Velocitors in .22rf

Hi All, assuming a safe, clean-kill shot is presented by a fox - what is a sensible maximum range using the CCI Velocitors in my .22rf (BRNO model2)?

Hi if you look at the CCI site the velocitors are 1435 fps at the muzzle 1230 fps at 50yards 1149 fps at 75yards & 1084 fps at 100yards so in theory if the shot placement is accurate 100yards is possible but unless you are 110% sure you can make that shot i would not recomend it at that distance 75yards should be an easy shot for most of us although longer shots are not beyond the rifle or ammo

Guest JohnGalway

I would say 20 yards closer to you than the distance you can regularly hold an inch grouping while zeroing/target shooting. Does that make sense? What I'm getting at is with the .22lr, no matter the ammo, you need correct shot placement. It's not forgiving like some centrefire calibres which do massive damage. Also, the 20 yards less bit, you're not going to get the same accuracy in the field as you would when you're relaxed and presumably have picked your time and weather conditions for zeroing/target shooting. Farthest I've shot a fox with my .22lr is 80 yards, head shot. I used to say 100 yards for .22lr as max range on fox, I've revised this to 80 now for myself. Remember that you're shooting a rimfire and not a centrefire. The range I find acceptable will differ from other people and vice versa. As a last note, use the ammo that will group the tightest in your particular rifle.

2 Very good responses so far in my opinion.

I use the Velocitors and find they arrive with a serious thump BUT, the HP is not that big and the speed and copper coat reduces the bullet head spread on impact at times. Sadly as well, the groups do tend to open up a bit at 100 yards. Without doubt these have plenty of power to stop a fox at 100 yards but placement is fairly crucial as they still have a very good chance of going right through without opening up fully!

A 40g Sub sonic HP will open up like a mushroom, cause considerable internal damage and quite often stay within the body and therefore impart all its energy into the quarry.

It's not always about power, but effect, and I can honestly say that in some situations I find a 100ft lb sub sonic HP a more effective and efficient killing tool than the Velocitor!

:thumbs::thumbs:

I have shot a lot of foxes with my rimfire,and,I have always used subsonics,and, I try to get them in as close as possible.......say 50 yds or closer.I do this because I have a lot of respect for the things that I have to kill.............Martin. :thumbs:

Yes agree martin, I'd say 50yd max with a .22lr even if they are capable of greater ranges....to be honest if your shooting foxes you want a centrefire they provide greater range and are more forgiving of any error on your own part.

Ian, I agree with you about a centre-fire for dedicated fox shooting, but the reason for my original question was that I only have the one rifle, and when I check the pens on our shoot I have it with me to take the squirrels & bunnies, just occasionally (and I mean only once or twice a season) a fox might present itself. So it was really for those odd opportunities, but thanks for all the answers.

Edited by chiefbeater

First off, your choice of rifle (Mod 2) is a great start, very accurate weapon, I have stretched shots with the .22lr out to at least 120 metres and with the Brno this is quiet possible, love the CCI's but have found Wichester Super X's in HP to be brillaint. Don't feel undergunned at these ranges, just be confident in your ability and all will fall into place.

Cheers

First off, your choice of rifle (Mod 2) is a great start, very accurate weapon, I have stretched shots with the .22lr out to at least 120 metres and with the Brno this is quiet possible, love the CCI's but have found Wichester Super X's in HP to be brillaint. Don't feel undergunned at these ranges, just be confident in your ability and all will fall into place.

Cheers

[/quote Totally agree. Sounds an obvious thing to say but,the more you use your the .22 the better you will become and you'll slowly reach further and judge any hold-over needed . If you can hit a bunny in the head you can hit a fox in the same place at at least the same range.I've seen foxes killed at over 100yds with sub-sonics to the head by guys who really knew their ammo and weapon through total familiarity. The beauty of the .22 rim is its flexibility due to the variety of ammo available .Realisticly,I hope for fifty yard shots, try to limit myself to eighty yards but do sometimes push things out on the odd occasion.My Brno is zeroed for 60yds with sub-sonic and I still have most of the box of high-velocity I bought twenty-five years ago with the rifle but I've worn out two firing pins with sub-sonics.I think that it is with quiet ,inexpensive all- round short to mid range pest control where a rim-fire scores .I've read of a starving Inuit shooting a caribou with a .22 but even though this idicates that the round should not be underestimated it obviously is'nt recomended . Certainly make you less than welcome in the Cairngorms.

Thanks for the compliments on the choice of rifle chaps - it's a 1956 model 2. I did a fair bit of research before looking for one, and yes it's accurate - 5 shots into a hole smaller than a 1p piece at 50 metres (not every time, but I have done it!). I need to do some testing with the high velocity rounds, but I'll look into the Winchesters too - thanks for the advice.

Edited by chiefbeater

Weve all done it /will do it but should we really be advocating the rimmy for fox shooting at all .Ive shot some decent ranges in the past but seen some run off obviously hit ,never to be recovered .If we are all honest about this then we would agree that its not the done thing .The rimmy is for SMALL pests and vermin .These days i never shoot at a fox with the .22 and have never wounded one with the centre fire which to me says it all . :thumbdown:

Weve all done it /will do it but should we really be advocating the rimmy for fox shooting at all .Ive shot some decent ranges in the past but seen some run off obviously hit ,never to be recovered .If we are all honest about this then we would agree that its not the done thing .The rimmy is for SMALL pests and vermin .These days i never shoot at a fox with the .22 and have never wounded one with the centre fire which to me says it all . :thumbdown:

i don't agree, I think a 22LR is a very capable fox tool. It's about shot placement and self discipline. If you shoot charlie in the head at 60 yards, he really, really isn't getting up, and he's straight down to boot. Sometimes, especially round here in Berks, land is small, and people get grumpy about the noise of a rifle (yes, even with a mod, and yes, it's bloody silly, but there you go). So the 22LR is the tool - it's quiet and lethal, you just have to get the field bit right to get in range. AND... you have to be disciplined - if a shot ain't right, leave the fox alone.

If you follow those rules there is no reason why a 22 won't do the job over and over.

Guest JohnGalway

I'm going to split hairs here, won't get thanked for doing it by anyone but it's true ;)

Shooting a fox in the head :fool: won't guarentee a kill. Snout, ears etc. being part of the head :whistling: (edited to add I mean with .22lr).

What you want to be aiming for is the brain. Hit him there, even destroy 5% or 10% of it and he's toast :toast: ... Not that kind of toast, the other kind.

There are plenty of situations where a .22LR is not only very capable but also safer than a centrefire on foxes, nobody is suggesting you should be pointing one at charlie 200 yards or more away with a sub, but a a blanket statement that they are no good and should not be used is innapropriate.

I think a .243, on the whole, is f*****g stupid on a fox, it is MASSIVE overkill but I don't keep shouting at everyone telling them not to use it!!

If it works for you and the situation dictates it, (just like a .22LR) then it is right, so lets stop these lectures which frankly I struggle to understand anyway!

Show me a centrefire owner that says he has stopped everything he has ever shot at and I will show you a liar!!

:thumbs: