Is snaring/Trapping Humane?

HUMANE:

Marked by sympathy, compassion or concern for other humans or for animals.

You only have to read the topics on here so see how much effort goes into getting catches right, clean and efficient with minimum suffering.

A well placed, up to the job trap can be quicker than many of the humane abattoir practises.

CARL ,first off hello and welcome to the site ,

Well you ask if snaring,& trapping is inhumane ,put it this way if you were a farmer who had a farm on which your lively hood depended to feed your family and the place was over run with rats, squigs and rabbits.

Would you be prepared to spend a fortune planting fields of crops only to have your enitial investment ruined

no you wouldnt. That is when we are called in to help sort out the problem as in all walks of life some cruelty is invloved but is always kept to a minumum.

When a squirril finds a nest full of young back birds he eats them thats just nature being cruel most types of break back trap kill outright anyway so rats and squigs are mosty dead we snare squirrils on running poles and they drop off the pole resulting in a quick death, rats caught in benders also die quickly, we have been developing new types of snares now with breakaway eyes on them for rabbit snaring so no accidental catches of non target species are caught a land owner will allways opt for the cheapest methods of control and snares will allways play a vital part in controlling vermin its up to the idividual who sets the snares to be proficient and humane every rabbit must be dispatched quickly we dont intend to cause suffering intentionally the trappers who i know dont anyway , :no:

Any trap or snare is only as humane as the skill and the knowledge of the person setting it. Any device that physically restrains or kills any animal has the ability to be inhumane if set incorrectly. Before setting any trap or snare it is vital that all precautions are taken to ensure a swift clean kill or a humane live capture. If you cannot do this or your knowledge of trapping is minimal, then do NOT attempt to catch any species of animal....full stop.

Best Regards

Rolfe.

I have to just nod my head to everything already said on here. When we set a trap/snare, it is with the express purpose of killing an animal as quickly as possible. The word humane has little meaning when you see what man has done to man and his surroundings. A sympathetic approach is whats required. If you were trapped or snared (hung for instance) would you rather dangle or have your neck broken? I would opt for the latter. Todays trap and snare designs have in mind the fact that real hunters/country folk hate to see anything suffer. Traps are still being tweeked in every way to ensure a quicker kill.

Humane live catch traps have the same thing built in to their design. Some of them are down right comfortable!

Good hunting all - rant over...

H

Is Snaring/trapping a humane to kill rats,squireels and rabbits?do they have an instant death?

Thanks alot

Carl

A Fenn or Bodygrip trap will kill a rabbit allmost instantly if set correctly. Myxomatosis takes about ten days.What would you prefer?

carl, to answer your question, I'll first quote a line from your Introduction in the new members section

quote;I hope you will all be kind to me, not treat me like a kid but not be to harsh on me.

well asking questions, like the one you just have, will get you treated like a kid

but to your question, carried out in a proffessional manner, then trapping/snaring will be done humanely, thats not to say though, that animals out there dont suffer, when in-experienced kids who think its fun, try getting into trapping, without learning first,

but

the same can be said for most things in life, having a driving licence dos'ent make a person a good driver, they can still kill and cause uneccessary suffering,

is the hunting life for you?

Why`s that just because i don`t want the animal to suffer, just because i care about how an animla dies doesn`t make me a kid.I am not an anti i just don`t like to see animals suffer.

carl, to answer your question, I'll first quote a line from your Introduction in the new members section

quote;I hope you will all be kind to me, not treat me like a kid but not be to harsh on me.

well asking questions, like the one you just have, will get you treated like a kid

why should asking a question like the above one be met with such an answer?

surely as sportsman the animals welfare and human death regarding method should be one we ask ourselves each and ever time we venture into the fields ?

And as for asking questions isnt that how we learn prior to going out and finding out for ourselves?

It takes a brave man to ask such a question as was asked knowing fullwell it will be met with a certian amount of harshness ans possible acusations and even the all to common which hunt that seems to be getting more common on here.

stubby i dont mean to be picky, but cray fish dont suffer they are crustations and the do not have nerves, anyway, i dont know anything about snaring and dont claim to, but carl if you think you will be put off by seeing an animal squirm a bit or see a bit of blood i think you might be in the wrong game mate.

and im only 20, lots of people may class me as a kid, which is fair enough, and it does not make them old for calling you a kid, i think they just wiser than you( and me)

It does when they haven`t even seen me and are just judgeing me by my age so i judge them but there age.

I won`t be put off by seeing blood or guts it`s just the thought of the animal going into one of my traps or snars and not dyeing instantly or near instantly and it`s just stuck there for ages having a slow aggornising death.But like you or near all of you said if it`s done right then it`ll have an instant kill.

So do ya need to have farm land to snare or trap on like what ya do in air rifle hunting or can you do it in a local forest that ain`t on a farm?Without permission.

Thank you

if you want to stay within the law, then yes, on land that you have permission on, that will also include your back garden/yard,

rats/rabbits/squirrel/mice all classed as vermin, and if you have a valid reason, then you can trap/snare/shoot/poison etc

thats not to say, that trapping/snaring does not go on, in non permission area's,

but if you were caught, you then cannot give the excuse of "farmer/owner,wants them cleared as they are pests"

as they are only pests, when they are causing damage to property/livelyhood/health and safety etc

ok mate, so take no notice of all the other replies stating answers to your question, you yourself state that your only 17yrs, which in my eye's is still a kid,

out of interest, do crayfish suffer when you boil them

Well you must be really old then,i`m not a kid and don`t like being called one, and crayfish don`t suffer when you drop then straight into boiling water.

GOD, designed the system , every day in life some creature or bird dies for another to live , nature is totally ruthless , any sign of weakness results in starvation and death when predators kill , and birds of prey kill they are anything but humane, they act on natural instinct , man on the other hand has the power to think , form solutions,and reason , therefore we as trappers try to be as humane as possible, the problem is the weak nanny state shields modern kids from reality and the hard facts of true life .

GOD, designed the system , every day in life some creature or bird dies for another to live , nature is totally ruthless , any sign of weakness results in starvation and death when predators kill , and birds of prey kill they are anything but humane, they act on natural instinct , man on the other hand has the power to think , form solutions,and reason , therefore we as trappers try to be as humane as possible, the problem is the weak nanny state shields modern kids from reality and the hard facts of true life .

Never a truer word spoken, well put Snareman. :big_boss:

Guest friedrice
ok mate, so take no notice of all the other replies stating answers to your question, you yourself state that your only 17yrs, which in my eye's is still a kid,

out of interest, do crayfish suffer when you boil them

Well you must be really old then,i`m not a kid and don`t like being called one, and crayfish don`t suffer when you drop then straight into boiling water.

what goes around comes around snare man. and i for one would love to see the days when we can pick our own birds from the back yard

and have tjhem for for dinner like it should be done.

chicken comes in trays these days and not in feather, iff only the world would wake up and see the real facts about our food, where it comes from

and what we do to protect it ie pest control.

Now come on guys - it's always been pretty civilised in this corner of the forum so lets not start bitching now.

It's a good question from someone with limited experience, (I think?) who wants to understand the realities of something before they get involved.

I'll tidy up the topic and just leave the factual posts.

John

:victory: