 15 GROUPS OF LADS PER SEASON, THATS NOT THAT MANY.

DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE ENOUGH LAND FOR 15 GROUPS THROUGH THE WINTER MARK. I THINK YOU PROBLY DO . BUT ONLY YOU KNOW.

ME MAX AND NOBBY WILL BE WILLING TO TEST IT OUT MARK, :clapper: GOOD LUCK TOMO

We never did it for cash Tommo,we just did it because where else could you catch rabbits 24/7?That was the attraction,I wouldnt have made that journey for 20 bunnies a night on the beam,we could get that around the doors,I just think what really made those trips special was the chance to take phenomenal bags and really see the dogs tested :victory:

Anyone who knows owt about the dog game knows you aint gonna be guarranteed certain numbers, its just the way it goes, likewise your night might come to an end if your dog gets injured early!!! local vet prices might be something to look into??? When i was up at whins place for a day out ferreting and then lamping, my dog got knocked up through the day and couldn't run on the night, but luckily he had his dogs too and the whole day was spot on!!!

That was the thing about Caithness back then LD,you COULD guarantee numbers,whether dogging,ferreting,netting whatever,I used to go there several times a winter,never had a dog knocked up so maybe I was lucky,but the numbers were always there and seemed never to diminish,we got 800+ one week,back there three months later working the same ground it was like we handt even scratched the surface,the place was heaving :icon_eek: I wonder what its like nowadays :hmm:

Guest markbrick1
Mark,ever thought of tapping into the angling or diving scene,if theres any decent fishing marks off-shore or wrecks its ideal for summer,then aim for rabbiters in winter :hmm:

just got back been over falmouth ports catho way mate saw a bloke bring in a 8ft thresher we caught a load of pollock and a few mackeral but enjoy snorkeling the most and spear fishing we had a good day this is what we use

post-1343-1213381137_thumb.jpg

just got back been over falmouth ports catho way mate saw a bloke bring in a 8ft thresher

get any pics mark , awesome :)

i didnt get a picture sorry,

In theory it sounds like a great idea but one or two things you might want to consider.

1) Hunting deer & fox with dogs is illegal so you would need to be careful how you advertise

2) Unlimited Lamping and pretty soon the game will become lamp shy and scarce

3) You may end up being responsible for any damage to livestock so careful vetting of potential clients will have to be considered

Hope it works out for you mate cause as I said its a good idea but all it takes is one idiot to spoil it. Good Luck!

Guest markbrick1
just got back been over falmouth ports catho way mate saw a bloke bring in a 8ft thresher

get any pics mark , awesome :)

i didnt get a picture sorry,

In theory it sounds like a great idea but one or two things you might want to consider.

1) Hunting deer & fox with dogs is illegal so you would need to be careful how you advertise

2) Unlimited Lamping and pretty soon the game will become lamp shy and scarce

3) You may end up being responsible for any damage to livestock so careful vetting of potential clients will have to be considered

Hope it works out for you mate cause as I said its a good idea but all it takes is one idiot to spoil it. Good Luck!

i have took all the above into consideration but i have that much permision and farmers asking me all the time that lamp shy rabbits are lack of rabbits isnt realey an issue as to fox and deer :wallbash::wallbash: and a lot of lnd is crop so only people with 100% dogs will go on my lifestock farms,mark

its only a thought.............and not one of mine.i have a lot of land to hunt upon,with lots of rabbits pheasants and foxes,i have farmers phoning me all the time to control the rabbits,would people pay to ferret lamp and shoot,i for one wouldnt :whistling: so like i say its not my thought its my son in laws :gunsmilie: i also have holiday lets,all hunting would be on land with permision and i must have 10,000 acres available,also as a bonus 200 yards from the lets theres a trout stream and 1 mile away there is some good sea fishing,but iam no fisherman but some are,what would one excpect to catch quantitys if they were paying for lamping and ferreting??????????????like i say its not my thought its his :drink: so per night with accomadation and hunting,i know i will get some stick here but what the feck i am used to that, :laugh: but being from the north west we arnt all as lucky as me down here in cornwall,so come on give me are him some ideas,catch nu,price etc of coarse own dogs ferrets and guns,there isnt many places that do this around the uk to help the lurcher and terrier enthusiastic person,mark

I wouldn't pay for laming and ferreting rabbits but those cottages look brill.

I would however pay to do some muntjac stalking :gunsmilie: If you have any permission to stalk deer let me know :victory: I mean with a rifle not a long dog as we all know thats been banned