Keepering on an estate in Tynedale, near Kielder Forrest, one season there were 5 sightings of a large black cat within a month, all within the estate. I saw it first, and was previously very scepticle of their existance. It was on a shoot day, a small wild pheasant drive, which is a small block of scots pine surrounded by reshes. I was way out wide as the beaters came through the wood, and I noticed a dark, low-set cat creaping up the bottom of a wall heading away from the wood. It reached the end where the wall met another wall(T junction) and I saw it jump over the wall, I could hardly belive it, and I ran over to get another glimpse, but didnt see it again. I had to bring in the rest of the drive as the guns were waiting(gutted). On another shoot day one of the pickers up saw it come out of a wood, sneaking along a shallow ditch, only just visible. The neighbouring farmer saw it twice and a friend of mine out lamping spotted eyes, then realised they were 30feet up a tree, he went to shoot but it lept down and dissapeared on the stream bank although he looked hard. We spent hours out lamping(mainly for foxes) but also looking for sings of the cat and all no good, not even a good pad mark.

Im not being big headed, but im good on my quarry ID. I would say its body was about 1 meter to 1.4 meters. Tail almost the same as the body, almost dragging along ground, and curved upwards at the end. Low lying body(about a foot/18 inches, (But it was trying not to be seen, so may be taller)Short but thick legs. Jet black colour.

Now I know for certain that they exist.

Who else has seen one, and does your sighting match my description?

Genuine replies only please, as between us we can find out more about them. And where they are thesedays.

The sightings ive mentioned were about18 months ago Northumberland. Nothing since.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was talk of them on wenlock edge near much wenlock in shrops over as far as church stretton,but i under keepered some of that estate and we never saw any sign of anything...they were meant to of been released in the 1970's when the law changed

There has been talk of one living in a wood about 2 km from where i live, it has been seen by two friends of mine and pad prints have been found and photographed, it was described to me as the size of a Labrador, long tail, and big head, but not like a panther more like a lynx from what i was told, this was from a distance of just over 100 yards. I lamp the fields surrounding the wood regularly and have never seen it or anything like it, I would probably shoot it if i did.

ss06

Guest manda

this has already been covered but anyway we seen one when i was about 15.. and my biology teacher used to live on the edge of the woods where i seen it (durham area) and he had seen it twice, about the size of a labrador, i must have been a good 60 yards away and it was more frightened of me lol aint seen anything like that again but they are def still there whatever they are :blink:

I thought i saw one was out a walk with the dog and was walking home along a country road when it ran up the side of a river bank jumped a wall onto the road across the road over another wall and along the river bank again it was a lab i was walking and it must have been just a bit bigger than him jet black long tail the same description as everyone else maybe they are out there :icon_eek: and only about 15yrds away

a f*****g shat my self when it happened didn't know what to make of it

Jason

Edited by scotlandforever

I have never seen anything but i did a bit of research on this a few years ago, when i was about 15/16. Me and my mates used to mess about on 'the common' not far from me. Its heavy with heather and various woodland sections. Also in-undated with rabbits.

It was in our local paper that an old woman had sighted a panther/puma/lynx or similar big black cat. And my mate whos nan lived on a farm next to the common said she had lost sheep to what she had thought must of been bigger than a fox or dog.

Anyway we researched it loads and spent hour after hour, day, night, misty mornings, foggy evenings etc etc, in all conditions and all over the place, even slept up there once or twice, just to get a sighting but we never saw a thing except some very large paw prints in the snow that didnt re-semble a large dog but did resemble a cats?!? I do deffo believe that they are out there though.

Any SOLID evidence would be quality.

Gaz

Guest joe ox

Me and my lamping partner saw one on the A66, about 200 yards away from the road in a field around the appleby area. About 10 year ago on the way back from lamping it was about 7.30am and broad daylight. It was 100% a big cat two of us saw it clearly. It was around the height of a farm collie with a long body with a tail nearly as long as its body and was jet black. I talked to a hill farmer in that area, he told me quite a few sheep go missing on the moors in that area every year.

Seen two or possibly the same one twice!

I think its a caracal or such after looking on the interweb, once i saw it in sillouhette so couldn't see the colour, second time was closer, the dogs had it cornered against a pallet :whistling:

WAS WORKING WITH WITH A FELLA WHO'S INTO SHOOTING. HE CLAIMS HE KNOWS SOMEONE WHO SHOT ONE. I ASKED HIM WHY HE DIDN'T SELL HIS STORY TO THE PAPERS SAID BECAUSE IT WASN'T ON HIS FAC .DONT KNOW WHERE IT WAS SHOT BUT THE FELLA THAT TOLD ME WAS FROM WEST CALDER

i've seen a couple in the last few years. when i was little there was a whole spate of sightings & attacks, including a calf torn to bits in a field opposite my best friends house. the only thing i've spotted recently was this:

post-6153-1207854926_thumb.jpg

might be a big dog's print, but where's the toenails?

spotted it just off a footpath, near my cousin's pheasant cover, where loads of muntys & roe pass through.

not the best pic, sorry!

Guest dog on
I thought i saw one ages ago.If you look on the internet there are some pretty convincing pictures of big cats in the british countryside.
IT SEEMS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING A LOT OF THINKING LATLEY YOU ALSO HAVE BEEN TRYING TO THINK OF A WAY TO GET ME OF YOUR BACK EVER SINCE YOU READ SOME THING WRONG THAT I WROTE AND YOU DECIDED TO VOICE YOUR OPINION OF ME \\INCORRECTLY //NOW IT SEEM YOU ARE TRYING TO GET THE HELP OF THE MODS BY ACCUSING ME OF MESSING WITH YOUR \\PASSWORD RESETS// WHAT EVER THEY ARE IM NEW TO COMPUTERS ONLY HAD ONE FOR 3 MONTHS ANY WAY I KNOW NOW HOW MUTCH OF A LIAR YOU ARE AND I HOPE EVERY BODY ELSE TAKES WHAT YOU SAY WITH A PINCH OF SALT \\WHET BEHIND THE EARS//HAVE A SHIT LIFE ALL THE WORST \\DOG ON// sorry to add this to this topic but i know he will get to see it Edited by dog on