Ban plastic carrier bags

Guest greengrass123

Guest greengrass123

Driving through linconshire the other day all you could see was plastic bags stuck in the hedgerows ,what an eyesore never mind the danger to wild life. Apparently it takes up to a thousand years for plastic to break down. Myself id like to see them banned, in the same way lead shot was banned. :victory:

Where I live all the shops have agreed to get rid of them so are phasing them out. We've all bought cotton reusable shopping bags. Takes a while to remember to take them with you but it's no big deal and makes a huge difference to the environment. There's a few places doing this now I think.

The bags themselves are not the problem. It's people's careless disposal of them which causes unsightly messes and danger to wildlife. We recycle all ours as bin liners, and I suppose would have to buy a roll of bin liners if carriers were no more. The ones from Tesco seem to be degradeable, I keep a bag of rags in the garage, and have to replace the bag periodically as it deteriorates into shreds.

I too hate to see them blown into hedges, but I also hate old beds,fridges,bags of household waste and old chairs in the hedges too.

And note to Greengrass, lead shot is not banned, only where you are shooting over wetlands and the coast where wildfowl dabble for food.

Guest greengrass123
The bags themselves are not the problem. It's people's careless disposal of them which causes unsightly messes and danger to wildlife. We recycle all ours as bin liners, and I suppose would have to buy a roll of bin liners if carriers were no more. The ones from Tesco seem to be degradeable, I keep a bag of rags in the garage, and have to replace the bag periodically as it deteriorates into shreds.

I too hate to see them blown into hedges, but I also hate old beds,fridges,bags of household waste and old chairs in the hedges too.

And note to Greengrass, lead shot is not banned, only where you are shooting over wetlands and the coast where wildfowl dabble for food.

I was reffering to angling on the banning of lead shot which you will find i am right on that one.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Couldn't agree more about both banning plastic carrier bags and the worthless scum that speed past in their motors, chucking them and sundry other shit out their f*cking windows! The road I take into town is Daily getting more and more like an open land fill site! It does my head in just to walk down a short stretch of it now. There's a bottle - glass or plastic - or sweet bag or god knows what just about every f*cking step of the way! Give it another year or so and the entire length of our hedges and roadside ditch system will simply Be a f*cking land fill!

People come out of their houses into their motors and drive through our countryside viewing it as just something surrounding the black strip they're passing along on the way to where ever they're heading. B*stards!

And yeppers; I have my big bag, which I sling over my shoulder as required. I also have a smaller bag which folds into itself and zips up. That one's Always inside my 'poacher' pocket and gets reguler use. And, when I'm in town, I think nothing of strolling fifty yards out of my way to drop off a scrap of litter in the proper bin.

Guest greengrass123
Couldn't agree more about both banning plastic carrier bags and the worthless scum that speed past in their motors, chucking them and sundry other shit out their f*cking windows! The road I take into town is Daily getting more and more like an open land fill site! It does my head in just to walk down a short stretch of it now. There's a bottle - glass or plastic - or sweet bag or god knows what just about every f*cking step of the way! Give it another year or so and the entire length of our hedges and roadside ditch system will simply Be a f*cking land fill!

People come out of their houses into their motors and drive through our countryside viewing it as just something surrounding the black strip they're passing along on the way to where ever they're heading. B*stards!

And yeppers; I have my big bag, which I sling over my shoulder as required. I also have a smaller bag which folds into itself and zips up. That one's Always inside my 'poacher' pocket and gets reguler use. And, when I'm in town, I think nothing of strolling fifty yards out of my way to drop off a scrap of litter in the proper bin.

Dont pull your punches DS tell us how you really feel.

I was reffering to angling on the banning of lead shot which you will find i am right on that one.

Yes, dead right greengrass. Being a shooter rather than a angler (well not for years anyway), I only thought about lead from the shooting point of view.

Main thing is, we all want to see the countryside clean and tidy. I stopped yesterday on a quiet lane and picked up 5 lucozade bottles all lying together.

They didn't all congregate their by accident, some dick must have pulled up and "tidied his car". When people can do this sort of thing, I really wonder how (or if) their mind works.

Was out walking along a stretch of canal during the week. The plastic bags were adorning the bare hedgerows and trees......the ducks and water hens were swimming throught the plastic bottles, beer tins and crisp packets floating on the water...... the dogs were investigating the abandoned sofas and fridges in the ditches..........how picturesque! (and the tow path was covered in dog shit as well). Makes me wonder what a bunch of ill reared dirty bolloxes live aroung the place. The thing that really gets me is that all you have to do around here is phone the council and they will send two men and a lorry to lift old furniture etc for FREE!!! DIRTY DIRTY PEOPLE.

Guest greengrass123
What gets me is when dog owners pick up their dogs crap in a plastic bag, Carefully tie a knot in it then throw it in the f*****g hedge, WTF is that about then. :thumbdown:

That always makes me wonder what brain dead b*****d threw it. :wacko:

Guest craftycarper

lead shot is banned for angling, unless you are talking of large weight over an ounce, its been that way for a while now....specific sizes of lead split shot was banned in 1987 mainly to protect swans but also other birds and wildlife...

It beggers belief what goes through or more likely nothing goes through there thick skulls when they pollute all our environments.

They might as well drop there kacks and take a shit in the middle of the pavement.

There has to be more taught to kids at school to make them respect there environments, an advertising campagn by the government would help too.

People who chuck rubbish should all be treated as fly tippers, if it's from a vehicle then it should be crushed.

Edited by shepp
why not just use large paper bags , paper is more easly resycled, and if it did blow away it will biodegrade .

far to much pacaging nowadays

Just being seasonal.............look at the packaging on Easter eggs:

CARDBOARD BOX

PLASTIC AROUND THE EGG

TINFOIL AROUND EGG

PLASTIC BAG AROUND SWEETS INSIDE EGG

Anways...............enjoy your Easter eggs everyone, I certainly will! :tongue2: